Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

Splash screen seeking agreement when joining a non pvp server

Question

This  might  make a difference,  .......

How about a splash screen appearing  before you join a   non PVP  server  stating the  conditions  of  playing, ie   No PVP , harassment  or  anti social behavior, - and    requesting   the player to  agree  or  not agree to these  rules.    The  " I agree" button allows you to proceed,  the" I do not  agree" button sends  you back to the   start menu. The screen can also mention the breaking of these  rules could result in a ban from this  server.

Any  comments?   not the perfect  solution, but  at least  it  worth a go..B|

7 replies to this bug / suggestion

true.  Only  reinforces  my comment that griefers  cannot  or  do not want to read .... and if they did, they do not understand, or lack the mental capacity to do  so ..:P

Anyone offended by the  above  comments  is obviously a griefer;)

I believe I said this elsewhere, but there's really no point in trying to do anything other than Bohemia providing functionality that prevents players from harming others on servers configured by their admins as PVE.  Anything else relies on people to abide, and we all know how well that works.

The good news is that this is supposed to be in the next update 0.9 - and hopefully that's coming out next week.

If everyone was  nice to each other in the world and  abide by the rules  .. there would  be  no need  for a police force, or an army to defend your country.   Didn't  John Lennon  say  "Imagine..." ?

The 0.9 has  great promise,  and although  the non pvp  option will be  welcomed , it will not stop some other forms of  non violent griefing....like that which  BB's  ship suffered, ,  or gardens  being ripped up ... or  things outside the PB range being  smashed "for the lulz" by  anonymous  players

Its a  great, positive start though, and as the wheat is  sorted form the chaff, the  game play will be  more  enjoyable;)

Griefing will always happen in multiuser environments even with agreed upon terms. My server had two signs you couldn’t ignore at spawn and a message spammed server wide every 5 minutes. We still had asshats and it was only controlled by actively monitoring the game and backups to see who’s doing nefarious things, banning the Bohemia ID and then sharing that ID with the other admins I trusted to reciprocate on similar terms.

In open sandbox construction games especially, there is too much opportunity for someone to do something that is “acceptable” by the game engine rules but “harassing” by social norms. Like building a pile of dirt around and under someone’s ship that is out on the open sea. Sure, we could probably implement protection barriers for ships, but the pile of dirt would just go around the whole barrier.

The easiest solution for that is restore from the most recent backup before the griefing event and hope you don’t lose too much work. 

The problem,  Baz , is when you make something  foolproof,  along   comes a better fool  :P

Griefing will always be in MP games..be it overt or  subtle. And there's those  who will cry "wolf" at everything  that happens,  whether its  griefing or  not  .and sometimes the  innocent   get  caught in the collateral damage.

All you can do is play the game in such a way that any damage can be mitigated, an do not leave yourself  open  to harassment   etc.

Easier  said than done  but at least BI are giving us  some  protective tools ...its a startB|