mid endian

One Key, Many Doors/Chests

Question

Okay, if the game can assign a key to a chest by its ID, why limit every chest to one? 

I don't know if this is temporary, but it is possible to have one key unlock several doors. Will this ever be a feature, and if not, why? 

• Upvote 1

15 replies to this bug / suggestion

door.PNG

I probably do not get what you ask for. Lockable doors and chests have each its own cylinder id. You can match your keys with doors/chests as you like.

In the Editor, this is easy to do.  In SP or MP, it is not.  It would be nice to be able to match a single key to multiple items in regular play, like having a single key to unlock every chest in your base.

I play cooperatively. So often I share keys.  I can end up with a keyring FULL and it becomes hard to find the one you need.  Currently, I color code them. It would be really nice to be able to have one master key. Then I would only have 3 keys in my ring, not 30.

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

I can end up with a keyring FULL and it becomes hard to find the one you need.  Currently, I color code them. It would be really nice to be able to have one master key. Then I would only have 3 keys in my ring, not 30.

lol, this is exactly what happened to me each time I play in multiplayer.. xD And often I just named my keys randomly, which lead to 'searching needle in a haystack' condition when I want to share it.. :D

*EDIT* have 'master key' is good, but if there is still key bug that would be nightmare. ^_^

Edited by V-Alfred

I have  found out you do not have to select the exact key   every time.   When  you approach a locked   door/chest .. open inventory and  right  click  on the key-ring.. you can then run around unlocking all your doors  chests, and re-lock them without having to  search through  keys ...it automatically  selects the correct one   B|

29 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

I have  found out you do not have to select the exact key   every time.   When  you approach a locked   door/chest .. open inventory and  right  click  on the key-ring.. you can then run around unlocking all your doors  chests, and re-lock them without having to  search through  keys ...it automatically  selects the correct one   B|

To open and lock yes, you just need to put key-ring on your hand(tool bar). But to share or duplicate keys in other hand, you need to choose which one that have been used to lock certain chest or door. To be honest, with good naming at the start, it won't be a problem. But it's worth to discuss I guess.. xD

Edited by V-Alfred
Change words

If you know you are likely to share, why not make a copy from the outset and leave in the chest it locks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSparkPlug said:

If you know you are likely to share, why not make a copy from the outset and leave in the chest it locks.

Nice suggestion. I never did that, maybe because every time I play multiplayer, first thing I wanna do (if it's fresh map) is getting all the techs (crafting station, tools), and exploring. xD

On 6/5/2018 at 3:34 AM, Houp said:

door.PNG

I probably do not get what you ask for. Lockable doors and chests have each its own cylinder id. You can match your keys with doors/chests as you like.

I was referring to normal play without use of the editor. Each key can only be assigned to one door or chest. When the devs lock the editor from existing saves, we're stuck in standard exploration maps with one key one lockable rule. 

My questions are, why and can't we use the same key on several items? I'm not following the logic here other than to force keys as a management nightmare the more lockable we have. 

I recall a movie where the guy explained why he sleeps in his car. Because if he got an apartment, he'd need another key. And if he got a job, he'd probably need another key for the office. And that's too many keys to worry about. But right now he just has one key to worry about. "I just like having the one key, it's clean."

I'm not sure why this info should be helpful. It is probably not. But the bbCakes/V-Alfred/Kimbuck exchange reminded me of it.

3 hours ago, stlnegril9 said:

I'm not sure why this info should be helpful. It is probably not. But the bbCakes/V-Alfred/Kimbuck exchange reminded me of it.

lol xD, maybe I should buy a bus in the future.. Home - office - vehicle sounds good.. :D oh well it's getting off topic, lets go back. 

3 hours ago, mid endian said:

My questions are, why and can't we use the same key on several items? I'm not following the logic here other than to force keys as a management nightmare the more lockable we have. 

lol, I wonder.. What's like "management nightmare" are you talking about?
I just wanna make sure we're on the same page, because we simply put keys to the keychain then use key chain to open or lock things, thats pretty simple. For sharing, just make sure you give proper name to your keys, or do like @TheSparkPlug suggested. ^_^

(Below is my suggestion, they're not in the game)
For more simple solution is using digital lock which can attach to things(not realistic) like this, you just need to put password. "Don't forget your password!" - Mr. Brain :D
20160201162006MVTR7OEEGP9X2_340.jpg

or even more super simple solution by using fingerprint lock like this, just make sure you don't lose your fingers. xD
digital-cabinet-fingerprint-lock-500x500

Perhaps when we can mod the game. Making a strong room inside the player generator can keep everything down to one key. 

Or none. Hammer makes the ultimate key

I have been playing for only a couple of weeks now, so though I have created a few blank keys, I have not ventured into looking as to how I would attach them to anything. One thing I have noticed is, from the keys I have found, all I need to do is place my key ring in one of the active slots and I can unlock anything that has a key in that ring without having to find the individual key to do so.

Even with the ability to load your key ring with a few dozen keys, there is a very practical use for being able to associate a key with more than one item.

When I build a base online, I tend to put up temporary walls and doors to secure parts of it at a time, as it comes together.  Problem is, if I assign a key to a door, then deconstruct that door, I now have a wasted hunk of iron in my key ring.  I could "break" it and create a new key, but it would be so much less hassle and less wasted iron to simply reassign the orphaned key to the new door.  Especially if all my workstations are deconstructed "in storage" as I tend to do while my base is under construction.

To simplify the feature request, it would be this:  If you have a lockable item that does not have a lock code assigned to it yet, applying a key would assign it that key's code, regardless of how many other items also share that code.