Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #39

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

A week ago, we released the update 0.9 “Comfortable Cooperation”. Considering the massive size of the update and the effort it required, it went rather smooth. There were some issues though, so I’ll address them here and tell you what our plans are for the new features.

New GUI

Firstly, let me thank you for how constructive and civil the feedback you provided was. We understand that the change is rather big, and some things are a bit controversial (or they may seem that way especially because we weren’t able to have everything working in the way we wanted).

In the past days we’ve gathered a lot of feedback - some of it confirmed what we knew was not ideal and needs adjustments, but there were some interesting points made as well.

• The most passionate reactions were definitely related to the new full screen mode. The fact that you now lack information about what’s going on in the world while there’s a lot of seemingly unused space. We are already working on a proper notification that the player is being attacked (that’s what the hearts in the top left corner are meant for). We have plans for some more elements that will fill up some of the empty spaces - also the large empty rectangle shown to the right side of the catalog and inventory will contain vicinity slots.
  • We have been experimenting with various amounts of background transparency, which is what you’re asking for the most.
  • We will be adding some buttons that didn’t make it into the new GUI (like the “Take all” button).
  • There are several hints (and all tooltips) missing that will be added as well.

An important thing to say is that we will be releasing the changes in a patch - no ETA yet, but we won’t definitely keep you waiting until the next update is released.

Blueprints

While still lacking in some ways (placing of the blueprint is currently rather “unforgiving”, we will be improving how the materials can be fed into constructed blueprint and so on), the blueprints seem like a very solid addition that will come in handy in many situations.

Sharegames

This is a big one. A completely new, unique feature not used in other games still needs some adjustments, but it seems to be working as we expected and it’s only a matter of time before more players find how handy this feature is. We will be polishing it (and advertising it) a lot in the upcoming months.

YlandsFallout.png
Hmm, this looks strangely familiar ;) (RedRocket Truckstop courtesy of @lunz)

Ylands name

One of the steps needed to give both us and DS admins more control over the game was the introductions of the Ylands / game name. This will also eventually lead to the creation of some sort of friends list, which will be useful in many ways. Some players have experienced issues when trying to link their account with the BI account and realized that their name was already taken (even though in reality it wasn’t). We’ve disabled the account linking until this issue has been resolved and will help said players by fixing their entries in our database.  

Speaking of linking the account - some players also reported that they had lost their progress after linking. We're looking into that as well (we should have more info later next week) - we will get in touch with you (or you can contact @Ane) and it shouldn't be problem to get you your progress back - nothing has been deleted from the database.

Please note that we’re always ready to fix any problems you may encounter, be it related to your game name, coyns, or anything else. Just let us know and we’ll take care of it.

That’s it for today. Please keep providing us with your feedback and we’ll talk again next Friday (where Q&A will return) - this time about 0.10 and the new visual scripting. Until then you have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 1

Looking foward do this GUI changes :)

will we have more Blueprints in the store to buy in update 0.10?

Have a great weekend everyone

One thing you didn't mention regarding blueprints.  It is not so much that the placement is unforgiving,  but more that it just plain doesn't work right. I have placed four of the ones from the coyn shop. One worked perfectly. Two placed an extra workstation that does not disappear upon completion. And one will not work at all. I got a non-working workstation and no way to remove it. 

I did build a blueprint of my own, and have placed it on two different MP maps and it worked perfectly both times.

It's a great feature. I would like to suggest two minor additions: a thumbnail in the inventory. And a list of building supplies needed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the update, and the update on your next update :P
As for the blueprints, I'm looking forward to seeing more ( when the time is right of course)
I've placed down 6 blueprints across 3 different games and modes. I've been lucky enough to have only one not work so far.
The workstation and greenhouse are my favourite's and hat's off to whom designed them :)

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, olliolse said:

i just think… cows in ylands!?

I also think it's a good idea on temperate islands like mine. We have thousands...

Chickens! 9_9

I think I gave all experience I got after 0.9, hopefully  everything will be sorted well. Good luck and keep up the awesome work  Devs! I'll wait for 0.10 update! *Cough* the new visual scripting *Cough*:P

20 hours ago, olliolse said:

i just think… cows in ylands!?

OHHHH!!! & chickens! OMG I bet they'd be so cute. The animals in this game are adorable, makes it hard for me to kill them. Hurts my soul when I kill crabs, pigs or goats cuz they are so damn cute, but you have to sometimes...:(

13 minutes ago, JMeJ2 said:

I'm stupid excited for pets...

Welcome to the team!

• Haha 1

In the inventory, It would be nice to be able to delete all the stack of an article at one time. 

Can you set the keys of the gaming mouse for example to open the inventory with a click?

On 6/15/2018 at 10:39 AM, bojo2736 said:

I got a non-working workstation and no way to remove it. 

You can go into the Editor, delete the messed up Blueprint Machine, then click Un-Do at the top in the Editor. It works for the people on my Server, unless they place more than 1 Blueprint Machine down trying to "fix" it themselves. It seems like the "placement" of the machine isn't always "connected" to the Blueprint. I hope this helps you. Take care.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:04 AM, Aleš Ulm said:

Please note that we’re always ready to fix any problems you may encounter, be it related to your game name, coyns

I still don't have the Coyns from the beginning (December 14th, 2017), when we were supposed to get double the 4600 Coyns, equal to 9200. I still only received the initial 4600. I did contact ya'll back then like the News feed said, but never heard anything. My account is linked and has been since then. Thank you for your time, btw Love the Game!

On 6/15/2018 at 10:04 AM, Aleš Ulm said:

(RedRocket Truckstop courtesy of @lunz)

And the RedRocket Truckstop looks AWESOME!!! Great job lunz!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeunekeum54 said:

In the inventory, It would be nice to be able to delete all the stack of an article at one time. 

Can you set the keys of the gaming mouse for example to open the inventory with a click?

You can.  Choose the item, hold CTRL and perform whatever action you want. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well got my exams/end presentation this week, so after that I really hope to get some more pc gametime and get some quality time again on Ylands. 

Thanks for this update and I am sure that the "bugs" will be fixed soon so we can enjoy this update at its full 100% :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

You can.  Choose the item, hold CTRL and perform whatever action you want. 

this is what I do too...

17 hours ago, StoutCrusher said:

I still don't have the Coyns from the beginning (December 14th, 2017), when we were supposed to get double the 4600 Coyns, equal to 9200. I still only received the initial 4600. I did contact ya'll back then like the News feed said, but never heard anything. My account is linked and has been since then. Thank you for your time, btw Love the Game!

You didn't get extra coyns for linking the accounts, only those who purchased the game before it was out on Steam received the total of 9200 (I'm assuming this is not your case).

• Haha 2

On 6/17/2018 at 1:04 PM, Ane said:

You didn't get extra coyns for linking the accounts, only those who purchased the game before it was out on Steam received the total of 9200 (I'm assuming this is not your case).

Dang, you're right. I read that report so many times, and can't see how I could have missed it all those times. Yet, there it is midway through the 1st paragraph. Duh! LOL!

I didn't find out about the game until you could no longer buy into it from the website. But picked up the Trial and made of video on Dec 3rd of the Alpha Trial. Then picked up the game on Dec 6th on Steam. It's funny going back and watching those videos; using a knife to harvest the fur and meat. Hard to believe it's been 7 months. Great Game! =)

Thanks for the response.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm on multi-player after the upgrade and I had to start over on the island. I'm okay with that part. When I use the raft or boat, the ylander uses the correct items to interact with and the compass is in the upper right hand corner of the screen. However, after the upgrade, when sailing on the ship, the ylander does not "take the wheel", it just stands there and the compass doesn't show on the screen. Is this an issue for others? 

3 hours ago, Sandyxg said:

I'm on multi-player after the upgrade and I had to start over on the island. I'm okay with that part. When I use the raft or boat, the ylander uses the correct items to interact with and the compass is in the upper right hand corner of the screen. However, after the upgrade, when sailing on the ship, the ylander does not "take the wheel", it just stands there and the compass doesn't show on the screen. Is this an issue for others? 

Yes, it is a known issue, it will be fixed :)

• Thanks 1