Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #40

Hey there, fellow Ylanders!

Once again, the time to talk about the plans for the several upcoming months has come.

This is actually a very important point in the Early Access development process. So far, we have been adding new features with a rather great speed (for those who came at a later date, I suggest checking the 26 updates on this page). There is just one last really big new feature coming - the completely new visual scripting system, coming in 0.10.

We have been fixing issues as well (we have fixed thousands of them already), but now we’re getting into the last phase, which is mostly about fixing and polishing. You will see some results already in 0.10, but as soon as we get 0.10 out of the door, most of the team will start working on fixes and improvements.

We have lists of dozens of features that need some love - from “details” that make playing the game either less fun or make it behave in unexpected ways, to things that are bordering on being unusable. Things like not being able to equip items directly from containers or not being able to remove stuff prepared in workstations. Things like not being able to take your car or horse to another yland with a ship. Not being able to hit another player in combat. Weirdly working animal AI.

Hundreds of issues that are “proper” bugs - problems with UI where objects can get stuck outside of slots. Features not working as they should. All those remaining MP issues.   

We all also know that the game needs to run much better before we leave EA.

We would like to thank you all for your patience and for staying with us this far - we understand that from your point of view some of the decisions we made (like to keep adding new features ;) ) may have felt less than ideal, but they were necessary. Now we have a game on our hands that still needs a lot of effort to get to a polished state, but we have pretty much all the features we wanted implemented, and have time to further test them as we move through the polishing stage.

There’s one last thing that needs to be mentioned when we talk about this. The date when we leave EA.

plane.jpg
This thing will fly no more ... but it will make one awesome place to live in! :) (Scavenged airplane house courtesy of @lunz)

Initially we expected this date to be late August. Internally our plan is still to have the best version possible at that time, but since we’ve done our best to be honest with you so far, there’s no need to change this now - we don’t think it will be enough time to get everything in good enough shape. We went through all the features and came to agreement that some need to be much better and need radical improvement, and not just some quick fixes or hacks.  

So it is more than likely that we won’t be leaving EA at that time (and yes, I do remember you telling us so ;) ). On the other hand, I think that for you this doesn’t really mean that much - one way or another at the end of August the game will be much better in many aspects, and if it takes a month or two more to get things done... then be it.

We will keep you in the loop. Actually, it will be a time when we’ll try to be communicating with you even more actively than ever before, because every feedback will count.

That’s it for this week. Thank you and - until we talk again - have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 3

Thank you for the update and keep up the good work.  Any idea when 0.10 will come out?

Edited by Seito-7f815597a5e33528

Awesome Ylands Team, after 0.10 there will come "Quality of life" updates. Sounds good. Thank you for your patience in handling those stressful bugs and maybe some player's problems too, Devs! :D

Edited by V-Alfred
I seriously have problem with English, need to learn more.. :D
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

but since we’ve done our best to be honest with you so far, there’s no need to change this now - we don’t think it will be enough time to get everything in good enough shape. We went through all the features and came to agreement that some need to be much better and need radical improvement, and not just some quick fixes or hacks.  

I think I speak for all of us when we say we don't mind this project taking time. We just want to enjoy a proper fixed product in the end and (I guess I can only speak for myself here) I totally support delayed release! 

Better a great delayed release then a poor quick release in my humble opinion. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Better a great delayed release then a poor quick release in my humble opinion. 

Yeah so do I..

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Wait a sec.. I feel déjà vu.. it feels like I said something like this before.. xD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So when you say you guys need to fix bug and stuff...do you mean optimization with how things load in and when playing around on a island. Becuase i run this game on a 1080TI with i7-7700k, and im still getting spike lags which when a walk around, turn around my charachter, or even horse riding.  Even from standing still to going into moving sometimes results into a spikelag...and i fall of high places killing myself.

Nevertheless, i still like the game, but i hope when you guys go out of EA, you better have fixed those lag problems, also for multiplayer because thats what gonna make this game greater when you go out of EA and the new players wanna play with their friends.

Thanks everyone for your comments :) 

@Nirish Exactly, leaving the EA without fixing things like this is not really an option.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Seito-7f815597a5e33528 said:

Thank you for the update and keep up the good work.  Any idea when 0.10 will come out?

?

I think it's safe to say sometime at the beginning of August ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think I could ever be more proud of the values you guys have as devs. It's great!
But I was wondering about the pet system? Is it a customizable thing or more of a +1 system? 
I understand that animal AI is something that will be working on later down the road, but this whole pet system got me curious. :) Maybe a tiny hint about it in the next Dev Diary? pls

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iamSleepl3ss said:

I understand that animal AI is something that will be working on later down the road, but this whole pet system got me curious. :) Maybe a tiny hint about it in the next Dev Diary? pls

We'll be talking about pets a little bit more in 2 weeks or so :)

• Like 1