Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #54

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Last week we looked at what we've done so far, so today we'll return to the present and let you know what's going on right now.

You may like to hear that we've already fixed some of the issues that have been annoying both you and us for a long time (for example we - hopefully - fixed all the remaining issues where objects ended up stuck outside slots), we've done first updates and improvements to the new GUI (with much more to come), and more...

We are making some final touches to the new visual scripting system (I know I always say it's awesome so that you don't think things got worse somehow - it still is awesome, and we just can't wait to see what cool and weird games and contraptions you'll create with it).

Animators are finalizing flying pets, which we decided to start with. We already told you there will be a parrot so maybe this is a good time to give you at least a hint on one of the other pets you'll get to meet. Let me say that it's... a flying one (you probably figured out that much, right?), yet it's something you don't usually see flying in real life. And if you browse ylands.com a bit, you just might spot that peculiar animal.

SpylerPets.jpg
  @spyler.1989's take on creating his own animals... too bad fish can't fly! :P

Some of you may know that Ylands is built with Unity. Even though we managed to optimize the game somewhat over the past months, the current state is nowhere it needs to be. The good news is that the latest versions of Unity give us much more control over the problematic systems. These Unity features are rather new and so it can a bit tricky to "tame" them, but we are very excited about the potential they open. It's definitely one of the paths we're taking that will lead us to a nice, polished and well-running Ylands 1.0.

Speaking of optimizations – so far, we lacked proper tools to map what progress have been made. Many times, some improvement we made helped with some specific case while having minimal or no effect over other features or situations. We are working on a new automated testing system that will let us keep you better informed about our progress by providing you with some relevant data.

And that's it for today. We'll talk to you more in a week - until then you have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Tameable dolphins would be awesome.  Or large seahorses you can ride.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

It's... a flying one (you probably figured out that much, right?), yet it's something you don't usually see flying in real life. And if you browse ylands.com a bit, you just might spot that peculiar animal.

Hmm... If ylands.com literally means the homepage, then I would bet you mean a dragon. You don't see it flying in real life but it wouldn't be weird to see it fly. And I think it's portraited on the banner on the castle tower in the main picture . Or it's not any riddle and I'm just making it harder than it needs to be :D Than it would be a flying fishxD

EDIT: If you can't see the dragon on the homepage, here's a better resolution, dragon in red on blue and yellow background 

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

Hmm ... Si ylands.com signifie littéralement la page d'accueil, alors je parierais que vous voulez dire un dragon. Vous ne le voyez pas voler dans la vraie vie mais ce ne serait pas bizarre de le voir voler. Et je pense qu'il est représenté sur la bannière de la tour du château dans l' image principale . Ou ce n'est pas n'importe quelle énigme et je suis juste en train de le rendre plus difficile que ce qu'il doit être  :D Que ce serait un poisson volantxD

EDIT: Si vous ne pouvez pas voir le dragon sur la page d'accueil, voici une meilleure résolution, dragon en rouge sur fond bleu et jaune 

It would make a lot of people happy! :D

17 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

It's sharks. Flying sharks. Amirite??

What do you mean? We already have those in the game! :P

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

Hmm... If ylands.com literally means the homepage, then I would bet you mean a dragon. You don't see it flying in real life but it wouldn't be weird to see it fly. And I think it's portraited on the banner on the castle tower in the main picture . Or it's not any riddle and I'm just making it harder than it needs to be :D Than it would be a flying fishxD

EDIT: If you can't see the dragon on the homepage, here's a better resolution, dragon in red on blue and yellow background 

I have thought for a while that the dragon will be added. A "big boss" was mentioned in one of the updates.  We have all the animals that are statues. Except the dragon.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, DanielCoffey said:

I reckon it will be this little chap from the Roadmap page...

Capture.JPG

Pigs might fly!

• Upvote 1

what about  feet for the land sharks? I keep getting one spawning   amidst  the rubber trees  O.o

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DanielCoffey said:

Capture.JPG

I completely forgot about this one :D Having a flying boar would be great! 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

I have thought for a while that the dragon will be added. A "big boss" was mentioned in one of the updates.  We have all the animals that are statues. Except the dragon.

I think that dragon is too much common boss to be in Ylands. As they say, stay tuned. Such an interesting world as Ylands needs as interesting boss. But I wouldn't mind to have my own minidragons similar to Daenerys right after her dragons hatched

• Downvote 1

Would it not be more like a Wyvern? Because you did say a Pet...I can't imagine you would let a player control a full on Dragon. As for Boss fights, I think the Kraken or Dragon would be great. I mean we could just go all Witch like and have Flying Monkeys...it was popular for a certain movie with a certain Witch. =P

On 7/21/2018 at 2:14 AM, DanielCoffey said:

Capture.JPG

I hope not. A flying boar would look out of place in this game. 

• Upvote 1