Ane

Sneak Peek #57

Hey-o!

I thought this week we could talk a bit more in detail about one of the features planned for one of the upcoming updates (possibly 0.11), so that you can already start looking forward to it :) I also thought it could be interesting to have, from time to time, some of the team members talk about the things they're working on, so that you get an idea of who works in Ylands and who's working on what.

So this week we're having Tomáš, one of our designers, as a guest star :P He will be telling us about something that will take the level creation to a whole new level: the workshop compositions integration in the Editor.

Let's hear what Tomáš has to say! :)

Some of you may know the feeling: you enter the Editor, start a new empty scenario with this cool idea for a game, but first you actually need to create the assets for it. For a character to visit a neighbour's house and have a friendly chat in there, you first have to build the house. For a mysterious quest into an abandoned lighthouse, you first want to have the lighthouse ready before making the quest itself. And those situations repeat themselves and can get a little bit tedious, since at the moment you don't want to build, but rather work on something else. For those who know what I'm talking about, well, here's some good news for you.

We will be introducing a workshop window inside the Editor. It will allow you to browse, filter, and use all compositions located on our workshop without the need to leave the game to the external website. With this new tool, you are able to quickly search for assets for your games, and creating new levels gets much easier. When you find a composition you like, you can simply click Download, it gets downloaded into your PC and you can start placing it into any game you are currently creating. So, if you want to concentrate on your quests rather than building, you can easily search for any composition made by someone else and have it in your level ready in a matter of seconds.

workshopscr.jpg

Bear in mind that this is just a representation of how it will look like, the names/compositions are not real :)

This is also handy when just trying features out or for quick prototyping. And eventually, when the user made database of compositions grows enough, you might be able to quickly create a level only by using premade compositions from the workshop, without the need to build a single structure by yourself.

So that is it for this week! If you have any questions about this feature in particular, or any other thing in general, leave a comment below! :)

Have a great sunny weekend!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Brbrmensch said:

so i guess optimization patch is on the end of next summer then

When it comes to game dev, not everyone does the same thing or has the same skills. It's a team of 50 and the majority are likely working on optimization and polish atm. They are just letting us know about new features those not working on polish finish. 

On 9/28/2018 at 9:48 AM, Ane said:

I also thought it could be interesting to have, from time to time, some of the team members talk about the things they're working on, so that you get an idea of who works in Ylands and who's working on what.

This is a GREAT idea Ane! I also do recognize 6 of the shown compositions/games in the photo, though 3 are duplicates. Looks and sounds like a great idea Tomas!

A brilliant feature, and certainly will improve quality of life.

Will players be able to upload compositions as well as download? A review feature would be a nice touch too.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:10 AM, Brbrmensch said:

so i guess optimization patch is on the end of next summer then

Luckily, I think you can not be more wrong :P The optimization is our No. 1 priority in last few months and I think it is safe to say a big improvement in game performance is coming relatively soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/10/2018 at 12:36 AM, Deadeye_Rob said:

Will players be able to upload compositions as well as download? A review feature would be a nice touch too.

Eventually yes, but not before 1.0. In the end we want the players to be able to do everything from within the game, but uploading compositions and editing info about them will come at a later date

This update will allow people to easily put in their compositions from the workshop without having to leave the editor. The composition creators (or, to be precise, those who want their compositions to be available to others) will still have to export them and upload to the workshop via website. This step will be implemented into the editor at a later time (not before 1.0).

• Thanks 1