Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #59

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

It’s a lot that Update 0.11 is going to bring to the table, so let’s once again uncover some of those features for you.

We’ve already mentioned that with 0.11 you will be able to find other ylands around you more easily. Eventually the ylands will pop up in the distance but until that happens we came up with a temporary solution that works like a charm. The ylands around you are indicated inside the compass that is visible when you're in control of a ship. Don't worry, though, that we would make it too easy for you. We all know how much fun the actual process of exploration is, so you can forget about seeing all the ylands appear on your compass right away :D You will still have to pack some food supplies as you set out into the great unknown...

And another new thing: we liked how our avatars looked, but who says they can't look any better? Well, certainly not us, because we've just improved them (and even their bodies to a certain extent). We even threw in some brand new ones. We're very happy with the result and the feedback we've been getting so far about these has been nothing but very positive.

Halloween.jpg
It's that (scary) time of the year again! (Halloween courtesy of @spyler.1989)

We must make sure that when Ylands 1.0 is released all present features are working as they are supposed to. That leads us to the water simulation. If you don’t play the game in multiplayer, chances are you didn’t come across any of the truly serious issues, but in multiplayer this feature can become a real nightmare - resulting in some very unpredictable behavior and even severe exploits. There's no easy fix for this, the water system needs to be rewritten. Once that is done, it will look better, run faster without any issues, and we'll be able to simulate very cool things you asked for - like lava or rivers. Unfortunately we won't have much time to work on this before 1.0 is supposed to hit, so after spending a rather long time discussing this, we decided to disable water simulation in 0.11 and keep it that way until the system is reworked. That will happen some time after 1.0 is released in 2019.

What does this mean? Well, actually not that much :D Visually the water will still look the same. You will be able to swim both on the surface and below. There will be waves, ships will sail over it as they do right now. Only when you create a hole, the water won’t start flowing into it. You won’t be able to add water with the Terraformer.

We know that this is quite a change, but it's definitely not permanent (we would like to add at least some way of adding the water to selected areas in the Editor before the new system is available), and we feel it’s better to do something more radical like cutting a feature out, rather than releasing something bugged in an otherwise polished game version. Of course we'll gladly discuss this with you below this post!

That’s it for today. Have a great week, ylanders, and as always - stay classy!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Adding water with the terraformer is a nightmare anyway.  At one time you (or Ane?) said that water would be portable in game.  So if I want to make a pool I will be able to fill it in game.  Is this still in the plans?

• Downvote 1

Having water turned off like that won't be any more strange than what it's doing now.  I'm willing to wait for the better simulation.

• Upvote 3

Eh, your " Sneek peeks" show us more of what we won't see than of what we will see, and you guys talk like politicians using many words to say absolutely nothing! After all the hinting at making a " Big Splash" there won't be any splashing at all in 0.11.

• Haha 1

True, there will be less splashing in 0.11. :) As for how much we show/tell in the sneak peeks - sometimes they have more details, sometimes fewer. Especially now, when we do a ton of fixing and optimizing there isn't that much to talk about in detailed way. For example the biggest thing that 0.11 brings (along with a lot of other stuff) are quite massive optimizations. It is a huge effort in which actually most of the team participates in one way or another but most of what's going on is too technical to be discussed here and we are not going to show any numbers unless we have a final version. I can assure you that when we start working on cool new features again, we will make the sneak peeks great again!

• Thanks 1

Watching my Server start at just under 4MB, then jump to 20MB in 1 day of everyone exploring is something that I'd like to see improved. I'm afraid of what that would mean though. I understand that bigger ylands is what Ylands is moving towards and something about linking Worlds, or something of that sort. Even the thought of an Epic Monster in a World. Sounds like a HUGE undertaking to try to get coding rewritten to use less RAM and try to keep the File size small.

Man this game has SO much potential. I can't wait to see what it becomes!

P.S. is the Viking Ship model going to be a thing in the works to let us play with?

SnapShot(13).jpg

Hurry up with the lags and bugs .. Because players leave the game !

On 11/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, StoutCrusher said:

Watching my Server start at just under 4MB, then jump to 20MB in 1 day of everyone exploring is something that I'd like to see improved. I'm afraid of what that would mean though. I understand that bigger ylands is what Ylands is moving towards and something about linking Worlds, or something of that sort. Even the thought of an Epic Monster in a World. Sounds like a HUGE undertaking to try to get coding rewritten to use less RAM and try to keep the File size small.

Man this game has SO much potential. I can't wait to see what it becomes!

P.S. is the Viking Ship model going to be a thing in the works to let us play with?

SnapShot(13).jpg

P1 (me and @bb cakes_P1)  had this happen to us to with its most recent server and it really confused us. We hardly did anything in the file size just spiked up real fast. 

2 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

P1 (me and @bb cakes_P1)  had this happen to us to with its most recent server and it really confused us. We hardly did anything in the file size just spiked up real fast. 

Maybe we both have a memory leak then.