RedEagle_P1.

Petition to re-add first person view

Question

The recent Dev diary by ales let us know that they're removing the first person view from ylands. For me and a lot of other people who play this game first person view is the only view which we use. I find it essential to mining building and constructing and I love the close-up feel. If you'd like to have first person view be a long-term proposition please upvote this suggestion (see above). 

UPDATE: They have re-added a basic first-person view: 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 8

36 replies to this bug / suggestion

Ouch, for some reason only my second post appeared in here - what I said in the first one was (in a nutshell, I'm not gonna type the whole thing again :)  ) that lot of you think of 1st and 3rd person as something mutually exclusive when actually one of the possibility for 3rd person mode when used in tight spaces is to become sort of 1st person view - the camera would simply move where the character head is with it becoming transparent so you'll actually get the best of both world in one mode. This is definitely one of the improvements we want to try (actually the vent system will be a good place to test this) - I feel this needed to be said because you guys seem to think that when we talk about 3rd person camera it means the kind of camera that's pretty much useless in tight spots :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Ouch, for some reason only my second post appeared in here - what I said in the first one was (in a nutshell, I'm not gonna type the whole thing again :)  ) that lot of you think of 1st and 3rd person as something mutually exclusive when actually one of the possibility for 3rd person mode when used in tight spaces is to become sort of 1st person view - the camera would simply move where the character head is with it becoming transparent so you'll actually get the best of both world in one mode. This is definitely one of the improvements we want to try (actually the vent system will be a good place to test this) - I feel this needed to be said because you guys seem to think that when we talk about 3rd person camera it means the kind of camera that's pretty much useless in tight spots :) 

That would be really interesting. Having the system automatically change it would be great!  

I am having issues sailing. The sails completely blind me. Can they be made to go transparent when they cross the camera view?

• Downvote 1

I play exclusively in first person.  As a builder primarily, not a gamer, first person gives me much better control and speed.  There is no way I could, nor would, have built several of my projects in 3rd person.  Please, either greatly improve the vector aiming in 3rd person, or better yet, just leave 1st person in.  Something you already have.  

• Upvote 5

They also announced they were going to massively improve third person, so I'd rather wait and see how that pans out :) If it really is so much better it may not be a problem at all!

• Upvote 1

As a builder /content creator, I am with you completely on this RedEagle_P1. I play the game EXCLUSIVELY in first person mode! It is so hard to do anything in third person mode because then you have to somehow ignore your avatar and look through it to interact with anything. The people at Bohemia really need to run a poll to see if it would be a wise move or not before they remove features and functions in the game. I find that the biggest fail on the part of the devs with Ylands is in the communication department... they are simply out of touch with the needs of their community. 

2 hours ago, MyPa553ng3r_P1 said:

I play exclusively in first person.  As a builder primarily, not a gamer, first person gives me much better control and speed.  There is no way I could, nor would, have built several of my projects in 3rd person.  Please, either greatly improve the vector aiming in 3rd person, or better yet, just leave 1st person in.  Something you already have.  

Precisely!!!!!

I don't play FPP exclusively, but it really comes in handy with digging, planting, and quite a few other things.  I understand them saying it doesn't work right with some parts of the game.  I'm kind of okay with roughing it for a while and giving them some time to work on it, but this is something that will need to return to Ylands, sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 2

I agree, that all change can be seen as a good thing, but the first time I fall off my ship because I can't aim at my anchor, Ima say somethin.  Maybe not the first time, but you know what I'm sayin

I use first person a lot, and ordinarily would be willing to see how the improved third person pans out. However, for me, it is more about the frequency with which they remove features without any kind of prior consultation - sometimes even leaving us to find out for ourselves after the event.

The recent removal of a number of much loved/used blocks (simply because they didn't fit into some kind of OCD led rehash of the categories) is a prime example, but there have been many more. It is always justified by claiming to relate to performance improvement.

How long before we get...

"Great news guys, we have eradicated all lag, and reduced memory consumption by 99%. It does come at a small price - we have removed third person view, got rid of all of bulding blocks except stone, and done away with the ships - but I am sure you will agree that  this new, oceanless single island, game is much more enjoyable."

It just makes it more and more difficult to 'stay classy' ;)

Edited by TheSparkPlug
  • Upvote 1

I guess I don't believe that what they are replacing it with is better. 0.10.580 times burned, twice shy.

• Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

I guess I don't believe that what they are replacing it with is better. 0.10.580 times burned, twice shy.

You have a point and these days game devs, in general, push a game into EA just to get the money upfront then due to all sorts of mismanagement [financial and otherwise], the games never get finished. 

Edited by Chromedome2

I read the diary and while I was a bit concerned they will be removing 1st person view, no where in this diary did it say it would be permanent and not only that but they also go on to mention that 3rd person would be receiving better mechanics for exactly the reasons people seem to fear, which is being able to place things correctly in build mode. If you play exclusively in first person, then I can see how you would be upset. I'm not sure how 3rd person can manage to do what first person did in tight spaces or within structures for selecting and block placement. I'm hoping what they say they are adding will alleviate this gap between first and third person when it comes to precise construction and selection.

Edited by Antimidation

I'm not sure how 3rd person can manage to do what first person did in tight spaces or within structures for selecting and block placement.

The new building mode makes building better in 3rd person view in the new building mode - you can control how close to you the object you're placing is, which helps a lot. Please note that I'm far from saying that building in tight spots in 3rd person camera in 0.11 is just as good as it was in 1st person view - but it's been improved a lot and we will improve it even more in 0.12. You don't really have to think of 3rd and 1st person camera as two mode which are "incompatible" - for example I can imagine that under some circumstances (like building in tight spots you mentioned) the 3rd person camera can actually move pretty much inside character's head, resulting in a view very similar to one you have with 1st person camera. 

Based on you feedback we discussed the idea about having first person camera available as an "experimental" mode accessible via console and we will be adding it some time after 0.11. Please note that it being "experimental" means there will be no support for it - there may be visual glitches, controls issues etc present. When we start working on a new 1st person camera in the future, it will be done from the scratch, not by improving / fixing this obsolete code.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Also, based on you feedback we discussed the idea about having first person camera available as an "experimental" mode accessible via console and we will be adding it some time after 0.11. Please note that it being "experimental" means there will be no support for it - there may be visual glitches, controls issues etc present. When we start working on a new 1st person camera in the future, it will be done from the scratch, not by improving / fixing this obsolete code.

I think that is a good way to go for now. One example is our chalice game -- in the vent system its tight so we will explain to players how to activate first person mode. 

1st person is   very useful when you have to use a spade top remove  "floating"  little pieces of  dirt/stone.  If    3rd  person allows that, then  no quibbles from me.

I wont be taking my bat and  ball and   stomping off  home  :D

Edited by kimbuck
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, .Chou. said:

Until actual first-person mode comes back, I won't be playing anymore.

You might want to check it out before you judge. Also the dev diary says they will keep it as an experimental feature, unsupported. It will become a /cmdlist item, I believe.  Another example of the devs listenung to our requests.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Waited for the new 0.11 to cast my point of view....... i do miss 1st person, aiming for removing a log from a row of logs is still (very) hard to do, and 1st person for me always helped me out on that part, i even stopped building my wooden shelter from logs for now (i also love to play in 1st person from time to time).

And yes did notice the "zoom in" wenn in a tight place but still grabbed 3x the wrong log before getting the 1 i needed to remove while aiming for the right log.

Edited by A3_Melle