Ane

0.11: Peak Performance (19/11/2018)

I think the new buildsystem could be realy nice even without 1st person camera, but the problem now is that i cant build at all, pieces/blocks dont allign, it´s just red lines all around.

I tried to give it a real chance today and started building a ship, it took me 5-10min to connect 2 wooden beams!! i realy tried and gave it my best but it just dont work, something IS broken..

I been playing and building for 1705hours in this game and i understand that i have to get used to the new system but this is something else, it does not work...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bryd - Bee__P1 said:

I think the new buildsystem could be realy nice even without 1st person camera, but the problem now is that i cant build at all, pieces/blocks dont allign, it´s just red lines all around.

I tried to give it a real chance today and started building a ship, it took me 5-10min to connect 2 wooden beams!! i realy tried and gave it my best but it just dont work, something IS broken..

I been playing and building for 1705hours in this game and i understand that i have to get used to the new system but this is something else, it does not work...

Did you anchor your ship? When not anchored it makes small movements and blocks not always snap to grid. That was a issue also in old building system, but probably not that glaring.

1 hour ago, Rudy.cz said:

Did you anchor your ship? When not anchored it makes small movements and blocks not always snap to grid. That was a issue also in old building system, but probably not that glaring.

Yes ship was anchord... i will try again and see but i had a real hard time building on ship

Anchored in shallow water is problematic. Last night one of our new players was trying to build. He was anchored. When he picked up anything from the deck, his ship bounced like a bucking bronco. I dropped a log and when I picked it up. Same thing. He moved out to slightly deeper water and it went away.

• Downvote 1

try adding   dirt  to  shallow  water.... it  sometimes does not  work!  It only   "sticks" to    dirt  thats on the surface.:|

The edge water seems to be different than the deep water. It loads in separately even when the deep water doesnt load at all.

• Downvote 1

I did another try building a ship and now it works, far from smooth but it works... maybe becasue im at deeper water. But what usualy takes maybe 1 hour now takes 3 hours and im far from done 

issue with adding   dirt  to waters  edge ...might  be related to turning water off..but  cannot add dirt  under water... check out  screenshots

20181121071934_1.jpg

20181121072012_1.jpg

20181121072045_1.jpg

10 hours ago, Rudy.cz said:

Did you check the mini-tutorial found downstairs in the waiting lobby. The take on crafting is very simplified in this mini-game :) 

I stand corrected.  I thought you meant a  building mechanic tutorial, not the game tutorial.  Since I will never go to the game again, I don't care.

So there IS not tutorial for the new build mechanics? That's awesome.  Really awesome.

• Downvote 1

with the closure of the  pve   servers..and   the new goldrush games  that no one  seems to understand  how to play ...or  want,   p1  is  now  full of    bodies trying to get in for   a creative   stress free game ..instead they  just  give up on the  spawn island  on  P1 and the   lag  builds up with the  bodies. Despite  the performance  enhancements ...which are good ... the  game  still  starts to  drag after a while .  One  day, and its  as bad as before the update!

• Like 1

We uploaded at less than 5 mb.  We are at almost 22 mb in one day.  I guess we will see if the game can handle the load.  But from my understanding it's block intensive builds that will benefit from the performance enhancement.  Not MP.  So if we don't gain the benefit, my map will be dead before the weekend.   With the closing of official servers, they are coming to us. Most lagged out at entry and didn't make it in.   My map was littered with bodies. 

Yay.

• Downvote 1

Significant work was done labeling the assets.  But to what end?  You unstacked the Roman Numeral blocks to label them separately.  While you removed the size labels on blocks that we use all the time.

SMH

Ylands_181120_194036.png

Ylands_181120_194053.png

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

@Aleš Ulm are you listening to other opinions? 

I read about the new improved features coming. No idea at all how to use them. 

I try combat mode. I see changes in animations. But I have no idea how to access any animations. To be fair, no one would join me so I was trying to fight predator animals.

New improved 3rd person camera? Looks the same  to me. I can't see any way to access the promised ability to see past my own head. 

For me the grid snapping in build is an improvement. But then I was never able to succsessfully used G,and H. I have always had the slingshotting block syndrome.

Picking up multiple items. I had no idea to open up my inventory and look there. Why would I? 

And I see no performance improvement on my MP dedicated server. With 6 players on, I was reduced to 4 fps at one point.

There are weird visual glitches happening. Whole blocks of sea simply not loading in. Yes, I can still sail and swim, but it looks awful.

As you move / run from one area of the island and new land appears, I turn into a bald head as trees and plants load in individually.

My ship is behaving weirdly.  As I was stopping to talk to a nearby player, I came to a stop, attempted to flip the anchor lever. My avatar went off the edge of the boat and I landed in the water ON THE OTHER SIDE of the island.

The build system is so different, it's hard to know if it is working as intended, or just completely broken. My best friends in the game are thinking of moving on, and it makes me sad.

Don't just tell us that change takes time.  Between the three of us, @kimbuck @MyPa553ng3r_P1and myself, we have close to 7000 hours combined. Don't be so dismissive. We are not stupid. If we can't figure out how to use the whizbang features, it is because BI did a crap job of explaining them.

Don't be defensive and dismissive when we give the feedback you claim to want.

I've been on these forums for close to five years asking for players' feedback and if you take some time and go through its history you'll find that we've always listened and actually most of what players had been unhappy about was fixed or improved (with some features completely reworked) - so yes, we do want your feedback and we do listen to other opinions :) 

I honestly don't think I was being defensive - actually I think that when you read a message posted 14 hours after an update has been released saying that that things are super wrong and that several players have decided not to play the game anymore and others are planning to  the next logical step just has to be figuring out if it's really because of the update.

Also I just made a point that it takes time to get used to new things which was meant for every single player who visits this thread, sees the things in the similar way as the original poster and reads my reply. You may think that it's something that goes without saying but having released over 30 updates so far I can tell you that it's not that obvious to everyone and actually for pretty much every major change we released we always got some immediate "it's much worse than before" reactions so I think reminding players that these things take time never hurts. I think it's awesome that you and your friends have sunk so much time into the game and you without any doubts know the game inside out but to translate what I said into "I think you're stupid" is maybe going a bit too far. :) 

As for the issues you've pointed out - what we need right now is few days to process all the feedback and then we'll get back to you. I would like to mention one specific thing right away, though, the fact that you get very low fps in MP doesn't have anything to do with the actual game performance, it's due to MP issues (if you have some ships in the map it's very likely because of them - there are some other things that can cause this, though) which we promised to fix in 0.12.

• Like 4

Curiously, you haven't addressed the opening points in the post you quoted regarding communication.

Lots of new features were introduced in this update but none of them have ever been explained properly.

I've had to learn from other players about the ability to see nearby pickable items in our inventory. No one seems to know how to use the new hammer. I have no idea how to use the new fighting mechanics. The ctrl-mousewheel seems a poor replacement for the G/H and ctrl-WASD features we had before - yet you guys think its wonderful so I assume we're all missing something.

It would be nice if each update was accompanied by a detailed post explaining how any new features worked, and how we're meant to use them.

On a side note, I dont think you need a few days to process the feedback. It's pretty unanimous. 

• Like 2

Also please note that while some of the features may seem like we only adjusted how things are controlled etc., there have been some massive changes done under the hood (some related even to things that will come at later stage) so very likely there are things that will need additional fixing even though we put a lot of testing into this update (much more than with any other before). Doing major changes to a sandbox game is quite tricky  - but even though it hurts (and can, quite obviously, be unpopular) it is something that just needs to be done before 1.0 while still in EA. Once the game is released we won't be able to perform internal changes on this scale (or it will be extremely difficult).

So if you encounter any issues please report them and they will get fixed. Also do tell us what you like or don't like - although for the sake of discussion it would be better to maybe start separate topics ("How building needs to be fixed / improved" etc.) because things get always quite confusing when talking about various issues in one thread :) Thanks.

3 minutes ago, TheSparkPlug said:

Curiously, you haven't addressed the opening points in the post you quoted regarding communication.

Lots of new features were introduced in this update but none of them have ever been explained properly.

I've had to learn from other players about the ability to see nearby pickable items in our inventory. No one seems to know how to use the new hammer. I have no idea how to use the new fighting mechanics. The ctrl-mousewheel seems a poor replacement for the G/H and ctrl-WASD features we had before - yet you guys think its wonderful so I assume we're all missing something.

It would be nice if each update was accompanied by a detailed post explaining how any new features worked, and how we're meant to use them.

On a side note, I dont think you need a few days to process the feedback. It's pretty unanimous. 

There's nothing curious about that - I haven't yet addressed some other points as well :).

But so that it doesn't seem like I'm avoiding this specific topic - yes, I agree that many changes were  poorly communicated. I apologize for this - delivering this update was extremely difficult and we focused almost entirely on getting things done and communication suffered because of this. We'll make sure we will do a better job with 0.12 and every update after that.

12 hours ago, kimbuck said:

issue with adding   dirt  to waters  edge ...might  be related to turning water off..but  cannot add dirt  under water... check out  screenshots

We are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

We'll make sure we will do a better job with 0.12 and every update after that.

That will be good!   It might still be worth doing that for this update.

In the interests of balance, I would like to acknowledge the performance increase - it is very evident on my heavily developed yland.   I have also noticed my ship no longer moves each time it loads/unloads, I never saw this fix mentioned but it is nice - at last - to be able to put my ship back in it's dock and not find it sitting ON the dock a short time later!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

Significant work was done labeling the assets.  But to what end?  You unstacked the Roman Numeral blocks to label them separately.  While you removed the size labels on blocks that we use all the time.

Thanks for the report! What you mention wasn't intentional, we found an issue with the grouping in the Editor and we will fix it.

• Like 1

Hello to all,

Thought I might throw my 2 cents in.... just in case.

Positives are : 

1. New loading screen's and loading time is massively improved, this includes loading the game and also logging into servers.

2. You can walk/run on ship's now without getting thrown off... from our short experience so far.

3. Adding all the extra content that you can buy, and giving refunds for those who purchased items

4. The new combat features are nice, I'm not sure how effective as I haven't had the chance to battle someone.. but they look great.

5. Having more faces to hair styles to choose from is fantastic ( still no long haired guy though... that's not Jamaican?)

6. $^#! I got 15 FPS... nice improvement on the performance.... hopefully an area to keep improving on as time goes by.

7. Is it just me.... or have you made the Ylands more detailed in the landscape? I seem to find more coves etc now than before.. if this is the case... awesome job guys.

8. The new pets are totally bad ass... definitely on a home run with these.

That's the good point's I've found so far... I'm sure there's many more others can post about.

Onto the good stuff....

Constructive criticism:

1. Like everyone has been mentioning... FIRST PERSON VIEW... man oh man it has to be in game and I mean like it was before... an easy click on c and you've got a sensation up close view to see which way blocks are facing and also to move stations etc into the exact spot you want them. The new updated 3rd person view just doesn't work.... I'd love to know who tested this and gave it the tick of approval.... hmmm!!!!

2. Now this is a mixed bag... I like the new compass... but at the same time feel it's too easy to "find" ylands now... maybe that's just me, but I enjoyed the way it was before... some what challenging to find birds... but once you found them... connection connection.

3. I'll keep it short as I know others have mentioned it and it's under review.... logs and trees... ahh boy! Having them fall in stacks of 5 might be a better idea. Once again who tested this out?

4. The new gold games... ahh nice... great in fact to see the Ylands team creating games to mix things up.... but why remove ALL the explore ylands…. I'm still wanting to chase down that dam pig..... oink oink!

5. Ship's are now glitchy in a new way... after sailing I'm finding myself stuck and unable to move... unstuck doesn't help and only after reloading can I move are free will again. ( see attached photo)

6. Are the items from the editor ever going to be added? I've been asking this for a year almost with no response... so I'll ask again.... when (not if) will the editor items be added... as  you have added the purchased items I see no reason not to  add the comfy chair,iron pipe etc. So many amazing blocks and extra's we can't build in game... kinda sucks!

7. Have you taken the walk feature out? Or if you've changed the button could you please share this... as I used it to sneak up to animals... was very handy!

8. You can no longer colour your clothes using the dye stand... only by paint gun.... not sure why this is the case.... but I hope it gets changed back.

9. Animals are glitched a lot.... hey I don't mind too much as I don't get attacked and I can get leather easy... but I wouldn't mind a bit more of a challenge.

10. Changing the colour of the kiln etc hasn't worked for me in a very long time... was this taken out... or is it getting an overhaul?

11. The world is round... have you thought about making the world round... this might reduce the size of the world... I'd like to know how big the oceans are... as I've had Syxty Syx fall asleep at the wheel and sail for over an hour. (please see 2nd attached photo)

12. I think improved testing before updating needs to be a priority... especially when you entre full release. Do you have a testing team? 

That's my 2 cent's...  1272 hours and counting.... not as fast... but still counting.Ylands_181121_211640.thumb.png.5c06ccd0352e16e022708b4d75f0bbf6.png

5bf5439781d5c_syxtyshipexplore.thumb.png.74e3f6eff859d0be8ee82cad5157d6bd.png

Happy hump day all.

Chief

Edited by Indian Chief
had to add something
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ane said:

Thanks for the report! What you mention wasn't intentional, we found an issue with the grouping in the Editor and we will fix it.

Grouping is needed. But for me, so is size.  Both in editor and ingame. It used to be in editor. It has not been in the game.

I feel I need to clarify that I am not hating on the game. I love this game. I have over 2100 hours, most of it in the game, not the editor. I have spent most of it in the MP side, and a good deal of that out on the public servers.  @kimbuck and I have spent a lot of time and effort in the official servers reaching out to help new players find others to play with.

When @Baz Foobar closed his server, we built a really nice community on a public server.  When PVE was introduced as an option, @RedEagle_P1. reached out to us to come to P1 as a place to build our community. I stepped up to administrate his server, and @kimbuck and @MyPa553ng3r_P1 have spent hours and hours making it into a thriving community for Ylands players. I say all this to let you know that we are not fly by night negative nellies. We want this game to be the great thing we know it can be. 

I have shared my thoughts because I want you to know the issues we are facing. I did not just read about the issues @Aleš Ulm and @Ane. My friends and myself have been experiencing them. @MyPa553ng3r_P1 who is not greatly active here, but is greatly active both in the game and in building assets is finding the game unplayable. He is struggling so much with the changes and the lack of communication, he is possibly leaving the game.

My community is struggling.  And this matters to me.

There are things I like about this update.

Firstly. OMG sky sharks fall back into the ocean when you move towards them. I think those were leftover prepatch sky sharks. I haven't had a chance to play extensively, but I am hopeful that you have tamed them.

I personally have found the new grid snapping in build to be an improvement. I will note that it is because my building has always had issues with the front to back placement. I will get used to the guidelines, for now it is clunky. This does not negate the problems that my team has had. It only means that I have lived with building frustration for a very long time. It ain't a new thang to me.

I like the water being turned off. I look forward to the day it is fixed. For now I appreciate that it will not break the ocean in my map when players oops the shore.  

I am looking forward to trying the new PVP stuff. The problem is, I have nowhere to do that with the official servers gone.

I like being able to paint the vegetation. The options it opens up are pretty interesting.

I love the new loading screen. And it seems faster.

I love the new avatar options.

Edited by bb cakes_P1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Indian Chief said:

6. Are the items from the editor ever going to be added? I've been asking this for a year almost with no response... so I'll ask again.... when (not if) will the editor items be added... as  you have added the purchased items I see no reason not to  add the comfy chair,iron pipe etc. So many amazing blocks and extra's we can't build in game... kinda sucks!

7. Have you taken the walk feature out? Or if you've changed the button could you please share this... as I used it to sneak up to animals... was very handy!

8. You can no longer colour your clothes using the dye stand... only by paint gun.... not sure why this is the case.... but I hope it gets changed back.

10. Changing the colour of the kiln etc hasn't worked for me in a very long time... was this taken out... or is it getting an overhaul?

Hey Chief! Thanks a lot for you feedback, it's very useful and well constructed :)

A few notes about a couple of points:

6. You mean items that can be found in the Editor that can't be found in the "regular game"? Can you name specific items? Are they not in the Cube either?

7. Walk is turned off/on now with Ins key (in case of doubt, you can always check the control settings)

8. We just tested it and we didn't have any issue. Does this happen every time to you? If so, please open a new thread and explain how it happens (if you're playing on a server etc.)

10. Same for the kiln - we just tested it and it worked

Thank you again!

• Thanks 1

The armchair and ottoman are in cube, they are not in game. It would be great to be able to craft the. Also a matching  sofa and loveseat would be awesome.

Edited by bb cakes_P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you for the message back Ane.

Bb has beat me to the Sofa and Ottoman chairs.I'll have a quick look tomorrow and list the items which are all in the cube.. but aren't craftable. As I play on a MP server we don't use a cube, and as BB mentioned having them as craftable items would put a huge smile on a few peoples faces.

As for the dying stand, Stoutcrusher tried to colour my clothes with the stand and it just coverts back to the vanilla colour. I'm trying to colour the purchased leather armour... Stoutcrusher also had to colour his iron purchased armour. I'll open up a new thread tomorrow.

For the walking... thanks I'll check the button's.

Kiln etc I still can't get to change colour, it's still T and G?

• Like 1