Sign in to follow this  
A3_Melle

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-13344] logs drop in floor

Question

Wenn cutting down trees i noticed a lot of the logs were falling thru/in the ground, some i even needed to dig up before i could pick them up.

Inked20181119235856_1_LI.jpg

14 replies to this bug / suggestion

I see this as well.  They fall through, just below, and the new UI does not "see" them.

This is just after cutting a Tall Conifer:

Ylands_181119_202909.thumb.png.55fde4d6846c1c1051f6ad1f8629e19e.png

This is after I used the new system to pick up everything that it would allow:

Ylands_181119_202940.thumb.png.83b9c614677fc588b845f4d95708d881.png

I decided to dig, to see how much is there.  After digging, they became visible to the new UI.

Ylands_181119_203023.thumb.png.16e7ba15f6116929fd6e27cd3e68a4c2.png

I see them dropping into the ground, but I can pick them up.  What I don't understand is what change was supposed to have been made in picking up items?  I still have to pick up one by one like always.

7 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

I see them dropping into the ground, but I can pick them up.  What I don't understand is what change was supposed to have been made in picking up items?  I still have to pick up one by one like always.

If you stand near the items and enter your inventory, at the right you will see a grid with all items that are pickable near you.  You can click there to pick them up, or drag items there to drop them.  It works for loose items only, and not for harvesting plants or berries.

It also seems to have an issue recognizing items that are just below ground level.

• Like 2

That is not at all intuitive. How was I to know that? (Thank you, @Indomitus)

So now, how do we access the sooper dooper, so good we won't even miss 1st P, third person effects?  For the love of Bob, why would you change long embedded functions and not put instructions where players will see them ? Has BI never made a game before????

yes, I know they have. That was sarcasm

Edited by bb cakes_P1

It's certainly not what we're used to.  I'm trying not to be too harsh, though, because it is clear they are trying to make real improvements, even if some of the ideas don't quite work.

• Like 2

My biggest beef at the moment is the lack of communication. I still have not seen the question I have asked several times as to how one uses the enhanced capability of the third person camera. 

They knew going in this was a problem for some. The assurance was we would like the new version so much better. Maybe. But the only difference I see is the lack of 1st person. Which not only  causes problems in tight spaces, but now I can't take pretty screen shots. Yes I can use free camera, but it changes aspect.

• Like 1

This needs to be fixed now. We shouldn't have to wait for the next major update, so I hope we see a hot fix that deals with objects stuck below terrain instead of dropping on top of it.

In addition to the logs from cut trees, once or twice I've seen the tree itself drop just below the surface as I was chopping it.  And I suspect some of my mined resources have as well, but those are harder to see if it happens.

I have started using freecamera to peek below the ground and see if I have missed any pieces.  Should not need to do this.

14 hours ago, Indomitus said:

If you stand near the items and enter your inventory, at the right you will see a grid with all items that are pickable near you.  You can click there to pick them up, or drag items there to drop them.  It works for loose items only, and not for harvesting plants or berries.

It also seems to have an issue recognizing items that are just below ground level.

So help me out here.  I can open the inventory, I can pick them up.  But they aren't stacking.  So by opening the inventory first, i am not gaining anything but a couple of extra clicks.  Maybe "improvement" means something else in Czech.  I dunno.

Ylands_181120_193357.png

• Like 1

That's what I'm seeing too.  In the panel at the right, they will be stacked the same as they are on the ground.  In some cases, that means "not at all."  I guess it does gain a little more accuracy for what you can choose to pick up, but that is debatable.

I think it seems promising, but needs some work.  For example, the range is limited (especially dealing with the large drop area of a chopped tree) but because it is in the Inventory menu, you can't move and adjust your position without exiting and going back in.

In premise, I agree. But I won't use it in current state. It's just more clicks, not less.

Hello.

This issue will be fixed in the next hotfix update.

Based on your feedback we will also increase the range of the vicinity from 2 meters to 2.5 meters (it will match interaction range). We will not be able to increase the range further because we need to keep the looting consistent among all systems (focusing with your mouse and looting VS vicinity looting).

The vicinity looting is supposed to help with precision looting. When looting logs from a felled tree It should be easier for you to pick up only logs from the inventory then running around and trying to focus only logs between all the sticks, bark and seeds. 

Any additional feedback is appreciated as we definitely want to improve this system.

Thank you guys

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, TheSparkPlug said:

Stacking is a must. A 'take all' button would help too.

Thank you @JgrPower. Please note stacking and take all will make this a really useful tool. It would also be nice to have a destroy option. I foresee a day when my map is drowning in bark pieces.