Salvelinus

DEV ANSWER 1st person view doesn't work anymore

Question

Since today's update, I can't switch to first person view anymore.

As I saw that C-key is now used for construction mode too, I've managed to change my shortcuts so that there is no conflict. It still doesn't work.

PS : I also experience hit radius and logs in floor issues.

17 replies to this bug / suggestion

That's because the first person camera has been temporarily disabled. You can read about it in the changelog:

First person camera disabled - The first person camera was too buggy and not working correctly in so many situations that we've decided to disable it for now and recreate it from scratch. In this update we have addressed many situations where players used to switch to the 1st person camera because the 3rd person one didn't provide enough comfort. We are considering making 1st person camera available in some sort of experimental mode in 0.12.

Oh ok. I didn't notice it was mentioned, sorry for asking idiotly.

In my view, first person view is very useful in many ways, from planting and harvesting to mining in narrow places and accurately selecting the drops to collect (due to a small and unextensible inventory). As hit radius issue and combos are also disturbing for ordinary actions and can't be toggled down for the moment, I guess I'd better concentrate on another game while you're consolidating this update.

Thank you for your quick and kind reply.

No problem!

The plan is to make it available again at some point, but I can't really give you an ETA at this time, so feel free to step away from the game until it's back, if that's what you feel like :)

2 minutes ago, Ane said:

No problem!

The plan is to make it available again at some point, but I can't really give you an ETA at this time, so feel free to step away from the game until it's back, if that's what you feel like :)

That's the response? Go ahead and leave if you want?

wow. Just wow. Nothing like a friendly FU.

3 minutes ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

That's the response? Go ahead and leave if you want?

wow. Just wow. Nothing like a friendly FU.

They said they're thinking about playing other games because of the 1st person removal. It's still not certain when it will be back, so no point in me promising anything I can't keep. So this is nowhere close to a FU, but a "we understand your reasoning and we understand if you don't want to play the game right now". We'll work hard on the 1st person so that we can put it back as soon as possible :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have never had any issues with 1st person only in third person view. Camera was always jumping around in 3rd while in caves. I really hope you bring back 1st person and soon. My viewers love watch me and friend play this game but 1st person was a key to building for us. But we digress and understand it's early access. Please continue your hard work on my this game even better. 

The irony; I come back to see how cool everything is with the latest update after a few month gap and 1st person is gone.  I don't play 3rd person games so I'm hoping it comes back in!  

10 hours ago, mr fenix said:

The irony; I come back to see how cool everything is with the latest update after a few month gap and 1st person is gone.  I don't play 3rd person games so I'm hoping it comes back in!  

In the meantime you can play in first person camera by using the console command "/fpscam enable" (without quotes).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, I'll try that tonight!

Edit:

Played it.  Like it.  I'll tell my friends :)

Edited by mr fenix
additional comments
  • Like 1

Well, it's been a year. Version 1.0.0.83160 has arrived.
Anything new with the first-person camera?
The command "/fpscam enabled" is fine, but it's of little use if my avatar doesn't follow with its body the direction where I'm looking with the camera. Apart from not having the movements to move laterally without turning on my own axis.

52 minutes ago, geronimoao said:

Well, it's been a year. Version 1.0.0.83160 has arrived.
Anything new with the first-person camera?
The command "/fpscam enabled" is fine, but it's of little use if my avatar doesn't follow with its body the direction where I'm looking with the camera. Apart from not having the movements to move laterally without turning on my own axis.

We have talked about the FP camera in a few Dev Diaries and the plan is to implement it in 2020. We understand it is a long time coming, but we'll need to adapt it to everything in the game, so it'll still take time I'm afraid ?

If you want all players to be in first person by default, just put a custom camera on your map (set to FPS):

Ylands_201211_223912.thumb.png.fa0bfcd69efd25128cc88ce722db5785.png

If you want something more complicated, please just let us know and we can talk through how to set it up :) 

Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to add game logic to Exploration, so that is the one place you can't add it. Also, Exploration will be changing quite a bit in a week or two for update 1.5, and I'm not sure how much we will be able to edit the maps in exploration after the update, if at all...

Sorry I couldn't help more.