kimbuck

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-13608] ship steering locks up ...or doesn't work

Question

One of our players   ended up on my island  as a respawn  .. his  ship went in circles and he could  not stop it.  he   got drowned  when he was tossed off it   .

I took my ship with  him on board and we located the  ship   it had  stopped.   he told me  his other  ship he  built was not steering as well.

I then tried to turn back to my  island base...  my ship would  not turn   either direction.  I tried reverse...it worked slowly, but  would not  turn.

O managed to  sail to the island  straight  ahead ...and  as i released the  helm after stopping  was tossed overboard...   i was faster than the waiting  shark,  fortunately...

I tried a relog ....   and  no   go . still the ship  would  move only  straight ... forward or  revers  and i couldn't  turn

In desperation i  parked it  and   made a temp camp,     hoping there is a restart that will fix it ..or    if i do not  die in the meantime,  a  fix  ..O.o

Logs  attached . 

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

18 replies to this bug / suggestion

well   what a day ..it  not  dull   being in  Ylands...full of  surprises! O.o

Logged in after a   server  restart......  and  yay ... ships  controls  restored....       navigated back to base     and   docked    safely ..so i thought.

I  released the helm  screen  went  olive  and    there was my   bald head... then i saw a fleeting  image of the island i  just  left... then   olive screen and    loss of  all controls.

So ..( sigh)  i relogged.

When i   came back  ..i was on the island i  just left....no  ship anywhere!

Fortunately  i still had my prop  pack and     flew   back to my  base island...and arrived to see my ship  parked in the dock ....   at the same  angle   where i stopped and released the  helm.

Decided to do a trial run  back to spawn island  ...  arrived safely and when releasing the  helm  saw a  fleeting  image of  my dock i  just left ...olive  screen ...and then me  floating  over the water .. two  blinks  later my ship appeared underneath me... and i was at my destination.

Returning back to  my  base a little while  later,   trip was uneventful  until i released the  helm  in my dock ...again  i saw  a fleeting  image of the   island i  just left...  then swimming over the water... then my  boat appeared underneath me.

I  quickly locked up everything  and  hid in my  house...   boats  are cursed in Ylands! :S

I knew something similar recently, on server 29...I don't dare to take ship anymore.

Leaving the bar, I was projected OUTSIDE the limits of the archipelago, at a vertiginous speed... My card could testify, she had recorded my course! I died of course, and I spent hours trying to find my ship...

Then the next time, I sailed with anguish, wishing to explore, and I saw an island that I didn't know, a desert. I dock, I leave the bar... And there, surpise! Here I'm back on my yland of departure!
Since these episodes, I decided to no longer sail, and to remain wisely at home :D

(My translation must hurt your eyes!) O.o

Can you please also send us the save game file where you had this issue?

adding ... tonight    when i released the controls at  my destination arrival ...  my ship   disappeared...and   everything locked up ... i had to relog  and when i did i was in  the water,  but a   right  click saw me  back on the boat...!!

Logs     attached..  and a  screenshot.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

20181205192239_1.jpg

Can you also send us the scenario where you're playing this, pretty please with sugar on top?

aaaaah  this is on the PV1 pve server   or Red Eagles ..,..    Map version  30 

I left my base  and  sailed to the spawn  area  to see what damage the crazies  might have  done :P ...and   pulled  in alongside the  shoreline.

I then tried to  release the helm...  and  bingo .. ship disappeared  as you can see... and I was not  released from the helm....   everything locked up. I could use  escape to go the   the  menu and back , but  mouse was not  operating to select anything  else, nor    keyboard  commands able to be selected. (except  the   f12 for  screenshot  function )

So i   used  esc  to  log out ..and then  after getting  log  files and  screenshot  to desktop.  re  logged ...   i appeared struggling  in the water,  but a right mouse click  serendipitously  saw me   appear  back on  deck ... with my ship  around me.  Everything  then acted  normally...as  far as  normally  goes..:D

Rest of the   trip   back  home  was  uneventful... no dolphins,  kraken or   drunken sailors seen ...B| 

Apparently  another player   earlier  was  commenting  that every  ship  he    tried to use    had lost its  steering  function ..and  despite a re-log,  no  fix! (  6  different  vessels, he  said...)

A day back,   ( Saturday)  see  first post..)one player had his ship  stuck  in a  circular  movement..he was turning and the  helm stopped responding. and he   ended up back at  spawn, dripping wet :| ..and i volunteered ( foolishly ..:D ) to help him recover his  ship ...  we found it and   placed  dirt  blocks in front of it to  stop its movement.

I then found  i could  no longer  steer  my  ship .. it  could go  staright  ahead  or  reverse  but not turn...fortunately here was land ahead  and  i beached the  ship ... took refuge on land  and  waited for a server restart.

Upon re-loging   ship steering  function  returned  and i made it back to base, but as i  reported, when i clicked on helm  release   the image of the place i just left  flashed   up  for a second  ... ship and everything disappeared .....   and  everything  locked up ..

Upon relogging  this time ..i   appeared on the island  i had  left previously! ... but  i still had prop pack and  flew  back to my base ..and   the ship was  there in my dock,  where it had  dumped me  earlier 

Never a  dull day in Ylands!:D

Pssst..     on a  sugar free diet  ... :ph34r:

I just experienced the problem with the ship not steering.  Mine is in SP local explore.  I was going from island to island, doing some mapping and stocking up on resources.  Returned to my ship, just about to go back to my base, at it would not steer at all.  I'm including the output_log_game file, since it seems there was some information written to there from my explore game as well (there's also a bit of information at the beginning of that file about a different error I saw in the Editor, and haven't reported yet.)

I saved a copy of my Explore game as it is right now, with my ship caught among some rocks, in case it's needed.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

output_log_game.txt

• Thanks 1

It could  have something to do with terrain   alteration.....  i encountered it after  running through " diamonds"  of  dirt floating above the water ...evidence of  someone  doing  some   terraforming or   placing  dirt  on the ocean ..   and  since the  latest  update, placing  dirt/gravel    to  fill in  shoreline depressions  doesn't  seem to work too well.o.O

That could be true.  I just saw it again, and both times I had been doing something with terrain.  The first time I was mining for resources, and this time I had been flattening some land for a garden.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:41 AM, Ane said:

Can you also send us the scenario where you're playing this, pretty please with sugar on top?

do you need the server logs? I can try to locate.

5 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

do you need the server logs? I can try to locate.

If you can that'd be great, thanks!

I will dig those up for you tonight.  Because of time differences, I will provide dec 4 - 6, not sure which ones will help.

• Thanks 1

We managed to reproduce it and we noticed that it happens when you place big objects, like building blocks, on the ship and then you pick them up. We are working on fixing the issue, but in the meantime, there is a temporary "solution" for it.

You can place a very light object, like a feather, on the ship's board and pick it up - it will have the opposite effect than placing a block, so you can steer the ship normally. But it will break eventually again when you pick any more items, so the best way is to place a block and let it harden. After block is hardened (after two minutes), the ship works normally.

My ship is  cursed :D   !!!!!   it is in a dock and  landlocked,  so theres no need to lock the controls.    and i placed  3  "mummies" on board to deter intending  thieves.      I then  noticed that   either  one, or  2    or  all of the  sails  would   move  up and  down ..independently,  at  random  times.  - even though there was no one  at the helm !  SpookyO.o,  I   deduced  that   it  was possibly   a "mummy"  thing and    they were influencing  the  sails  script..

Kinda   entertaining to watch   ...:D

Just reproduced this bug in Build: 0.11.1.61282. I realised it occurred after I had placed my sleeping pad on the deck, slept till morning, repacked the roll and picked it up. Went to go sailing again but the ship would not turn, only go straight forwards or backwards. So I placed my sleeping pad back down on the deck and the ship would turn  again lol so bizarre. Pick it back up and the ship stops turning. 

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

DxDiag.txt

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 12:49 AM, Ane said:

We managed to reproduce it and we noticed that it happens when you place big objects, like building blocks, on the ship and then you pick them up. We are working on fixing the issue, but in the meantime, there is a temporary "solution" for it.

You can place a very light object, like a feather, on the ship's board and pick it up - it will have the opposite effect than placing a block, so you can steer the ship normally. But it will break eventually again when you pick any more items, so the best way is to place a block and let it harden. After block is hardened (after two minutes), the ship works normally.

bb cakes, seeing as their hasn’t been an official fix for this bug yet I figured I’d add my files in case it helps the devs out at all