Question

Hi guys,

So after spending countless hours playing on multiplayer Explore servers I have reached a conclusive question.

"Even on a largely populated server, why is it so difficult to find and communicate with other players"

Minecraft addresses this problem by making it's in-game chat feature globally broadcast to all players on a server.

Im thinking Ylands can do one better! Whilst global chat would solve the issue, it might make communication too easy. The feeling of being alone and stranded is a charming feature of the game.

I suggest that if players put in a little work, they can craft themselves some type of Radio. Using the Radio would open a dialogue box where you can tune in to other player's radios and send-receive messages in both real-time and in an Email format.

Its an idea that I'm sure could do with some refining but let me know what you think guys!

Thanks

Rob

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 replies to this bug / suggestion

31 minutes ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

Hi guys,

So after spending countless hours playing on multiplayer Explore servers I have reached a conclusive question.

"Even on a largely populated server, why is it so difficult to find and communicate with other players"

Minecraft addresses this problem by making it's in-game chat feature globally broadcast to all players on a server.

Im thinking Ylands can do one better! Whilst global chat would solve the issue, it might make communication too easy. The feeling of being alone and stranded is a charming feature of the game.

I suggest that if players put in a little work, they can craft themselves some type of Radio. Using the Radio would open a dialogue box where you can tune in to other player's radios and send-receive messages in both real-time and in an Email format.

Its an idea that I'm sure could do with some refining but let me know what you think guys!

Thanks

Rob

I love this idea. 

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that server hosts should have access to a setting prior to launching a server where they can determine how far players can communicate.

For example, servers with a more creative aspect might want to have a 'Global Chat' so all players can see what's being said regardless of geographic location.

Explore servers might want to reduce chat to within a certain 'audible range' but would enable the use of the 'coconut radio' for long distance communications.

My next open question would be;   "Would the radio be something carried within a player's inventory, or staticky placed like a workbench?"

I personally like the workbench option

@Deadeye_Rob
If you want I can work on a script for this radio system however it will not be compatible with current Explorer games since they do not allow for game logic script.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll start making it ;)