Miguel Preguisa

Arrays - how do they work?

I'm slowly learning about all kinds of different game logic components (thanks to @Igor Q. tutorials too) and I got a feeling that arrays could be really useful. But I don't see where are the situatios that arrays are made for. I tried to look up what are they used for but all I understood (hopefully) is that they somehow "group" objects like variables or entities, vectors etc. Is there anybody willing to ELI5 to me? ? 

Arrays are similar to basic variables but for storing multiple pieces of information.

Ex: When player spawns, add player to array "Total player list". Make a scoreboard using each player from the "Total player list".

It's often useful when you want not only to store a list but change it's information later on.

If you check out the script I made Global chest, it uses an array to store inventory slots of a chest and then saves/loads that information when a player uses a chest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Igor Q. said:

If you check out the script I made Global chest, it uses an array to store inventory slots of a chest and then saves/loads that information when a player uses a chest.

Definitely going to do that! It's true that I haven't seen this piece yet. Array than seems to be like a dynamic list, that could really simplify some of my code full of variables ? Thank you! 

10 hours ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

I'm slowly learning about all kinds of different game logic components (thanks to @Igor Q. tutorials too) and I got a feeling that arrays could be really useful. But I don't see where are the situatios that arrays are made for. I tried to look up what are they used for but all I understood (hopefully) is that they somehow "group" objects like variables or entities, vectors etc. Is there anybody willing to ELI5 to me? ? 

just to add on a bit to what igor said they are basically a list of variables each item in the array has a number. The numbers(known as the index) start from 0 so the first item will have index 0, second item will have the index 1 ect. Defintly check out the wiki for the array functions

Edited by Oliver Hope
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Oliver Hope said:

just to add on a bit to what igor said they are basically a list of variables each item in the array has a number. The numbers(known as the index) start from 0 so the first item will have index 0, second item will have the index 2 ect. Defintly check out the wiki for the array functions

Thank you too! In learning the Editor, there's never too much. Too bad I won't have access to it the whole next week, we are going skiing, but I would love to test all the different ideas in my head right now  :D

PS: I believe there is a typo, isn't there? "... the first item will have index 0, second item will have the index 2..." shouldn't then the second one have the index 1? 

32 minutes ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

Thank you too! In learning the Editor, there's never too much. Too bad I won't have access to it the whole next week, we are going skiing, but I would love to test all the different ideas in my head right now  :D

PS: I believe there is a typo, isn't there? "... the first item will have index 0, second item will have the index 2..." shouldn't then the second one have the index 1? 

Enjoy your skiing!

yes I did make a type, just edited it?

• Like 1