Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #65

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

In the last Dev Diary (and the one before that) we talked about our plans for the period before we leave Early Access.

Starting today we will discuss with you what we’re planning to add to Ylands after the release (version 1.0), still in 2019. So buckle up, because I think these Dev Diaries will be to your liking!

This may obviously raise the question “When are you going to release Ylands 1.0”? The (usually very unpopular :)) reply is “when it’s ready.” It will definitely take a few more months and a few updates to make sure we are ready to present it to the general public. I can promise, however, that we will tell you more as soon as we can.

Let me tell you about the directions where we want to go beyond 1.0.

One of the first things we would like to do beyond 1.0 is focus on how much fun you can have at your existing yland. In general we want you to have much more fun farming and fishing. To give you things you will like to return to and watch them grow. Things that will reward you for your hard work and will make your settlement more unique. (Stardew Valley anyone?)

We have also mentioned many times that we will be adding a whole new world for you to explore and tame. We’ve already put quite a lot of effort into it, but it was put on hold in favor of fixing and polishing the game before 1.0. This means that this new environment will come sometime after the release. But to give you a little teaser, I can tell you already that it will have new biomes, weapons, armors, monsters, recipes and much more!

hunt.jpg
Can things get prettier? Hardly :) (Amazing Castle Hunt courtesy of The P1 team)

In the Q&A sections you asked a lot about flying vehicles and carts. We try to meet your needs and wishes, and so we will do our best to give you those to play with.

On a more general note, in the future we would like to add much much more machinery and give you options to create ylandium factories, automation, and infrastructure (Factorio anyone?).

There are also plans for some very unique features in 2019 that we would rather not present too early, because they haven’t been done before (as far as we know) - so first we need to do some testing, making sure we can pull them off. But if we can (and personally, I’m more than confident about that), they will add countless of hours of fun to the Explore mode.

Finally (for now), we are also planning on expanding some existing aspects of the game (protective barriers anyone?) and improve areas that we believe should be much more interesting (the underwater life, for instance).

Oh, and we want to work on features that we temporarily disabled, like the first person camera and the water simulation.

We will, of course, provide you with more details in the upcoming months.

That’s it for today, ylanders. Have a great weekend and, as always, stay classy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the news ales!

One thing I would like to mention for explorer mode is putting an optional harder difficulty for the server. Alot of survival games adjust difficulty by making it easier to die (such as minecraft), but I think it would be reallly cool if instead it becomes more difficult to acquire resources. It will make building a small house out of wood feel much more satisfying than building giant mansions!

Very excited for the upgrades for farms and underwater life...hopefully we get cool mazes/temples to explore too ;)

I better start building Airship docking stations from 'The Order 1886' in prep for these flying machines! :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

adding a whole new world for you to explore and tame

Don't get me that HYPED!! ? 

I might explode! 

Good to hear that we will have new biomes, armors, and the like. 

As player who like to play explore (multi-player, my case I play on P1 server), I would be happy if you make blueprints system for ships. As I'm not a good builder yet, and how the actual game state is, multi-player maps on P1 server doesn't last many days and gets a bit boring and annoying to build a ship everytime, as it is the best way to travel between ylands. Please, give us the ability to make blueprints for ships as soon as you can.

Another thing is, give the proper construction blocks pictures on Crafting window, as I have to waste time and materials to see which one is (I still don't know from memory which blocks are available). 

Without a creator cube in explore mode, we can't spawn animals. I would like to have a place on farm for boars and such animals, but I can't get them to get inside the fences. 

Thanks and I appreciate you are actually making improvements on the game. 

factorio anyone? yes please! id love to see automation like that! i love making machines that work together to be effiecent

Any chance you'll be adding in those comfy chairs, medieval banners, medieval shields, bell and wooden wheel  to the crafting menu?

I love the hint toward more machine-based contraptions.

Id love a set of contraptions that would make smelting/crafting easier maybe?

For example, a wind-mill machine to produce flour at a higher yield than if done manually?

Just my idea in the pot but something along those lines would greatly expand the Explorer side of things! ?