Indomitus

Editor: allow digging in Character mode

Question

This might not be needed, depending on what changes are already planned for the Terrain Tool in the Editor, BUT...

I would like to have the ability to either equip and use, or simulate using the various digging tools in Character mode, in the Editor.  The Terrain Tool is (mostly) fine for large scale modifications, but you can't beat the precision and detail that's possible with the pick, spade, or shovel.  I guess along with that, I would also want the ability to add dirt, gravel, etc, one unit at a time, as well.

Maybe you could add another mode, besides just Play and Character.  It could be a Play/Edit mode where any changes that are made (building, moving items, digging, or whatever) are actually saved when the player returns to the Editor.

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

I have never inderstood the character mode. It never seems that you can do anything but fly somewhere else with it.

• Downvote 1

The only thing I've ever used it for was to walk around, and see whatever I'm building the same way a player would see it.  Kind of strange there's not more features attached to it.

It worked like a Create scenario and the changes stayed in the world but with Editor overhaul, it became just this character mode. I also use it only if I want to see player proportions, his field of view or test his jump abilities. 

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Downvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Indomitus said:

The only thing I've ever used it for was to walk around, and see whatever I'm building the same way a player would see it.  Kind of strange there's not more features attached to it.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, Miguel Preguisa said:

It worked like a Create scenario and the changes stayed in the world but with Editor overhaul, it became just this character mode. I also use it only if I want to see player proportions, his field of view or test his jump abilities. 

These are reason why the mode is there. To quickly test how it would feel to move inside what you have created. No special tools are planned for this mode. On the other hand tweaking editor/game terraforming tools is planned.

• Upvote 1

I guess we can wait to see what is planned for terraforming.  It would be nice to be able to make changes from a player's perspective.