Macika35

RESOLVED Hunger system

Question

I think that food isn't that valuable.

If you are hungry in game you can just place down sleeping pad and sleep and your stomach will be full. That makes sleeping over powered.

If that was to be removed we will need to find more food. It would be even better to get more hungry if you sleep because then skipping nights will not be free.

I think that will make game more balanced.

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

2 minutes ago, Macika35 said:

If you are hungry in game you can just place down sleeping pad and sleep and your stomach will be full. That makes sleeping over powered. 

I don't think this is true.  If you go to sleep while hungry, you will wake up hungry, and possibly starving.  In fact, it is common to go to sleep right after eating, and wake up hungry.

There also seems to be a mechanism that speeds up hunger if you are more active, such as running around, fighting animals, building, or digging.  (I could be wrong about that.)

I do think the hunger system could use a little more balance, though.  I'm not sure how complex they would be able to make it, but it would make sense for the player to be weaker or slower if they are hungry or starving, for example.

6 hours ago, Indomitus said:

I don't think this is true.  If you go to sleep while hungry, you will wake up hungry, and possibly starving.  In fact, it is common to go to sleep right after eating, and wake up hungry.

I just checked in my game and when I started sleeping it just said "I AM NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE" in chat. (maybe it's just bug for me. I'll try reinstalling.)

There also seems to be a mechanism that speeds up hunger if you are more active, such as running around, fighting animals, building, or digging.  (I could be wrong about that.)

Thats true.

I do think the hunger system could use a little more balance, though.  I'm not sure how complex they would be able to make it, but it would make sense for the player to be weaker or slower if they are hungry or starving, for example.

I agree.

It happens regularly on our sharegame too, and I have seen many others say they have the  same issue.

Also, when it stops you seem to get more hungry... going to sleep at night with anything other than full hunger will kill you before morning! (It is almost like the host gets the hunger that the other players are saving)

Food should have different values. A handful of berries, and you get hungry right away. A haunch of meat reall should keep you fed for a day, not mere minutes. And toadstools should have some sort of effect different from mushrooms.

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

Food should have different values. A handful of berries, and you get hungry right away. A haunch of meat reall should keep you fed for a day, not mere minutes. And toadstools should have some sort of effect different from mushrooms.

It is like that, isn't it? Eat berries and boom - still hungry. Grab a stack of cooked meat and you're good for few days.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It kind of feels like there's a value system there, but sometimes it also feels overly random.  I've had quite a few times where it would make me eat 3 or 4 times before noon, and then nothing at all the rest of the day.

18 hours ago, Indomitus said:

It kind of feels like there's a value system there, but sometimes it also feels overly random.  I've had quite a few times where it would make me eat 3 or 4 times before noon, and then nothing at all the rest of the day.

For me there seems to be a very clear system that includes food type and activity but some glitches mess it up.

I think above all else there should be a better indication of hunger states. Little bit hungry looks the same and feels the same as very hungry.
Maybe make an audio cue of rumbling tummy that that becomes louder and repeated more often as your hunger progresses.

The times I was logging and suddenly see that I have one heart as I am starving... I lost count

Hunger is out of whack. No matter how hungry I am in real life, I could not eat 5 bananas. And an whole haunch of meat should keep me satiated for a long time.

• Downvote 1