bojo2736

0.12 Update first impressions

So far, I really like it.  What little I have done in the editor tonight was good, new changes, but nothing screamingly unfamiliar. I like it.

I really like the new UI.  It will take some getting used to where everything is.  But I do think it's better.   The in game UI, also better.  I do like the "C:" to get a better look at things.  No more violent bouncing around when you get into tight spaces.   Is it my imagination?  Or is the little cursor dot gone?

I tried a blueprint, it worked first time.  I love that you added what the blueprint needs in the blueprint menu screen.  Also, I haven't tried it yet, but thank you for allowing the sharing of blueprint files.  

All in all, at this point, I am loving the update.  

But ice still isn't clear.  ?

• Like 1

One thing that I hoped is going to get better and it ended up slightly worse is the 3rd person camera regarding cars. In 0.11, the camera acted how it wanted to. But now in 0.12, the camera follows the car exactly, but very very slow. Which means that if you do a lot of quick/sharp turns you lose the ability to see in front of you. You always see the car from a side. Which is quite impractical for me, because skilled driving in tight spaces is my hobby right now in Ylands and I don't see where I'm going ? My usual race times on testing track dropped from about 30s to about 36s (may not see as much, but I drove that simple track an uncountable number of times and worse than 32s used to be failed try for me)

It's been awhile since I have played so I reinstalled and started a new single explore map which lasted all of 5 mins before I started mining and fell through the world and died of freezing. Respawn button did nothing.

Since then I have had the game go whitescreen multiple times where it asks if you want to wait or shut it down.

This happened from just clicking the crafting button. Its happened before but after waiting awhile the game came back, This last time was crafting my first cloth. I waited 15 mins before I said screw it and closed the game. Before it had locked up like 10 mins just making rope.

I game every day and am not having problems with any other games.

I want to like it because I like the whole idea of the game. But its just not letting me like it.

7 hours ago, ognar said:

This happened from just clicking the crafting button. Its happened before but after waiting awhile the game came back, This last time was crafting my first cloth. I waited 15 mins before I said screw it and closed the game. Before it had locked up like 10 mins just making rope.

Hey ognar! We're aware of the game crashing when crafting issue, we're looking into it! Sorry about that.

I'm having trouble using the movement/rotation widgets in the editor. Whenever I want to use the x/y/z axis controls to move or rotate I always end up simply selecting and dragging the object behind. The only way to move around objects is to click and drag, but the widgets inputs are ingnored completely. Not sure if this is related to the update or if I forgot how to play the game..

Edit: This seems to only be the case with exported ships. When I create a new ship hull and place blocks I can move them just fine with the widgets, but on my old ships I can't use widgets on blocks, even if I place new ones. 

Edited by zarwil

Will the dev's please look into why after playing a multiplayer game for only an hour I can no longer log back in. I've had this happen twice now, and until it's sorted can't play Ylands… which is a right bummer.output_log.txt

11 minutes ago, Indian Chief said:

Will the dev's please look into why after playing a multiplayer game for only an hour I can no longer log back in. I've had this happen twice now, and until it's sorted can't play Ylands… which is a right bummer.output_log.txt

I'll let the team know! Do you see any error messages or anything? Why exactly can't you log back in?

15 minutes ago, Ane said:

I'll let the team know! Do you see any error messages or anything? Why exactly can't you log back in?

Thanks Ane, I've got no idea. It's happened on 2 servers now. It reaches 100% load and just keeps spinning. I left it for 30 minutes and came back to the same screen. :S

2 hours ago, zarwil said:

I'm having trouble using the movement/rotation widgets in the editor. Whenever I want to use the x/y/z axis controls to move or rotate I always end up simply selecting and dragging the object behind. The only way to move around objects is to click and drag, but the widgets inputs are ingnored completely. Not sure if this is related to the update or if I forgot how to play the game..

Edit: This seems to only be the case with exported ships. When I create a new ship hull and place blocks I can move them just fine with the widgets, but on my old ships I can't use widgets on blocks, even if I place new ones. 

I told the testers about it, hopefully they can reproduce it.

I've a chance to play for about 30 minutes, so far pretty good I would say. Overall, the game runs smoothly, loading massive structure is improved, Character 3rd camera on tight space is pretty good. I like that you add weight to the ship and bouncy logs on side of the hull, that reminds me to the stabilizer on my Old Dreadnought? There are only some minor adjustment needed I think, like:

• Camera, I'm not sure if I like the new camera system that centered to the vehicles (ship/car) instead of the character. (when sailing) The problem is when you zoom in the camera doesn't feel right.. especially when you're sailing with massive ship ?
Spoiler

Ylands_190417_233908.thumb.png.ed7a6e020662abaea5315fb97ebda6e5.png

Ylands_190417_234057.thumb.png.be4d4d21ed8c02fe1c7137694318dc33.png

when you zoom out though, it's perfecto!

Spoiler

"The ship feels leaning more toward the back, maybe because there are more objects on the back side?"

Ylands_190417_233852.thumb.png.04640d636ff6f1c8bc805def9015a196.png

• Object interaction when there are plenty of objects around, I'm not sure what you call this. let me explain. Since the crosshairs is gone, it's hard when you trying to pick up something small near another objects, I feel like I'm pointing my camera to that object but the system pointer don't want to move to the object I want to interact (pick up).
  • Editor Explore Map Generator, lack of setting when you generating map. Maybe in the future you guys will implement this setting.

And small bug, the price of Coyns. The currency displayed correctly (IDR is the currency of my country) but the amount is wrong, sadly the steam payment is still correct.. ?

Spoiler

298610_20190417234618_1.thumb.png.9ede0fa83f9b6684643ae0e802c32ceb.png

I will add more later if I have chance to play again. ?

ps. I'm trying the "spoiler" feature, I hope it can reduce or atleast hide the pictures so we don't need to scroll too much..

Edited by V-Alfred
wrong word/grammar -_-

16 hours ago, V-Alfred said:

And small bug, the price of Coyns. The currency displayed correctly (IDR is the currency of my country) but the amount is wrong, sadly the steam payment is still correct.. ?

I'm not sure I follow - can you please ellaborate? :)

25 minutes ago, Ane said:

I'm not sure I follow - can you please ellaborate? :)

Not @V-Alfred, but I would say that the problem is that 4.800 Coyns for 19.99 IDR = 4.800 Coyns for 0.1 Euro 0.001 Euro

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
I hope the conversion is right this time
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

Not @V-Alfred, but I would say that the problem is that 4.800 Coyns for 19.99 IDR = 4.800 Coyns for 0.1 Euro 0.001 Euro

Ahh, I understand now, thanks!:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am having a love/hate relationship with the new update.  There is so much I love about it.  But the server connection issue is a real problem.  It's kind of a big deal for MP.  I may have identified part of the problem. 

How exactly do we upload the ygt files to our dedicated servers in a way that they are usable?

I'm enjoying quite a lot of the improvements that were made, especially in the editor and VS.  I've not been in MP for a long time, so I can't say much about that part.  There are a couple parts of the UI that I don't like, but most of those are just nitpicking.  A few are legitimate complaints.

One big complaint I have is that we can no longer drag items to other slots within a single container.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I like to keep my storage organized.  If I have a chest with (for example) iron ingot, copper ingot, and other metal items, I prefer to keep them grouped together visually to make them easier to find.  This means I'm dragging items to other slots to make room for items being added.  I do this with containers in my inventory as well, like moving around seeds in my seed box so that they're together by type, such as trees, food plants, resource plants, and alchemy plants.  And not being able to drag them also prevents us from combining partial stacks without first removing them from the container, which is a minor inconvenience but still annoying.  Keeping it all organized becomes a big puzzle requiring extra storage space to juggle all the items we're having to move around.