ike_d

Map view in editor

Hello, I'm rather new to the editor. For a new map using the Explore template,  is there a way to see the entire map and all islands similar to the in-game map? I know I can move to each island and I see coordinates, maybe I could generate one myself if I understood the coordinate system. 

Thank you! 

Nope. You can map it using the character and hopping in and out of editor. It's tedious.

Thank you, that's what I'd concluded as well. The coordinate system starts at 0,0. Are negative values left/down from there or left/up?

Thank you

For X coordinates (East/West) the negative values are Left/West on the map.  For Z coordinates (North/South) negative values are Down/South on the map.

When I need to map islands in a scenario, I will start a copy of it as a game, with a few specific tools added to help with mapping.  That way, the revealed map will always be stored with that game if I need it.

A Creator Cube, propeller pack, map (of course) are all useful for this.  And for mine I've created a mapping tool that uses code to fly the player around the map based on entered coordinates, mapping entire blocks of the map automatically.  It's slow, but not as slow as doing it by hand.  I need to optimize it and clean it up so it can be shared.

That sounds really cool, a great idea even if it is slow. Is there no function call to fill in the map at specific coordinates for a specific player? In game it's only by discovery, what if you wanted to share the location of an island as a reward, to get players off the starting island, etc.? 

@ike_d
If you need to fast travel I suggest holding the "shift" button.

This will help significantly