Sign in to follow this  
Shadow72

Editor Feedback

I recently jumped back into the editor after not using it for a while and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys.

UI:

Add Game Logics Window: There is no text above each game logic unless if you hover over the item or start to search. It would be nice if there was always text above them so you can easily tell which is which.

Game Logics Window: Would be nice if you could create folders and drag logics into them so you can easily keep track of which logics are used for a specific task.(Ex. All gamelogics used to create a command system would go in a "Command System" folder that you make)

Editor Usage:

Picker Tool: When using the tool you only copy a default state of the object and not the state of the original object. For example a human with a hat will get copied with no hat.

History: When you select something in the history window and then close the menu the items still are still invisible. You then have to go all the way down the list and click on the last item to get the selection to go away. It would be nice if everything goes back to normal after                 you close the window.

Editor Settings: They aren't saved between games which can get quite annoying if you are switching between multiple games.

Weld Tool: Change the border of welded items from green to another color. This will allow us to easily see what is welded and what isn't.

Particle Effects: Allow us to see a example of what the particle would look like in game. Would save us time from having to constantly go from game to editor to see if the particle is how we want it.

Game Logics:

Event Listener: Trying to find the event you need is tedious. There are too many options and sub options when searching for events. Would be better if it pops up a menu where you can just search all of them and then it would automatically ask to the "instigated by" and      "target".

Impassible Barrier: Would be nice if it automatically spawned in as a cube as that is what people primarily use it as.

When trying to color it you can only color is a flat color, no alpha value. It would be better if you can set it to be semi transparent so players know that there is a wall there but it doesn't destroy the look of your scene.

Maybe add the ability for it to have a effect on it like the highlight option on entities.

Add a fall off distance so you cant see the wall until you are x amount of units away from it.

Storages: Allow you to add a storage to logic entities from the "object properties" window.

For game logic storage right now if you call a function it only calls the function in the game storage, not the game logic itself. It would be nice if it can check if the game logic has a override function and then run that one instead, if not run the one in the storage. I                        find that i sometimes want certain logics to behave differently that are in the same storage and there is no way to fix it.

Game Logics: Add events for OnEnable and OnDisable for every game logic inside the game logic itself(no event listener)

UI: Allow us to add buttons and text fields to our UI's.

Scripting:

Documentation: Some blocks are a little tricky to understand and the wiki is underdeveloped. Maybe opening the wiki up to be able to be user edited would help.

Commenting: We don't have a  way to comment a group of blocks. With no commenting big projects can get tiresome to read through to try and find the correct part you need to change.

Variable Error Feature: I really like this feature but it seems a bit buggy right now. When dropping a local variable in the place of a error variable it will sometimes change the local variable to a error and you will need to pull a few local variables out and delete them to fix it.I        have also had it so there are no variable errors showing but it wont run the project because it thinks that there is a variable problem when there isn't(Nothing is red).

Humans: Would be nice to be able to have them walk towards a point. Right now they only are used for standing around but it would be nice to see them walking around to make the game feel more alive.

World and Resources: There is currently no way to spawn in resources in the editor(Like dirt and stone that is apart of the world). Would be nice to have this so we can have have auto respawning mines so the world doesn't go barren.

World Modifiable: Right now we can only set if the whole world is modifiable or just a certain part is. Would be nice if we could set a specific part to be modifiable and another part not to be.

On Modify Events: So we can get when the player tries to dig/mine.

Cancel Events: It would be awesome if there was a cancel event block so we can cancel a event if we don't like what the player is doing.

Get Online Players: Allow us to get a list of all online players

Specific typed lists: Allow us to create lists that can only hold a specific type of thing.

Dictionaries: Allow us to store data in a <key, Value> type of way to allow us to more easily sort data.

Miscellaneous:

PlayTesting: Add a playtesting menu that will allow you to spawn items in, teleport, set god mode, feed yourself, etc. It would also be nice if we could get a performance graph to see how much resources our gamemode is using.

Logs: Allow us to view logs while playtesting to check for messages we write to it.

The editor has come a long way from when I first tried it out. I really like the changes you guys are making to make the editor better. What I really want though is to be able to create our own blocks by coding(I think your backend uses JavaScript). This would allow us to not be so dependent on updates to add certain unique features we need for our projects and instead allow us to make our own blocks to do what we need. I know your guy's time is limited so thank you for the read. If you have any questions about what I have said let me know.

Edited by Shadow72
  • Upvote 4

Hi, thanks a lot for your big feedback. I will not react to all of it (but I may reply to a more things in the future). It does not mean that I did not read the rest.

Some of the wanted features and changes are already planned and you will (probably) get them in one of the following updates.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:39 PM, Shadow72 said:

History: When you select something in the history window and then close the menu the items still are still invisible. You then have to go all the way down the list and click on the last item to get the selection to go away. It would be nice if everything goes back to normal after                 you close the window. 

First I am not sure about this one. Screenshots would be helpful here.

When trying to color it you can only color is a flat color, no alpha value.

You should be able to set alpha of barrier color already.

Storages: Allow you to add a storage to logic entities from the "object properties" window.

For game logic storage right now if you call a function it only calls the function in the game storage, not the game logic itself. It would be nice if it can check if the game logic has a override function and then run that one instead, if not run the one in the storage. I                        find that i sometimes want certain logics to behave differently that are in the same storage and there is no way to fix it. 

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. Any example?

Variable Error Feature: I really like this feature but it seems a bit buggy right now. When dropping a local variable in the place of a error variable it will sometimes change the local variable to a error and you will need to pull a few local variables out and delete them to fix it.I        have also had it so there are no variable errors showing but it wont run the project because it thinks that there is a variable problem when there isn't(Nothing is red). 

For bugs it would be better to have a separate thread. Providing us scenario(.yland file) with instruction in which script you are encountering  the problem would be helpful.

PlayTesting: Add a playtesting menu that will allow you to spawn items in, teleport, set god mode, feed yourself, etc.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ylands_Tile_-_Is_debug_mode

Or do you need something else? (custom commands can be really useful too)

17 hours ago, Houp said:

Hi, thanks a lot for your big feedback. I will not react to all of it (but I may reply to a more things in the future). It does not mean that I did not read the rest.

Some of the wanted features and changes are already planned and you will (probably) get them in one of the following updates.

First I am not sure about this one. Screenshots would be helpful here.

You should be able to set alpha of barrier color already.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. Any example?

For bugs it would be better to have a separate thread. Providing us scenario(.yland file) with instruction in which script you are encountering  the problem would be helpful.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ylands_Tile_-_Is_debug_mode

Or do you need something else? (custom commands can be really useful too)

Thanks for the response. Here is some more info for the things you asked about.

History window example: It seems like I was confused about how the tool actually worked. After messing with it for a little bit i figured it out. Maybe adding a apply button that undoes everything instead of undoing everything automatically would make it more easier to understand(so it would act like you clicking on a point to undo to is like a preview of what it would look like)

Barrier alpha value: After a bit of investigating i figured out that the alpha value for barriers does indeed work, but the scale for the alpha value is off. With values from 0-120 it works as intended but 120-255 it is just completely opaque. It would naturally seem that 112.5 would let half of the light through and 168.75 would let 3/4 of the light through but it isn't working like that at the moment. Maybe it is calculating the amount of light it lets through for each face of the barrier instead of the whole barrier.

Storages: Sorry for the confusion, the way I worded it was bad. How game logic storages currently works is that when you call a instruction it only runs the one function that you have inside of the storage for all logics that have the storage. This works fine for simple creations but when you try to create complex systems it becomes pretty useless. The problem is that sometimes you want a certain logic to handle a instruction call in a different way than others. For example, what I was trying to use it for was a command system. Each command was its own game logic that shared the same storage "command"(Since they all shared the same variables like "Name", "Description", etc.). I had a instruction called "handle" which would run the code for that command. The problem is that with the current way the storage system works it only allows you to write one instruction that all gamelogics use. So I couldn't write specific handlers for each command without having to have a giant ifelse block running through every command possible(which can be a lot in bigger projects). From what I understand, storages are supposed to be sort of like objects for us to use where we can create multiple of the same types with the same variables and instructions but allow for each variable to have a different value. It would nice for there to also be some kind of inheritance system so we could have the same variables and instructions but allow the instructions to be different.

Variable Error Feature: I tried to recreate the bug but I couldn't. If i ever encounter the bug again ill make a post on the bugs sub forum.

PlayTesting Menu: You could make 90% of it with checking for debug mode and custom commands, but it would be nice to have a playtesting menu in all games you make without having to include a custom menu for testing your game. Being able to set your speed, set god mode, and other stuff without having to write a handler for each of the commands would make it a lot easier to test games. Also having it in a nice menu the person making the game could bring up with a keybind would make it a lot easier and more user friendly.

Edited by Shadow72

Hi, thanks for clarifications.

First I return to 2 of your points.

Documentation: Some blocks are a little tricky to understand and the wiki is underdeveloped. Maybe opening the wiki up to be able to be user edited would help.

Anyone can ask @Ane and she will give rights for wiki editing. We just do not want to do it public yet.

What I really want though is to be able to create our own blocks by coding(I think your backend uses JavaScript).

In the future we surely want to do that but at the moment you would probably be disappointed. Our backend script is based on JavaScript but I would not say it is JavaScript -> you already have access to most of our language features.

4 hours ago, Shadow72 said:

History window example: It seems like I was confused about how the tool actually worked. After messing with it for a little bit i figured it out. Maybe adding a apply button that undoes everything instead of undoing everything automatically would make it more easier to understand(so it would act like you clicking on a point to undo to is like a preview of what it would look like)

Sorry I am still confused. :) There should not be any automatic Undo. You can click in History window on any Undo step and it will do all Undo/Redo steps needed to get you to the point were this exact Undo step were created.

Barrier alpha value:

I see. Visual of visible barriers/trigger zones etc. is temporal. We know that it now seems that it is "debugging stuff" not something pretty what would player want to have in their game.

Storages

Now I understand. Thank you. You would like to have inheritance of Storages with a way to override instructions in parent Storage.

PlayTesting Menu

I see. Probably we will not add it soon but I think that when we add better support for custom UI (visual editor where you will be able to have buttons/input fields etc.) then you will be able to make this feature as composition.

One last note. "No reaction" on something you wrote mostly means "we agree it is missing and we want to have it too".

• Thanks 1