kimbuck

Lazy Players..

On the  P1  PVE  server  game, we have   help stations.  We work hard to  keep them relevant to the game and to  encourage  serious  friendly  gamers.

We supply  basic  clothing,  a lighter, a  stone  hammer  pick,  some   food    at the landing  area.

In the   help area  there's a little  more  variety of  clothing... and raw materials  ..( ores   sisal, )  and  a fishing rod    to catch fish ... 

There's  some   emergency  food,   and  work station  to enable the ores  etc  to be crafted  into other things

Its really  up to the player to  do some work and   craft from the raw materials  the  items  they need.

There are also  storage  chests where player who have  advanced along can bring back surplus   building material and leave them for others to use   to start out.

BUT !....

we get players  who take  all the food ... empty all the storage  chests and  fill them with dirt,  grass, bark   plants.  The things they remove  from  containers they don't  want  they scatter around  ..like inside a teenagers bedroom...

They steal what they can  and  break  what they cannot  take ...  one   even  took all the hammers crafted  for  use by  new players,and  used them up trying to break  my PB! .the area was littered with  iron pieces  and  wood  fragments... they were not  successful.

They board moored ships  ..start the engines and try to  move them...giving up when they realize the helm  etc is  locked and they cannot  break them  inside  the PB  area

They  steal flowers and  flower pots...and  remove   any lighting  they can reach.. and  kill  horses and other animals inside the  base barriers.

And then they  beg  me  for  things  instead of  trying to craft them  for themselves  from  all the  available   free ores  and   workstations.

One so called "guest"  took  players  boats  that were not under a pb  and  either    beached them  or  set them out to sea, ( after  going through  all the  storage areas.). then took one player.s boat  out to sea  and went to sleep ...  so we kept  getting the sleep  request   all day ..  ( I  kicked them off the server  when I identified  who the culprit was)

Usually,  rather than  work,  craft and  forage for themselves,  they spit the  dummy,  sitting down in a doorway, break into someones  house, or sit in front of a workstation  -------and  go  offline ...never to be  heard from again.

But then , that's the nature of people  these days ...even in  real life.  Its  something  we  just have to accept as the  new  norm. :|

my  next    help  station on   a new  map ...will be an elevated  platform   with  work stations  constructed  so  that they   are not damaged  when i remove  floor panels  under squatters     to drop them into  a basement  called "St James Infirmary"   (apologies  Lois Armstrong)

:P

• Haha 1

ahoj , tak tohle jsi vyjmenoval velice přesně , je to opravdu problém a divím se , že na to nikdo nereaguje , sám jsem se s takovým chováním setkal mockrát , nějaké návrhy co s tím ?

53 minutes ago, valomir.mv said:

ahoj , tak tohle jsi vyjmenoval velice přesně , je to opravdu problém a divím se , že na to nikdo nereaguje , sám jsem se s takovým chováním setkal mockrát , nějaké návrhy co s tím ?

(hi, you described it really well, it's really a problem and I wonder why nobody is reacting to this. I myself have encountered this behavior a number of times, any suggestions what to do with it?) 

I don't have any experience with server maintenance but the first thing that came to my mind is blacklist/whitelist. Not a perfect solution but it should work. Or some kind of "test" before entering the open space with others. But it would take some time come up with a nice and working design of it. 

On Red Eagles P!   server there are admins  who can  kick   ban  etc....but then  they cannot be on the server 24 / 7\

Once a lot of the MP  server  issues are addressed, there are  mods  from some of the skilled  logic masters that when implemented will help ... 

It just takes time.

Meanwhile  we can  hope that the  truck that delivers  puberty and   maturity  is  not  ignored and that those in need   answer the  door when they hear the delivery  driver  knock..B|

What about adding respawnable chests through visual scripting? I think you should be able to make them immune to damage that way as well. If you want I could paste the code of one I've made. Also you could probably just make it so they spawn with basic items instead.

Edited by 1ZombieFan
  • Upvote 1

Custom console commands can also be used to do administrative tasks, spawn in Creator Cube for cleanup or four setting specific areas, and the admin list can be checked using a group label of some sort.

It should be possible with some logic to move players to a disconnected room when there arnt online and move them back to where they disconnected when they come back online, this could solve problems with people sitting in doors

Well,  yesterday  some "kid" came in and thought  he was clever  by cutting down all the trees around  my base....    Why? maybe it  stroked his  ego or something,  but anyway  it took  me 10 minutes   and I have enough wood to make a flotilla of  ships ...and  seeds to replant a forest  3 times the size  :)

And then they  stole some items  from my base, including a  small boat and  went offline out to sea  in the boat  just off the coastline  from my base ..but they do not  realize that they are still in range of the rear cannon of the moored   "B.S.Tomato"  I  fired a few practice  shots  for fun..and managed to  land a few  warning  shots  astern of the  transgressor :)

I could have  hit the ship and  sunk it, but then that would make me no better than the griefer .  :)

I believe  there are efforts being made to introduce  "squatter removing logic" ...otherwise  could  the  devs.  introduce  carrion vultures?:)

Edited by kimbuck

We had a "brain-storming session" about  lazy players and one-off griefing..and it  actually  produced  a few drops of  rain :)

My suggestion was that we  surround the  spawn arrival  area with a  huge impassable  fence...and  the only way out is to operate a logic  lever ..after  you selected a one-use key and  read about  our  discord chat and communication methods and  game objectives/rules

Once you do that, you are transported  to another part of the island called the migration point.  This area is  a beach area enclosed by  a  small  fence to keep predators  out, and the  area outside has multiple  protection barriers to  stop building... you have to migrate to another island to both build and survive!   The area outside the  fence will be  stocked with  a plethora  of  predators, and  weapons  would not be  provided... you have to craft to survive and it would be  easier to  leave! ..... a wooden spear won't  help   in an attack by  5  plus wolves and  several  brown bears. And a few  pumas, leopards  and panthers  added in to  create  variety.  We would add rabbits for the lols  :)

So, if you are a lazy, or  there to grief for the "lols"  you have to do something  ...  you will not survive  on spawn ... ;)

Here is where that one-use key  works ..it  allows you to open a chest with basic  clothing,  materials for a raft, a lantern, fishing rod, a little food, flint lighter, map and a note  with  hints as to where other  islands  might be...and  a  good luck  wish!:) The  key  despawns  after  use  so only  one chest can be opened by the player.

So you craft your  raft, and  set out to explore and  survive ... the serious players  will  survive ... the others  become  corpses in a small area on spawn island that will be swept  clean  daily... reducing  lag ..

This is  just  my idea, and a basic  one at that.   Other players   have other ideas,  and with the onset of  "friendship" in future  updates  a  mesh of these ideas could be  adopted.

Will it  work?  :)   

1 hour ago, kimbuck said:

It may.

But don't forget, that not all griefers are lazy. Even though I don't consider myself a griefer (whoops, I wonder how many blacklists I was added to after this first part of my sentence) but I once spent about an hour trying to get on roofs of every single house in some (I believe P1) multiplayer map. And I even managed to get on top of some castle using the sleeping pad as a provisory step which was very difficult (Actually, sorry about that if you had to clean my offline "corpse" afterward). It wasn't an easy task. It was an absolutely pointless task. It wasn't how the map should have been played. But I had fun. That's all the griefers care about. Fun. Beware not to make the spawnpoint "challenge" too fun or you soon won't have any pumas, leopards  and panthers left. :P 

Something to keep in mind, this is still EA.  Even griefers provide unintentional service. They show exploits and weaknesses.  There are things we could do, but nothing worth getting excited about until we can actually upload the editor explore maps to the game.  The server issue just won't allow for us to design our games with antigriefing at the moment. 

Servers must be fixed.  Nearly a month now and no response from BI to even acknowledge the problem exists. Much less what the fix will be.  I have been told the BI servers use a different software from what is available to players on dedicated servers.  Give us that software.  The BI servers work beautifully, they accept the new map type, it's great.

Give dedicated server administrators software that will play your game.  Everything else having to do with multiplayer is pointless without it. It's like locking the gymnasium doors and wondering why no one is playing inside.

Fix. This.

perhaps make the  initial spawn point be on a   protected area on a tundra island...and    the  one-use key to  give you access to  raft building and  basic  survival  equipment to  encourage you to leave and explore...?

Edited by kimbuck

You can't change the spawn on explore generated maps. We can't use the editor generated explore maps because of the above mentioned server issues. As I said, it just isn't possible at this time.

Without  dreams there is  no  hope,  without  hope there is no  dream...:D

the future  is yet to be revealed... and  it comes to us .......without the  use of a DeLorean....

if   you  were on the NA1  server recently  and  log in to find yourself   killed...please  note the name and    get into discord to advise   either BB cakes    red, or me.   The ban list  needs  some loving.

We had  3  idiots   running around   killing and  robbing  offline  vulnerable   players. One  was caught stealing a boat after killing someone on deck..he had   earlier  attacked  someone in a  building  and  ran off ..  He met his fate   when   trying to escape an hide  and there was  bruce the shark   feeling hungry  ...  ( his   escape  dighy  disappeared and he  had to swim...  :P

Still looking for the  body..

Another guy  murdered an active P1 player who  had been disconnected   whilst   acquiring  items ...      the  P1 player  came  back and  it seems he    found revenge.    The culprit  was found  next to another player  he was trying to  exterminate.

And  the last one .. learned a  big  lesson... you do not  kill   and rob innocent  people. -  you  do not  steal. -  and last of  all   never!  never!  ever! come into a grid admin's  base and try to wreck things ...then  attack and try to  kill an  admin who said  "hello"?

if that guy   whose  first part of his  name is "Drunken." reads  this   ..well  now  you know  why you cannot  log back in... and  why   people are staring at your motionless avatar, sitting  on a  hilltop...all alone..  staring into space.

People ...if you play  nice    you meet nice  people on the  P1  server games ..we have a really   good  friendly  community. If you think you can come in and  disrupt ....   see above..:P

Apparently in  Africa,  they learned  an easy way to catch a Baboon

What you do is use a stick to  make a small  hole in  the  side of a termite  mound, making sure a  baboon sees you doing it.  Make a small  hollow  inside but leave the   entry hole   just  big enough for your wrist..

Place in the hollow a  stone that just fits through the opening and then walk away.

The curious  baboon   runs  up and  puts his hand inside and grabs the stone...and then you run back  shouting.

The Baboon cannot  get his  hand out as  he has  made a fist to hold the stone.  If he lets go of the stone, he  could  pull  his  hand out,   but..baboons  are Baboons  and as he refuses to let go  of the stone,   he is  easily  caught

Now the same   applies in Ylands...Put an unlocked  chest ...and place a   locked  vehicle    inside your  PB   and wait and listen......

Within minutes   some  new  impatient  player   runs  up and opens the chest ...you hear it ...and then they start the vehicles'  engine...you hear that too!   but there was nothing but  dirt in the chest and the  vehicle  steering is locked.

Like the Baboon, they  gave  away their presence.  :)

Every time  i log in   i   hear  engines  running..or   people  rummaging through  doors to buildings (with  nothing inside) or  opening  chests full of grass and  dirt.

It keeps me  amused  :)

Edited by kimbuck

On 5/10/2019 at 8:19 AM, kimbuck said:

We had a "brain-storming session" about  lazy players and one-off griefing..and it  actually  produced  a few drops of  rain :)

My suggestion was that we  surround the  spawn arrival  area with a  huge impassable  fence...and  the only way out is to operate a logic  lever ..after  you selected a one-use key and  read about  our  discord chat and communication methods and  game objectives/rules

Once you do that, you are transported  to another part of the island called the migration point.  This area is  a beach area enclosed by  a  small  fence to keep predators  out, and the  area outside has multiple  protection barriers to  stop building... you have to migrate to another island to both build and survive!   The area outside the  fence will be  stocked with  a plethora  of  predators, and  weapons  would not be  provided... you have to craft to survive and it would be  easier to  leave! ..... a wooden spear won't  help   in an attack by  5  plus wolves and  several  brown bears. And a few  pumas, leopards  and panthers  added in to  create  variety.  We would add rabbits for the lols  :)

So, if you are a lazy, or  there to grief for the "lols"  you have to do something  ...  you will not survive  on spawn ... ;)

Here is where that one-use key  works ..it  allows you to open a chest with basic  clothing,  materials for a raft, a lantern, fishing rod, a little food, flint lighter, map and a note  with  hints as to where other  islands  might be...and  a  good luck  wish!:) The  key  despawns  after  use  so only  one chest can be opened by the player.

So you craft your  raft, and  set out to explore and  survive ... the serious players  will  survive ... the others  become  corpses in a small area on spawn island that will be swept  clean  daily... reducing  lag ..

This is  just  my idea, and a basic  one at that.   Other players   have other ideas,  and with the onset of  "friendship" in future  updates  a  mesh of these ideas could be  adopted.

I got it to work without logic. Only difference is that it detects the players based on an array and opens the chest once. You should set the id on the key and chest in the editor. It will allow only the admins to open/close the chest, assuming other players don't get the key. Everything you want to spawn can be modified On Open, you can also set a custom message on the note if you like. It will also despawn items not specified On Open, so don't put anything in the chest that you value.

chestcode.thumb.png.e1cd84feccac531de731b7a993be9766.png

Here's the .ycomp if you know how to install it. http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2bt8retb8aqlpp/CHEST+FOR+NEW+PLAYERS.ycomp

I hope that help you guys out. I cant upload it to the gallery without it posting my real name so I give up trying to get it on the workshop. : |

Edited by 1ZombieFan

That looks cool. But at this time we can't use this on our servers. It will not work. Once we get that issue sorted I may look into it.

Typical  behavior  .....

Today i sat in a tree ( drinking  rl  coffee and   snacking on crackers)  and watched   the new arrivals  on  the  spawn area . 

Four  came in      ... two within a minute of  each other.

The longest  time they  spent on  line  was 4   minutes ...and that was the guy   who  entered a building... killed the occupant  then  destroyed  half the  building ....   only the walls and  floor ...  they like to leave a mess, these types.

The other  two seemed to be together   they ran in circles   jumping  like  kids   hyped on  black  sugary coffee...   opened  every  door  they could see....entered   every building  they could get into .. then   ran  off  ..and  logged out.  total time on lie  ...2  minutes  max

The last one    took   a  couple  of  steps  ...looked at a sign.. sat  down and    logged out.... after   30  seconds.

None  acknowledged  me  or  responded  to  my  "hello"

Guess that says it  all!:S

PS   found  all the guys .. they tried to steal a boat ..one killed the owner ...  then the other player  killed him...he was in turn killed  by another   who when he  couldn't   move the  boat .. jumped overboard   but was   finished off by a shark ----

Karma  sure  sux  :)

Edited by kimbuck