Sign in to follow this  
Ane

Dev Diary #79

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Today we’ll take a look at two things that Creators will love in the upcoming update 0.13. Even though they have quite sophisticated names, they are actually very easy to describe, and you’ll see that they are very handy.

So, without further ado, I give you the Advanced object grouping and Dynamic objects!

Advanced object grouping is a fancy name that describes, well… advanced grouping :) So far you could group objects into simple groups. This was a nice way of putting together objects and then moving them around as one – however, it was obvious that more control was needed.

Therefore, we’re coming up with groups that support hierarchies. You can now group objects in a way that they reflect their world relations. Door handle can be child of a door. If you move or rotate the door, the handle will follow. At the same time, you can still easily adjust the handle position relative to the parent door. Here we’re talking about two entities, but you can even make one whole group a child of another group.
This very common and useful feature will help you work better even with very complex scenes.

Groups.jpg

Dynamic objects are our way of coming up with a solution to another problem - moving and rotating objects over time. What used to be very time consuming to achieve and had quite a large impact on performance, can now be done easily. You can specify where should an object move with what speed / in what time or do the same for the rotation. You just need to make sure that all objects that are moving are marked as dynamic, and you’re good to go.

The best thing about this is that it can be combined with the grouping feature, so you no longer need to move all the object parts - you just move their top-most parent.

Also, the new dynamic objects will work correctly when interacting with players, so by marking Groups/entities as "Platform", you will have the option to create moving platforms that will transport players somewhere in a smooth manner.

This is just the beginning, though. In the future we will be providing tools that will give you much more control over objects’ position and rotation.

And that’s all for now. Have a great weekend and as always - stay classy!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Great.  As things stand we won't be able to use them on the dedicated servers.  But cool that they will exist.  I guess.

• Downvote 1

Good update. I really liked it. But my opinion - it's time to work on the gameplay itself. I mean, as long as there are enough editor updates, give us the content in singleplayer.

3 hours ago, Christalle said:

Thanks Dev :D

Ready and waiting for the touch of life ? !

• Like 1