finnary81

Incompatible Game Version

Question

I have a server I purchased with coyns. The server has been running fine for about a month and a half. Now when anyone tries to connect to the server it says incompatible game version. There are no options to update the server in the settings. I can only start and stop it. Everyone on the server has the same game version. 0.12.3.71538 gameVersion.update.32 Is there a way to see what version the server is hosting? The most recent game update through steam was on June 7th. We didn't start having any issues until June 16th and no one else on the forums seems to be having the same issues. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

16 replies to this bug / suggestion

I got the error too. I'm not even sure how to upload log files if I couldn't get in?

I think it is because they were planning to release 0.13 this week but they ended up delaying it. So all of the servers were automatically updated to the 0.13 version while we cant update our games past 0.12 at the moment. It sucks but all we can do is wait for them to either rollback the servers to version 0.12 on Monday or release 0.13 on Monday.

If that is true, it is further evidence that the server software is different on BI than what Nitrado has.  Still not sure if that makes it a BI issue or a Nitrado issue.  The current games hosting on Nitrado are working.  I can't seem to upload anything in working order on BI. I can upload it.  But it comes back with the error message.

22 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

If that is true, it is further evidence that the server software is different on BI than what Nitrado has.  Still not sure if that makes it a BI issue or a Nitrado issue.  The current games hosting on Nitrado are working.  I can't seem to upload anything in working order on BI. I can upload it.  But it comes back with the error message.

I don't think they have different software than what we get. I think they just have a different deployment system for their dedicated servers other than steam.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:59 AM, Shadow72 said:

I don't think they have different software than what we get. I think they just have a different deployment system for their dedicated servers other than steam.

I don't know the correct term perhaps. But I cannot use the editor explore files, and haven't been able to since 0.12 on my DS. 

I think we should credited with the 3 days we couldnt use the coyn servers.

4 minutes ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

I don't know the correct term perhaps. But I cannot use the editor explore files, and haven't been able to since 0.12 on my DS. 

I think we should credited with the 3 days we couldnt use the coyn servers.

I agree that people should be credited with free time for the coyn servers because of the downtime caused. I have read the thread about you not being able to use custom maps on your DS and it doesn't seem like it is a issue with the servers. Instead it is a problem with your host not updating the config files to work with the newer version of the Ylands server. 

2 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

Thus my comment about them having different files....

?

I think you misunderstood me. Its not that they don't have the same files as BI have, its just they are configuring the files wrong which is causing the servers to not be able to accept custom maps. With 0.12 they slightly changed the config files for the DS and the host hasn't updated their hosting software to allow the user to input the correct values for the config through their control panel.

I am not an  expert  or  possesses   knowledge in this  field,  but i see the point  BB is making is that if you are going to change the way  something works,  you  advise the users  of the intended change and  what needs to be done BEFORE the change is made rather than leave it  up in the  air  for the users to guess what  is  wrong.

Its becoming  obvious that there was a change, and the information users  require has not  filtered down to them for them to make the  necessary  adaptions.

This  may  not be the  scenario, but  some  players are suspecting the  difference is to   "encourage"  players to  switch to rent   BI servers.

If this  was to be the case ... Ylands  would certainly lose popularity  and many may  would look for alternatives ...  .

Hopefully  its  not the case.   but there seems to be more  information on the internet available  about  Limburger  cheese than  whats needed to  put Ylands on a  non BI  dedicated  server.....

• Haha 1

Clearly this weekend,  the files are clearly VERY different. I can upload the old style explore maps to my DS. I CANNOT upload anything. Like, at all. To the BI coyn server.

Thanks for the mansplain. As always, super appreciated.

5 hours ago, kimbuck said:

I am not an  expert  or  possesses   knowledge in this  field,  but i see the point  BB is making is that if you are going to change the way  something works,  you  advise the users  of the intended change and  what needs to be done BEFORE the change is made rather than leave it  up in the  air  for the users to guess what  is  wrong.

Its becoming  obvious that there was a change, and the information users  require has not  filtered down to them for them to make the  necessary  adaptions.

This  may  not be the  scenario, but  some  players are suspecting the  difference is to   "encourage"  players to  switch to rent   BI servers.

If this  was to be the case ... Ylands  would certainly lose popularity  and many may  would look for alternatives ...  .

Hopefully  its  not the case.   but there seems to be more  information on the internet available  about  Limburger  cheese than  whats needed to  put Ylands on a  non BI  dedicated  server.....

Except the required information was given to us. Over a month ago @Khanecz made a post detailing the changes made to the Ylands dedicated server as well as updating the DS guide for the newer version.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:06 AM, Khanecz said:

Hello, these are the changes to Session data types for DS valid from version 0.12

[string] "SessionDataType": Specifies where to get the data for the hosted session. Determines the contents of SessionData. Allowed values are:
- "YlandFile" - Path to a savegame to host. Absolute or relative to the config file. If game is not from workshop and .ysd exists for the game type. The *.ysd must be next to the save file or in (DsRootCacheDirectory config) directory.
- "GameFile" (obsolete, use TemplateFile instead) - Path to a game file from which a fresh savegame will be created and hosted.
- "TemplateFile" - Path to a locally exported scenario = .ygt file. Create a template file in Genesys (via Export as → Local export). If .ysd exists for the game type, it must be next to .ygt.
- "BuiltIn" - Identifier of a built-in game type from which a fresh savegame will be created and hosted. "Explore" or "Creative"
- "WorkshopGameAssetId" - integer id of game in workshop - you can take it directly from url. e.g. https://workshop.ylands.com/asset/11 => the value is 11

For those who want a simple guide for configuring DsConfig.json for custom games, it should look like this:

{
  "SessionDataType" : "TemplateFile",
  "SessionData" : "C:\XXX\your_game.ygt",
  "nMaxPlayers" : 4,
  "Name" : "My Mp Session"
}

Keep in mind that if an .ysd file exists for the .ygt file, it must be placed next to it.

DS guide also updated with this information:

Ylands DS Beta Guide v6.txt

5 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

Clearly this weekend,  the files are clearly VERY different. I can upload the old style explore maps to my DS. I CANNOT upload anything. Like, at all. To the BI coyn server.

Thanks for the mansplain. As always, super appreciated.

Well yes, the files this weekend are very different. It is most likely due to them pre loading the servers with the newer version before release with the plan to have all servers automatically update when 0.13 launches. The reason they do this is because the last thing you want to be working on right after you release a new patch to the game is to update the servers. That time is much better used to fix game breaking bugs as fast as possible. It is most likely a accident that they pushed the 0.13 version to their servers. The don't benefit at all from releasing the 0.13 version to their serves because nobody has a client that can connect to 0.13 servers. Also, I don't get the mansplaining comment. I don't know if it was directed at me but I don't feel like i have done anything that is remotely close to mansplaining.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:29 AM, Shadow72 said:

So all of the servers were automatically updated to the 0.13 version

No, we update the servers together with the client version.

We're looking into it. Thanks for your patience. Sorry for the inconvenience!