Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #87

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Today we’ll talk about a truly amazing (and stylish!) feature that will help creators make games with much friendlier user interfaces that give more control over the player experience in custom made games.

This feature we’re talking about is the new GUI (Graphical User Interface) Editor...inside the Editor (this time we’ll omit the obvious Inception reference ? ). So far making a custom GUI was limited only to solid color panels and texts with rather limited formatting options.

Well, no more.

Please welcome the new GUI Editor which let’s you add and edit visual elements in a user friendly matter.

Custom UI 1.PNG
New GUI Editor (Work In Progress)

Let me just give you a quick taste of what you’re going to get:

• edit positions and scale of elements in a natural, intuitive way
  • add solid color boxes or images from internal image library
  • advanced anchoring system that lets you position elements relative to specified screen areas or stretch them in a specified manner. This way your GUI will display correctly with various screen aspect ratios.
  • define your button elements and perform actions when they’re pressed via Visual Scripting (mouse pointer becomes visible whenever you activate such a dynamic panel)

Custom UI 4.PNG
New GUI Editor (Work In Progress)

As you can see, this is a HUGE win for creators - with this new addition, the level of custom games can truly skyrocket into unseen heights. We can't wait to deliver this (and a LOT of other) new feature to you in the 0.14 update.

And that’s it for today. Have a great week and until we talk again - stay classy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

This looks fantastic.

How much of it will be dynamic/changeable in script?  Text?  Add, remove, or move elements like buttons?

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to this! Can we get a sneak peek of the image library?

Edited by Oliver Hope

If all the side requests get through I should be able to do alot of stuff with this

*fingers crossed*

• Upvote 1

Seems nice. Having new buttons in a UI pabel to perform actions seems more cool than using dialogue. Actually, I don't like the dialogue logic look, I think it was better before the GUI changed in 0.12 I think? 

Anyway, as mentioned, can we have a look at image library? It will contain all the items icons and such? 

Thanks ?

Again an update about the editor ... ok it's great  ... but for the other players ? No official servers to play, always reset on private servers ?!!!!!?‍♂️Seriously, could you post one or two official servers for the community (and no gold rush servers) ? @Aleš Ulm 

Even official server had to reset -- they get too laggy otherwise. P1 is the highest quality experience you can have in Ylands atm since BB and pass clean up and help deal with trouble markers.