Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #91

Greetings Ylanders!  

It’s a brand new day and a brand new Dev Diary and boy, do we have exciting news today!  

We are unveiling another huge feature of the 0.14 update: Playlands.  

This will be a place to hang out, meet new people and play games. This originally P1-built castle has been filled with different kinds of short and fun mini-games, that you’ll be able to play solo or with friends. Now, these mini-games will award you XP and with those, you’ll increase your player level. And when you level up, eventually you'll unlock new customisation options in the fashion room, so you’ll be able to show off your status to all the other Ylanders in no time ? Also you’ll be able to wear these cosmetics in any other game, if not specifically overwritten by the game creator!   

Ylands 2019-08-15 12-38-23-20.png
Playlands in their glorious entirety

And how will you start these games you may ask? Well, let me tell you right aw...what? Oh, so I’m told the most honourable Major General Archibald Bartholomew of Brenau just came in demanding to play a game at the in Playlands. Let’s see how this 'plays' out... 

Major General Archibald Bartholomew of Brenau: Well I do say chap! What an absolutely spiffy game you have here! Would It be possible for a gentleman such as myself to try my luck on this here competition? 

NPC: Well of course sir, it shall be my pleasure. 

Major General Archibald Bartholomew of Brenau: And would you be a terrific dear and mollycoddle me further? I would like to measure my wits against other chaps and ladies, and I know I’m being a bit of a rabbit here, but would you round up some fellows for me? 

NPC: It would be my utmost pleasure sir. Just sit yourself here, have a cup of tea, while I get together a group to test your mettle against. 

Major General Archibald Bartholomew of Brenau: By thunder and hell’s bells thank you so much me old chap and here’s a fiver for your troubles. 

NPC: I couldn’t accept your coyns dear sir, you don't need coyns to have fun in Playlands. 

Major General Archibald Bartholomew of Brenau: Well blow my cotton socks, I think I shall rather enjoy myself here. 

medievalTrainingCamp.png
One of the mini-games available to Ylanders in Playlands

So as we saw ourselves, you simply walk over to a kind NPC and interact with him telling him you want to play his game. He’ll start a queue, that everyone else in Playlands will see and they’ll be able to join in your efforts. And once you reach the player limit (currently 5 players per mini-game), the game starts. As simple as that ? Playlands itself will hold several dozen players who can communicate with each other, share ideas and play mini-games levelling out and getting that all-important bling ?

In the future we’re also planning a weekly rotation of mini-games and also tasks and quests you’ll be able to complete in Playlands and receive even more XP. Also, you’ll be able to find a few Easter eggs commemorating the community members, that made this possible, so look out for that ? 

Ylands 2019-08-16 15-12-48-69.png
There is much to salute in Playlands

Is it even possible to have this many cool features coming up? I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how excited we are here in the Ylands HQ and how much we’re looking forward to you trying out Playlands for the first time ?

So hang in there and until next time,  

Cheerio and stay classy Ylanders! 

• Like 13

"Cheerio"  , usually means goodbye.  I thought you were leaving us already. ? 

This castle in the sky looks familiar. I can image a green beenstalk underneath it.  With Ylands anything is possible. ?

Edited by Pyelot
  • Like 1

Just now, Pyelot said:

"Cheerio"  , usually means goodbye.  I thought you were leaving us already?

This castle in the sky looks familiar. I can image a green beenstalk underneath it.  With Ylands anything is possible :D

You're right, I was planning to put it at the end and then messed up, will rectify ?

Looks like a lot of fun! Do you guys plan on incorporating small community made minigames into the weekly rotation? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadow72 said:

Looks like a lot of fun! Do you guys plan on incorporating small community made minigames into the weekly rotation? 

Definitely! :)  We'll start with minigames made by us but in the future (post-release) we would love to see community made minigames added there as well. The whole point of Ylands platform is to give you all the tools you need to create amazing things which others will get to enjoy as well ?

• Like 3

Glad to see the game I coded become an official map of Ylands :D

I wonder if it's the same easter eggs I added in the original game... ?

• Like 2

Gonna need to optimize that bad boi.

So.... leveling up. You alluded to skill points last week. Is this just for the minigames? Or will this be incorporated into the main game?

• Downvote 1

Oh you plan to add community mini-games made by us every week? How far in the future? ?

Well, maybe wait for some more updates and then start working on some. 

On 8/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, RedEagle_P1. said:

Hehe I remember that castle from somewhere :D

48 hours of pure pleasure to make this castle a realist and fun entry ;)

Edited by warsoulz
  • Like 2