Adam Snellgrove

0.14: Playful Platform (05/09/2019)

I was able to replicate the issue @bojo2736is having.

I placed a chest, and double-clicked.  selected "edit" and all that was in the script was for a "way-point".  I tested on a vanilla explore map, and an editor explore map.  I placed new chests, and compositions with scripted chests.  Both times, the scripting windows show a waypoint, with no scripting capability.  But that was all a mistake, and we shouldn't be able to do that? 

Right, we might be all talking about different stuff ? I'll get Aleš to have a look into this to see, if we can figure out what's wrong ?

• Thanks 1

I am probably using the wrong nerd words.

Before 0.14 in standard explore. I could create a map. Then pull it into editor. 

I could place a chest. Then open up edit on the chest. I could use the scripting. 

On open

Spawn iron ore 100 to trigger entity.

This would place 100 iron ores in the players inventory.

I could have a chair, set it to not use the default settings.

On interact, set trigger entity to location coordinates.

Now when I do that, I place chest.  Open the edit option. It is now a waypoint with no options to add any activity. 

I am not opposed to using the explorelike editor maps.  In my experience as a server admin, they come with more problems then they fix.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Right, we might be all talking about different stuff ? I'll get Aleš to have a look into this to see, if we can figure out what's wrong ?

I think that is probable. 

All I want is a map that works for my players, that doesn't crap out after 2 weeks, or 2 days.  

• Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Houp said:

It is this way because it is always better to start making a game which will work on all supported platforms than to make a game and then hear "sorry, it will run only on PC".

But mobile versions are not even here yet? Are they close? Is it wise to direct resources towards porting the game before the core PC version is even functional?

e: I guess pushing for mobile to reach the micro-transaction gold mine is a necessary pitch for the higher-ups in order to keep this game afloat at this point.

Edited by zarwil

Hi, now I see what you are talking about. Yes it was there by mistake (ability to change entity script in game save, I tried it in 0.13). We did not know that it was possible. (And you are right that it was there for a long time)  As mentioned above we will discuss it what to do now. (If start fully support of something what was not intended to be there at all)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zarwil said:

But mobile versions are not even here yet? Are they close? Is it wise to direct resources towards porting the game before the core PC version is even functional?

e: I guess pushing for mobile to reach the micro-transaction gold mine is a necessary pitch for the higher-ups in order to keep this game afloat at this point.

They will need certain pieces in place in the PC version to make it compatible and able to interact with the mobile version.  Some of those pieces are very likely in the "foundation" of the game code, so they would need to be implemented early, before the port to mobile is really started.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Houp said:

Hi, by default you create a game which will be playable on both PC and mobile. (Restriction to max 3x3x3 game blocks) If you want to create for PC only you can check that option in game settings. It will "unlock" all terrain as you were used to but bare in mind that it will not work on mobile phones. 

I haven't played the new update quite yet...  Will there be a way to apply this option to older Editor Scenarios, or will we have to copy/paste or recreate them?  Can we choose where that 3x3x3 section is selected on a generated map or is it always around 0,0,0?  (For example, if I want to create a boat racing game for mobile, it would need to be in a location that is 100% water, not on an island.)

Edited by Indomitus

1 hour ago, Houp said:

Hi, now I see what you are talking about. Yes it was there by mistake (ability to change entity script in game save, I tried it in 0.13). We did not know that it was possible. (And you are right that it was there for a long time)  As mentioned above we will discuss it what to do now. (If start fully support of something what was not intended to be there at all)

Please consider strongly keeping it.  It made for much longer (comparatively) map life.  It allowed me to get players easily to other biomes earlier.  They could play without a ton of griefing.  The griefing was kept more minimal because they couldn't just camp and harrass new players as easily.  It allowed me to provide a way for resource renewal so that the islands didn't have to be mined to death.  It also made it possible to make mini games and puzzles. 

Either that, or add in game  admin controls that allow us to maintain playable maps for as long as possible.  

Edited by bojo2736
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Indomitus said:

I haven't played the new update quite yet...  Will there be a way to apply this option to older Editor Scenarios, or will we have to copy/paste or recreate them?  Can we choose where that 3x3x3 section is selected on a generated map or is it always around 0,0,0?  (For example, if I want to create a boat racing game for mobile, it would need to be in a location that is 100% water, not on an island.) 

You need to decide before uploading game to the workshop for the first time. After that you need to make a new game (using Save as will work to) then be sure that you have marked/unmarked PC only option in the state as you wish it to be and after then you can upload it to workshop.

You can change origin of the area (you can change also the size but only make it smaller than 3x3x3) at any time. Tools for it are not much user friendly at the moment. You can change it by writing it in game settings or you can pick any zone (trigger, interior etc.) and it will take attributes from it.

1 hour ago, bojo2736 said:

Please consider strongly keeping it.

Just question. We do support what you want in editor with option to make explore like maps were you can add as many scripts as you wish. Why this is not an option for you?

• Thanks 1

Because the way the game is now there are fundamental problems for MP that aren't addressed by the game itself.  So we have to mitigate them in some fashion. 

Off the top of my head, they are:

1 Abandoned bodies at spawn.  People hop into the game then leave.  Either due to boredom, connection issues, or griefing.  The bodies clutter spawn island primarily but especially the spawn point.   In some cases it interferes with game play if they place their bodies strategically.  I haven't found a good way  in the editor explore maps to deal with this, and I can't get them into editor to manually pull out bodies.  This leaves me the standard explore, which up until this update, I had the option to do.

2. Fixing terrain issues.   So if my players have mined, the map gets torn up and ugly.  Sometimes, we have griefers who deliberately destroy terrain and make dirt piles etc.  The terrain gun is a terrible option, it often does more damage than it fixes.

The editor explore map is a one shot at building the game.  But it is not great at allowing me to maintain my server.  Because I can't get back in to fix any problems.

If I can't get in to be able to fix things, multiplayer is pretty much dead in the long run.  Unless the devs build some admin tools in game. 

We need to be able to get rid of abandoned bodies. 

We need to have resources  respawn in some way.   

We need to be able to repair terrain and water.

Sleeping must be fixed. 

Admin needs to be able to over ride barrier restrictions for abandoned bases or griefing tactics.

It is baffling to me, that as much as this game is touted for it's game building abilities, it makes playing the ACTUAL game such a frustrating proposition.  Everything I have been doing for several months is a work around for what should be natively in the game.  

Edited by bojo2736
  • Downvote 1

Just a question for you @Houp.  Is there a reason bodies must remain when players are offline?  I play several other games where they do not persist when the player is offline, but I can still log in where I left out and all my inventory and builds are remaining and still belong to me.  Is there a reason yland bodies must remain?  It would solve a huge chunk of MP problems if they would just poof away. 

• Downvote 1

Thank you for your answer. I think that part of it can be done by you (for example you can teleport all disconnected players to certain safe area and then teleport them bach on their reconnection)

Why default behavior keeps players at their position? Thats question for someone else. For a designer. I am programmer and responsible "only" for ingame editor.

@Houp From what little I understand there are three main reasons people use stock maps and then modify the save. 

1) Blueprints don't work on normal editor maps

2) No random generated structures 

3) This system keeps them within the bounds of what is possible right now. Basically, if you take an editor map and put down logics you can do WAY more than you can editing a survival map save, however, most logics you can put down don't work after 30 min of play: 

Our pro teams often we put together little safety nets for our mini games so that if one thing fails, another takes its place and we also avoid resource-intensive scripts. 

However, editing a save is a more guaranteed way something will work atm. 

9 hours ago, Houp said:

PC only game.jpg

It is this way because it is always better to start making a game which will work on all supported platforms than to make a game and then hear "sorry, it will run only on PC".

Putting scripts and game logic objects to game save was never supported. If you were able to do it then it was possible only by mistake. Many things would not work correctly. (maybe it would not be seen on the first sight) We do not plan adding this feature to the game. (to be able to modify/add scripts/game logic objects to existing play saves)

Hold on a second, I wasn't supposed to be able to add scripts and features to my ships?
I was under the impression that people were supposed to load the blueprint in to get it in the first place?

Great update...unfortunately no update on Mob AI or Ray Tracing, but I'll see what I can do with the new features XD

Bug Found:

Shooting an arrow with colors set to 255 Red (0 others) gives no arrow while doing pull animation....and the arrow fired turns back to original colors.
image.thumb.png.4fb6195681c115236aba05dc2d8b8cfa.png

I tried to turn the arrows into non-unique entities and instead I got this....... 48 Bows in my inventory
image.thumb.png.2acb8c703cbc8237dc4629ba030546d1.png

1 hour ago, Igor Q. said:

Great update...unfortunately no update on Mob AI or Ray Tracing, but I'll see what I can do with the new features XD

Bug Found:

Shooting an arrow with colors set to 255 Red (0 others) gives no arrow while doing pull animation....and the arrow fired turns back to original colors.
image.thumb.png.4fb6195681c115236aba05dc2d8b8cfa.png

I tried to turn the arrows into non-unique entities and instead I got this....... 48 Bows in my inventory
image.thumb.png.2acb8c703cbc8237dc4629ba030546d1.png

2 things -- I have a lot of bugs where pulling back the bow shows no arrow and fires no arrow. Its odd. Might want to report the bug here: https://ylands.com/community/forum/14-bugs-technical-issues/?do=add

This way they can give it a ticket number, process it etc. I keep that bookmarked :D 

I discovered a minor issue ..some blueprinted  buildings do no align correctly  vertically on grid .. I will take a screen shot   to  show you later  ( only just woken up  :)   )

Edited by kimbuck
bad spillung!

I swear, you feed ONE horse and suddenly they're all walking up looking for free corn.

Ylands_190906_193808.thumb.png.d0b21d1cdb524c945e43a532b6f4f9e5.png

Ylands_190906_195039_deliciouscorn.png.70211aaf7024ed8361f975ae795c8fd9.png

Edited by Indomitus
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Houp said:

PC only game.jpg

FYI for everyone:  The Area Center is not set using regular grid coordinates.  It is the number of chunks in each direction.

I have a request:  Can this screen also display that center position as the grid location, in addition to the chunk count?  This would be very helpful for centering and positioning structures and parts of the play area.

2 hours ago, Fompster_P1 said:

Very nice lobby, only make sure that all interactions are off unlike this bush ?

Ylands_190907_121535.thumb.png.74dba2432fc0c8ba5bc704d50dc8855e.png

dont tell em we know about the secret berries!! 

I really really really like the decorative only stuff that is in the playlands.  Buildings you can't enter, displays you can't mess up?  Is this something we can create in editor ourselves?  Or is a dev only feature.  Because I really want to make pretty displays that the riff raff can't destroy.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bojo2736 said:

I really really really like the decorative only stuff that is in the playlands.  Buildings you can't enter, displays you can't mess up?  Is this something we can create in editor ourselves?  Or is a dev only feature.  Because I really want to make pretty displays that the riff raff can't destroy.

You can disable interactions for all items, and you can place impassable barriers around buildings (like they have in playlands) in the editor