Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #4 - Aleš

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we have approached the Creative Director himself: Aleš Ulm.

Ynterview Aleš.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what’d you do before?

I am a Creative Director which means I do my best to make sure that the game stays true to a vision and that there’s always a bigger picture. Before that, I worked as a designer on several other projects.

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on?

Since the very beginning – fun fact: I programmed the very first prototype (which says a lot about how small and desperate the team was at the very start ?). First thing I did was just a character borrowed from one of our previous games running over some primitive landscape interacting with stuff and some concepts of inventory which couldn’t be further from what we have in the game now.

What do you find most exciting on Ylands in general?

The fact that we are making both game and tools at the same time (which, is, strangely enough, also the most frustrating thing at times).

And what is for you the most exciting feature coming in the near future? What are you looking forward for?

We have a lot of immensely cool things planned to be added after 1.0. I like to call it The not yet announced cool feature number 1.

What are you working on right now?

Right now I’m deciding which gameplay features need to be polished most before 1.0.

What do you do in your free time?

If there is some, I usually try to relax by watching something like Red Dwarf, Flight of Conchords, Mighty Boosh; doing the “just-one-last-turn-I-promise” Civilization routine or just trying to save the world from some difficult-to-pronounce monster. 

If you had to fight zombies with candy, what candy would you choose? 

I think the Smarties from our vending machine that exist concurrently in three different states might scare them away.

Well, there you have it. And if you missed our 'bonus question', visit our Facebook page ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

All my chats with Ales have been great ones. He is a really honest guy and cares about this project so much. 

@Aleš Ulm you should totally share your big vision for this game with the whole community, I think it will really inspire people. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Like 1

I swear you are the first person I've heard about that knows (and even likes!) Flight of the Conchords ? It's interesting how similar taste do I have with some members of the team. You should make some movie and book tips alongside the Diaries! I really enjoyed the one movie tip I got from Ane back then :P

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Definitely could make an Ylands movie section, where the team would put their suggestions ? Well I can suggest Black Adder, Black Books and IT Crowd. Best comedies ever made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What Adam mentioned is really the Holy Trinity of funny TV shows. I love them all to death but I also prefer some things that are delightfully weird. If you like Flight of the Conchords, I really suggest you give Mighty Boosh a try ;) To name some other series - Firefly goes without saying, so do Scrubs and Community.  

• Like 2

You young whippersnappers should add Police Squad! and WKRP to your funniest must see tv shows.

Edited by bojo2736
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1