bojo2736

BI Servers

If it is a rented server, then only the owner can restart it. Only possibility I guess is to share your desktop with someone (TeamViewer and such).

One of our team members suggested, that it could be possible to make a game logic in editor to reset the server, if someone pulls a specific lever, or eats a pill and then you can make this accessible to the people you want to have access to it. And it would even be possible to set that all players would then be relogged into the game after the reset...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Quick suggestion Adam.

Do you think we could add some kind of functionality to the server such as "saving the map" before restarting it? (Either client side, or editor script side)

There are sometimes cases of servers dropping and people lose time on things they were building.

4 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

One of our team members suggested, that it could be possible to make a game logic in editor to reset the server, if someone pulls a specific lever, or eats a pill and then you can make this accessible to the people you want to have access to it. And it would even be possible to set that all players would then be relogged into the game after the reset...

Make it so.  :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

Make it so.  :)

Not sure they'll be actually able to make it for you, but it is possible to do in the editor. I can have a look at it in the weekend, but I'm not very good in Editor yet, so I might just make a fool out of myself ?

8 hours ago, Igor Q. said:

Not sure honestly. If the script function "restart game" restarts the server but keeps the save file that would work....but I haven't tried that yet.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ylands_Tile_-_Restart_game

@bojo2736

I'm not at computer, but I think that would either restart the protection barrier. Thus, player will loose access to its own barrier. 

Also, I pretty sure logics like entity storage will lose the information. Example: if I add a lever to a Entity storage, if o use the Restart tile script, that Storage will loose the information.

I'm not 100% sure of this, tho. 

@bojo2736@jchob@Spyler.X@RedEagle_P1.@Adam Snellgrove
Hey guys, I have some good news. I found this:
image.thumb.png.0ab9a787fb071a892ba082fa5dcdade3.png
"World Saving"

This means that using the restart function (as mentioned above) will still keep the world with it's old buildings and such and still enable anyone with a tool such as a lever, to restart the server.

JUST BE CAREFUL TO HAVE A BACKUP MAP.

Edited by Igor Q.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Igor Q. said:

@bojo2736@jchob@Spyler.X@RedEagle_P1.@Adam Snellgrove
Hey guys, I have some good news. I found this:
image.thumb.png.0ab9a787fb071a892ba082fa5dcdade3.png
"World Saving"

This means that using the restart function (as mentioned above) will still keep the world with it's old buildings and such and still enable anyone with a tool such as a lever, to restart the server.

JUST BE CAREFUL TO HAVE A BACKUP MAP.

Oh thanks @Igor Q.

That's new, right? Haven't dig much after 0.14.

Did you do any testings? Power barrier? What about inventory? Items inside chests? 

I will try some stuff whenever I can

15 hours ago, Igor Q. said:

@jchob
Super busy with a project for this Saturday, sorry.

Oh no worries. Just curious if you've played with it ? 

11 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

I have been timed out several times today, knocking all my players off.  Then unspecified error to get pack in.  It is a rented BI server.  User name is bb cakes in game.

Logged it as YLD-19341. Separate forum post about this would make it easier to check back on it though...