kimbuck

Typical day in Ylands MP games.

I tried a few other mp servers  other than P1 gaming .. and   the  experience was similar.

Arrived at spawn ...if  you are not the first, then there's hardly  any resources left,  also piles of  corpses, and lag due to useless  huge   buildings that have  gobbled up all the resources and are now  empty.  ---Why would someone build a  huge  walled  structure with 10 of each spinning wheels,  weaving looms, smelters,   forges and kilns? And its locked. They are not playig the game, so its  obviously  soem form of passive griefing.

You  have to find  berries  or   corn or   stuff, to survive  and   most likely  someone  will arrive and attack you.  pve or  not!

You   find an abandoned  dinghy and try to move to somewhere else ,  hoping your supply of  berries   and fruit last.  You are lucky   to find land ..and its already been plundered  but still some things left.

A base has to be built ...if you don't set up and switch on your  barrier promptly ,  someone will destroy  your  base...(  and you .)... should you log  out or  get logged out by a  game crash ! ( and thats  often!!!!!)

When off line ,  your  base will be raided .. doors left open after they leave,....  players will go through  every storage  container,  take  what you crafted and  leave behind their  rubbish. if  not protected, they will destroy it.

If you have a tamed  horse..it   will be killed ..i have seen  players working together going around killing all the animals ...including tame  horses  .. for the " lol's"

You  explore caves .. they already have  been plundered ...same with all the   buildings and  stuff that's part of  the game.

So with nothing  more to do you log out ,  hoping to come back and continue   collecting  stuff to build a ship and  explore more

You try to return to the  game  ...  and sometimes you  wait ages to get in , if at all.!!!! ..... when you do , you are  alone on the server.

Lag builds .. the game then   falls over  and thats it !.  you try to  get back... that  game is offline ..never  comes  back!

so you choose another  game on another server...

go back to the first line of this  post and  start  reading  again...

So   now   you know   why Ylands  is  giving a lot of  players   the feeling its  not going anywhere..

I haven't encountered any griefers yet, but I've only just returned to online play a few weeks ago, and I've been really careful about avoiding other players while I gather supplies and get off the spawn island as fast as I can.

Been giving a lot of thought to admin capabilities, and even started building a "jail".  In what I have so far, the prisoner's time only elapses while they're actually online.  If they're sentenced to 30 minutes, then they have to sit and stare at nothing for 30 minutes before they can rejoin the game.  Unstuck and Killme not only do not work to free them, but such attempts will start their time over.  While in the jail they are set to invincible, so they can't kill each other.  All of their belongings are confiscated, and maybe returned after release (still thinking over that part).  The only issue is with them blocking sleep requests.

One thing that would be nice is if Admin players could do things about barriers that are causing problems.  Turn them off, delete them, completely disable them, make changes inside them even when activated, whatever.  I wonder if a despawn command would work on one that's been activated, but that would have to be tested in MP with willing test subjects.

I used a gun to enforce sleeping. But not like you would hope. The point of sleeping is to get through the overly long nights. I make a gun that sets the time at 8 am.

Or you could just kick. With the in game chat you can tell people to sleep now or you will kick.

But honestly, why are you keeping someone who needs a 30 minute time out. Ban and be done.

• Like 1

2019-09-16_102453.png.de05ac1dd3a37cc9a11f5378f6b1345d.png

This ram-use chart shows the growth in lag from last restart to next. Usually top out at around 22-24 GB ram being used and then it needs a restart. 

The jail I have in mind is really for punishing unwanted player behavior, not a gameplay feature.  And good luck digging out of mine.  It's several hundred meters in the air.

And why even have a jail when you can just ban them?  Well, it can be connected to logic that can auto-detect certain things, like attacking other players or their tamed horses.  A few hits on another player might earn them a few minutes in that limbo, with time increasing with each infraction.  The hope there is that they will learn.  If not, it can also save their infraction history so an Admin can make a decision next time they're online.  (30 minutes was kind of an extreme example.  By that point, they'd hopefully be gone already.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/16/2019 at 10:04 AM, Indomitus said:

The jail I have in mind is really for punishing unwanted player behavior, not a gameplay feature.  And good luck digging out of mine.  It's several hundred meters in the air.

And why even have a jail when you can just ban them?  Well, it can be connected to logic that can auto-detect certain things, like attacking other players or their tamed horses.  A few hits on another player might earn them a few minutes in that limbo, with time increasing with each infraction.  The hope there is that they will learn.  If not, it can also save their infraction history so an Admin can make a decision next time they're online.  (30 minutes was kind of an extreme example.  By that point, they'd hopefully be gone already.)

Sadly the logic wont work on servers properly yet. Soon :D 

9 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Sadly the logic wont work on servers properly yet. Soon :D 

The logic works perfectly on servers.

what does not work are the servers?

On 9/16/2019 at 6:04 PM, Indomitus said:

At the moment I have the extra hell for the curious who only come to look, but I thought of something like this, my idea was to put a jail with annoying sounds as punishment 

and if someone dares to hit Christal's horse, he will be surprised?

The Hell

20190910173626_1.thumb.jpg.b37eac9d0d30d81a318de027e6f6a329.jpg

20191010120649_1.thumb.jpg.2988e7b1cd149a21803af58d3e0bf44a.jpg

• Haha 1