Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #98

Hey there Ylanders!

The release is creeping closer and with it more and more exciting news! We are fixing more and more issues and these will be implemented in the coming weeks. But we’re also improving a lot of features, and we’ll talk about these today.

But first a small bit of news. Upon release, we’ll be changing the name of Explore to Exploration. This is because we feel this reflects more on the nature of the game mode. Also, we’ll be changing the name of ‘Create’ to Sandbox, because we’ve had feedback telling us, that people mistake Create for the Editor and thus miss out on a whole world of creativity. Sandbox also fits into the image we want this mode to have and we trust, that it will make the Menu more understandable and clearer.

But that’s just an insignificant little titbit of info, that pales to the news that follows. Because we have some exciting stuff to share with you about Exploration!

First of all, the Map. The map has been for long a staple of the game but we felt it needed a bit of love. That’s why we have put our heads together and came up with a few new features I think you’ll appreciate. For one, the map will not be an item anymore, but rather a basic function available to every player by simply pressing the M key. Furthermore, the player will finally not be lost on his map but will be able to see his own position on it. The map will also be highly customisable with the possibility of dropping markers of different colours and icons, so the player will be able to make the map his own. There will also be a clear edge to the map, so players don’t sail on into the abyss without ever finding Ylands. This doesn’t mean, that players won’t be able to sail to the blue void, but now it’ll be clear, that there is nothing to find there. This map will be available in Exploration and in the Sandbox, but not in Custom Games yet. This is because games made in the Editor are usually very unique and we don’t have a way of reflecting this in the map, but we are working on a way of putting a map into Editor games as well.

Ylands 03-Oct-19 9_52_20 AM.png

Ylands 02-Oct-19 3_52_47 PM.png

As I have mentioned before, the number of Ylands will be smaller in Exploration, but that doesn’t mean, that there will be less to do. In fact, the exact opposite! That is why we’ll be applying Tiers to Ylands. Different Ylands will have different Tiers and to successfully thrive in a higher tiered Yland, a player should first master the lower-tiered Yland. This will make a greater sense of progression in Exploration while also differentiating Ylands from each other in difficulty and content. The Ylands will also be all unique and full of different things to do, enemies to fight and lairs to destroy and loot.

Another new improvement a bit connected to the one mentioned above will be the change we’re bringing to spawn points in Exploration. While at the beginning of the game you will spawn at an easy-going and player-friendly Yland, you can, later on, build a bed. And this bed will become the players' new spawn point, so once the player logs out and returns, he’ll spawn in his comfy bed ? Now this will only work with beds and not with sleeping mats, so be careful of that. Also, a bed can be destroyed by another player, though you can protect it in a protective barrier. But if your bed gets destroyed while you are still in the game, you will get a notification of this and you’ll thus have time to make another bed. If your bed does get destroyed while you’re outside of the game, you will then spawn upon return back at the ‘beginners Yland’.

Ylands 2019-10-04 10-43-35-58.jpg

And that’s it for now Ylanders. It is all exciting and we are really gearing up for the upcoming release. But let me stress, that we are also hard at work fixing all the issues, that have been posted here, and others that we found ourselves, so this is in no way the only items we’re concentrating on ?

Look out for more news here and on our other platforms and most importantly,

stay classy Ylanders!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yay, explore love :D

Sandbox > Create -- Good idea :D Love those sort of user improvements. 

I like the map idea too. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Thanks 1

Very happy to see some features being added to the map.  That's a big step forward, and something that's been wanted for quite a while.

Maybe in the future we can consider some admin features that affect maps, such as placing marks that show on everyone's maps, auto-revealing areas of the map, or displaying barrier and player locations on request.

Another suggestion for maps and navigation could be for players to be able to select a point on their map, and make it appear on the outer wheel of their compass while sailing (like the island icons do).

(edit:  The more we get, the more we want.  Isn't that how it always is?  ? )

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the tiers etc. I love sandbox, but sometimes it is improved by elective quests and progression. Without it, it can get stale.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

This is really great news. Happy to see changes for exploration mode.

I would like to give my 2 cents and say that it would be ideal to have some kind of cue for players to know when they are ready to move onto the next map. Ex: Island % explored.

I think limiting player technology based on "recipe knowledge" is an excellent way to do this.

Ex: after beating/exploring the first island the player must "conquer" other islands in order to get new recipes to build things.

Obviously a player cannot rush the last tier island because they will not have the late game recipes unlocked and instead use their "wood armor" to beat low tier islands to unlock "iron armor" and so on etc.

In other news

I hope maps will be customizable in editor.

I think by default anytime a player builds more than 2 critical structures such as a bed and forge, automatically a home icon should be placed on the map. (However it can be deleted if the player wishes).

• Thanks 1

Single player explore is the reason I bought this game and I am really thrilled to hear about development on that aspect of the game. 

What I liked about explore is you start with absolute nothing, and have to craft everything yourself. Having a map from the beginning breaks that immersion a little bit, but I guess it's better for new players. I would suggest something different though: work with different unlock system for crafting. Having less options in the beginning of a game will make it easyer for beginning players to progress in the early stages of the game. The further you progress, the more items you "unlock" at a time when you progress again. Example: beginning of the game you can only craft: grass rope, wooden axe, wooden knife, wooden bow +arrows, campfire(+roasted food), grass sleeping mat, pole, wooden pulp and MAP(map crafed out of wooden pulp only). Only if all those items are crafted, the next recipes unlock. (it would be awesome of the pencil recipe is needed to place those nice icons!)

Igor Q. I really like your thoughts about the islands and "repice knowledge" , and I would like to add a little bit:

I like running away from the enemies becouse they are too strong, but if you have a specific armor you can whipe the whole island and have some revange!
How about this example:

The first island you spawn on doesn't have iron.
The second island has Iron, and animals who you can defeat with an iron suit on. When you first arrive at the second island you have to sneak around the animals to obtain the precious iron. After crafting a bit on that island (blacksmith forge, etc.) you don''t have to hide anymore and you can pulverise the animals! That way you can have imediate satisfaction. but be aware.. the third island you have te sneak around again..

Just my 2 cents! I really am curious how this new exploration is going to turn out, it sounds promising!

Edited by Mantje100
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JgrPower said:

Spawn point will have a special icon what will always stay on the map where ever your spawn point is. This icon currently is not removable by player. The reason for that is that the player might remove the icon, then leave on a vacation and when he comes back he would realize that he has forgotten where his spawn point was. There would be no other way to find out where the spawn point is other than dying or sleeping in a bed again to relocate the spawn point.

If you read my sentence very carefully, it says

"...player builds more than 2 critical structures such as a bed and forge, automatically a home icon should be placed on the map. (However it can be deleted if the player wishes). "

This has absolutely nothing to do with the spawn point.

• Like 1