Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #7 - Tomáš

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we have approached our insanely creative designer: Tomáš Palát.

Ynterview Tomáš.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what’d you do before you joined?

I am one of the designers on the project and before Ylands I worked as a designer and QA technician on several other games in Bohemia Interactive and one other company.

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on when you joined?

It has been something like 5 years now. The team had only a few people back then and the very first thing I worked on was designing items that players can collect and use for crafting. Right after that, we started using generated voxel terrain and my focus shifted to working with terrain shapes, vegetation spawning and voxel colours.

What do you find most exciting on Ylands in general?

Definitely all the possibilities that our in-game editor offers. I understand that most players want to just play, not everyone aspires to create content for others, but those that do are getting really powerful tools to help them turn ideas into games. And players not interested in making games will benefit from that as well by having more content to play.

What are you working on right now?

Currently, I’m working on improvements for the Exploration mode, a lot of things will be redesigned and improved there in 0.15. We will add some progression and make the player experience more focused.

What was the most difficult thing to implement to date?

Definitely monetization related features. At first glance, it might not be obvious, but Ylands grew into a very complex project and integrating monetization into the already existing systems with all the possibilities and consequences wasn’t easy at all.

What do you do in your free time?

Lately I have been mostly changing diapers to my new-born son (and boy, do I need to do that a lot), but otherwise, I play games, watch TV-shows and do theatre-like performances with a medieval sword-fighting company.

What Ice-cream flavour do you like most? Stracciatella, pistachio, strawberry, tuna, curry or hopes and dreams of millennials?

This might sound weird, but I don’t really like ice-cream. Ask me about burgers instead :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

What do you do in your free time?

Lately I have been mostly changing diapers to my new-born son (and boy, do I need to do that a lot), but otherwise, I play games, watch TV-shows and do theatre-like performances with a medieval sword-fighting company.

Aka no free time :P

Q1

Whats the best (or most consistently good burger) you have eaten?

Q2

Whats the best side dish for a hamburger? (Remember there is more than 1 way to make french fries!)

15 hours ago, Igor Q. said:

Q1

Whats the best (or most consistently good burger) you have eaten?

Q2

Whats the best side dish for a hamburger? (Remember there is more than 1 way to make french fries!)

Q1: Probably bacon burger, but from the more exotic ones, I was surprised how good was burger with plum sauce

Q2: I don't have answer to that, I always take fries and the restaurant either makes good ones or not :)

I've tried like 20 places in Prague so far and really liked 4 of them.

What is your favourite burger? :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomas Palat said:

Q1: Probably bacon burger, but from the more exotic ones, I was surprised how good was burger with plum sauce

Q2: I don't have answer to that, I always take fries and the restaurant either makes good ones or not :)

I've tried like 20 places in Prague so far and really liked 4 of them.

What is your favourite burger? :)

I've had many and it's hard to choose!

I remember I one time got a burger fwhich had Spicey bacon with guacamole in it and it was amaaazing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomas Palat said:

My mouth is watering! Don't do this to me :P 

• Haha 1