Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

What would your "hardcore mode" look like?

I've been giving this some thought, as I work on ideas for putting up my own private explore server.  (It won't be full hardcore, but it will have limitations such as no gunpowder and no Ylandium.)

For me, a hardcore survival mode would look like this:

• Stronger predators.  Higher HP and attack damage.  Larger detection areas.  Line-of-sight detection if possible.  (Plus more improved AI, which I think BI is still working on.)
  • More predators.  More dense populations and higher respawn rate.
  • Handicapping if the player doesn't get enough sleep.  Slower speeds.  Higher hunger rates.  Lower attack damage.  In other words:  Get some sleep!
  • Very dark nights.  (This is why I asked about it in the other thread.)
  • Aggressive predators at night.
  • Challenging Research Tree for recipes rather than the auto-learn Ylands currently has.
  • No Ylandium.
  • No gunpowder.
  • Resources would be buried more, less obvious on the surface.
  • Some kind of handicap or penalty for death/respawn.  Lose all learned recipes?  Or lose any points you made toward the next Research unlock?  Drop keys and maps as well?  Not sure, but there would be something.

Some of these are things we can build in custom scripts.  Others would need help from the devs.

I've been doing a little work on a Research Tree structure for the game.  I designed a series of "Research Table" workstations for gaining points, and so on.  The main problem is that I would have to list nearly every recipe in the game somewhere in the script to manage them all, which is insane.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Indomitus said:

I've been giving this some thought, as I work on ideas for putting up my own private explore server.  (It won't be full hardcore, but it will have limitations such as no gunpowder and no Ylandium.)

For me, a hardcore survival mode would look like this:

• Stronger predators.  Higher HP and attack damage.  Larger detection areas.  Line-of-sight detection if possible.  (Plus more improved AI, which I think BI is still working on.)
  • More predators.  More dense populations and higher respawn rate.
  • Handicapping if the player doesn't get enough sleep.  Slower speeds.  Higher hunger rates.  Lower attack damage.  In other words:  Get some sleep!
  • Very dark nights.  (This is why I asked about it in the other thread.)
  • Aggressive predators at night.
  • Challenging Research Tree for recipes rather than the auto-learn Ylands currently has.
  • No Ylandium.
  • No gunpowder.
  • Resources would be buried more, less obvious on the surface.
  • Some kind of handicap or penalty for death/respawn.  Lose all learned recipes?  Or lose any points you made toward the next Research unlock?  Drop keys and maps as well?  Not sure, but there would be something.

Some of these are things we can build in custom scripts.  Others would need help from the devs.

I've been doing a little work on a Research Tree structure for the game.  I designed a series of "Research Table" workstations for gaining points, and so on.  The main problem is that I would have to list nearly every recipe in the game somewhere in the script to manage them all, which is insane.

I've worked on something like this for a while but much more challenging and a bit more custom. 1 there is no land. It's ocean survival and its cold. It would be a fun server to do! Maybe we should work together, ive been working on something like it :D 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.

A full water world sounds interesting.  I was thinking more in general, a hard mode for Ylands Explore but that does sound like a challenge to build and play.  Sounds like a specialized hard mode, kind of like Skyblocks is for Minecraft.

Is yours for multiplayer or is it a single player challenge?  Mobile or PC?  As always I'm open to helping, time and attention span permitting.