bojo2736

We need shapes

Question

We need scalable and paintable shapes. I see people strugglinng to build things that don't exist with other things. Example, remember the stereo console @Igor Q.made?  Or pretty much anything @Spyler.X makes. If we had basic shapes that were scalable for both size and thickness it would open up a world of options. By having them built into the editor by the ylands artist, they could match the basic asthetic. 

And could we get "transparent" as an option in painting?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

I agree that it is necessary, perhaps not for all objects, but scalable blocks or giant rocks would help a lot in the construction of landscapes or large structures, they could also be used as a way to protect some areas that would save us a lot Logic and many objects.

It would also be nice to be able to model some 3D objects, I don't know if it will be an option at some point.?

• Upvote 1

imagine a round disk that you could make as big as you wanted and as thick or thin
you could make elevator buttons
with scripting, maybe even make them work
but using matchsticks to make buttons, relies on the thing you are making to be deep enough to hide the stick

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

imagine a round disk that you could make as big as you wanted and as thick or thin
you could make elevator buttons
with scripting, maybe even make them work
but using matchsticks to make buttons, relies on the thing you are making to be deep enough to hide the stick

specifically to make buttons you can use several flat objects, I use a lot of gold coins.

in fact, there is an elevator on the server that works with them?

P.S.: but I would love to have a scalable disk?

Edited by Spyler.X
  • Like 2

I talked to Aleš about this, and scaling is something the team keeps returning to, but it's not easy, because giving players the ability to scale things might result in rather large performance issues if not used correctly, problems with pathfinding and the new rendering and more. Aleš says, that it will hopefully happen in some form sooner or later, but no promises ? But it is being discussed and a way forward is being explored.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If not scalable, how about a collection of shapes with a few different sizes? I hope you know what I mean. 

Currently, the thinnest building block we have is the pier thing. Thanks for adding in the single block of that. But it is limited for alternate uses for a number of reasons. This block in all the materials would be useful.

We used to have transparent ice blocks. These were so useful for decor and producing lovely lighting effects. The were replaced buy flat, ugly, opaque pieces. The do have as beveled edge so have some usefulness, but I really want the old blocks back.  Or clear glass blocks?  

And we used to have small glowing mushrooms. These were so nice for placing light into a scene.

We need more lighting options too.

I do realize that the base game and full release will come first. But these are things we need. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

We got Basic Blocks in the beta release. But not transparent ice.

I'll add a request for transparent Ice, but if it gets added, it'll probably be in a later update ? But I'll keep it in mind.

• Thanks 1