Snaatteri

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-20234] Wedges etc. seem "transparent"

Question

So, I got back to Ylands from a long break, and I started building a ship. When I was building the bow i noticed while placing wedges, that the wedges i was trying to place didnt "lock on" to the already placed wedges, and instead went through to the outside of the ship. I just brushed it off as me being a bit rusty, and thought nothing more of it. Then it was time for painting the damn thing, and unexpectedly, i cant paint the wedges or slopes. It was very annoying to build the ship in the first place because the transparency thing, and now i can't even finish it. Really sucked the motivation out of me. I have been thinking of ways to solve this like updating back to the previous version, but I'm scared it would break the game even more. Hope I explained it well enough, sorry if I didn't. Also the screenshot is probably quite useless since its only a half painted ship, but those wedges and slopes I am unable to paint. 

20191104202235_1.jpg

13 replies to this bug / suggestion

This is an age old bug. Is this build in the editor or in explore/creative? In either case you can open the map in editor and try to duplicate the entire ship and delete the old one. See if it helps.

Also, I like the ship! I'm gonna try and make something similar sometime in the future.

Edited by zarwil

Thanks man, I'll try that tomorrow since its quite late here already, and its in the explore mode.
Also the ship is somewhat based on s/s relandersgrund and s/s storbrotten, old Finnish lightships.

Edited by Snaatteri

Just now, Snaatteri said:

Thanks man, I'll try that tomorrow since its quite late here already, and its in the explore mode.
Also the ship is somewhat based on s/s relandersgrund and s/s storbrotten, old Finnish lightships.

Right, figured you were finnish due to the name and pic ^^

you can open explore games in the editor by entering an empty editor map, then from there open an existing game. In the pop up of existing games you can switch to explore/creative games at the bottom of the pop up. 

Yeah I think I might be able to pull it off, at least hoping so, would be nice to get it done.

Now that I actually think about it, I will try it now instead of tomorrow, I have some time to spare.

Edited by Snaatteri

Just now, Snaatteri said:

Sad to report that this did not work; still cant paint the wedges or slopes. Any other tips?

Huh, usually that works for me :/

You could try and copy the ship to an editor map (where it's easier to manipulate) and try to continue working on it there, but I suspect you will have the same problem. Still worth trying though. You can also try and manually copy the blocks from the ship and place on a new ship hull (in the editor, still). To do this, place a new ship hull somewhere else in the editor map, then for each type of block you have placed on the ship, place one more of that specific block type somewhere central on the original ship, and double click it while holding down CTRL to select all blocks of that type. At this point the actively selected block will most likely not be the one you just placed, so change that by un-selecting the block you placed and selecting it again. Now left click and copy all the selected blocks and paste on the new, empty, ship hull. You will have to move the selected blocks around a bit until they are placed in the correct position relative to the hull, but it's possible. Do the same for all types of blocks you have on the ship. (except maybe single items etc..)

edit: I forgot to mention that each time you place a new set of blocks onto the new ship, you have to aim at the actual ship hull when pasting, not a block that is attached to it. Also, regarding the following: "At this point the actively selected block will most likely not be the one you just placed, so change that by un-selecting the block you placed and selecting it again.", this can sometime result in every thing being un-selected. If that happens, try to have a different block selected before you try to CTRL+double click.

Edited by zarwil

14 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

I'll ask about it in the office, but @zarwil could you maybe explain to me, what the problem actually is? The bug I mean...

One of the bugged ships I sent you previously has this bug. Basically slopes have no "hit box" and can't be interacted with. I'll PM you in the conversation I'm referencing.

• Like 1

Oh sorry, haven't looked in here for a while since its a bit hard for me to sign in on here. You still need it?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 2:15 PM, Snaatteri said:

Oh sorry, haven't looked in here for a while since its a bit hard for me to sign in on here. You still need it?

Yes please, if you can send it through private message ?