Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #103

Today let’s talk Exploration ?

We have already hinted a few features coming into Exploration with the release, but if you’ve seen the gameplay footage on our Facebook page, you might be intrigued further. While we have talked about the Yland tier system, now we have a final version of it. There are going to be 3 tiers of difficulty + a 0 tier as the beginning Yland. There you won’t get attacked by anything and you’ll have ample time to get familiar with the mechanics. But the other Ylands are in no way this forgiving. After a few nights, mutants will start hunting on the surface at night and no one will be safe. This is why a sturdy home will be necessary. But the brave may want to venture out into the night to hunt down the dreaded Alpha and stop the mutants from spawning. But this is really a challenge only for the hardened adventurer.

Tier 0.png
Tier 0Tier 1.png
Tier 1
Tier 2.png
Tier 2
Tier 3.png
Tier 3Random Encounter Gear.pngRandom Encounters Gear (not all)

The animals and mutants will differ in power and image depending on the Yland tier and biome. So, for instance, you’ll be able to meet a normal Wolf, but also a Rabid Wolf, Furious Wolf and on the Mutant side a Mutated Wolf, Tainted Wolf and an Infested Wolf with all mutants having their own colour palette. Yland tiers also affect, what you’ll be able to craft in different tiers. So while in tier 1 you can craft leather and stone armour, you'll have to venture into the caves to get the right resources to prepare for tier 2 with for instance iron armour. You also might have noticed some weird armour not currently available in Exploration. This will be only available from Random Encounters, so look out for those Conquistadors in their shiny breastplates and if you want their gear, give them battle!

t1_mutated.png
Mutated

t2_tainted.png
Tainted

t3_infested.png
Infested

We have also decided to open up all the different now available skins to the public since interest in buying them anyway was very low. All the current owners will get a full refund of their Coyns and the skins will now become their own items in Exploration, that Explorers will be able to find in Random Encounters as unique items. So everyone will be able to enjoy the glorious happiness of wearing Legionnaire Armour...if you manage to defeat the mighty Legionnaires ? Also these before exclusive items will be added to the Creators Cube and will be part of the Editor to give Creators even more options for their games.

Zirconium Gear.png

So as you can see, we have big plans with Exploration and it doesn’t stop here. After the release, we have even more ideas to make Exploration the go-to survival platform on PC and we will keep adding new and exciting stuff to this ever-evolving world, that is Ylands!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice video! I like when the gameplay does the talking! 0_0 

Seeing that island in the distance all foggy = 10/10

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Like 4

Awesome! I never thought we'd get islands visible in the distance!

I think it's about time to bring up blueprints for ships again, though. At the moment ships are very difficult to build nicely in explore, and just like buildings and shelters, it would be great to just use something you've built before. Ships are especially difficult to design in explore compared to buildings, so to not have blueprints available for them is a huge miss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, zarwil said:

Awesome! I never thought we'd get islands visible in the distance!

I think it's about time to bring up blueprints for ships again, though. At the moment ships are very difficult to build nicely in explore, and just like buildings and shelters, it would be great to just use something you've built before. Ships are especially difficult to design in explore compared to buildings, so to not have blueprints available for them is a huge miss.

I'll ask about it tomorrow, but I think Aleš told me before, that this is something, that will be implemented but downthe line.

• Upvote 1

Looks fantastic.

My main question is this:  Will the current "explore" mode still be available, in the Editor at least?  Will this new Explore mode be available in the Editor, or do the random encounters cause issues with that?

I am really a big fan of the exploration so i really jaw dropped while seeing the video! AMAZING

Edited by A3_Melle
  • Like 1

Looking amazing! When the vid showed the map icons and waypoint system, that alone had me anticipating the next update, that was a quality of life feature that was sorely needed! I also love the details, the iguana, the new human threats, and of course the tiers of weapons, armor, and mutated creatures! Now there is something to use those cool combat moves on! Keep it coming. 

I have some thoughts on upcoming features. Is there any plan to make the map larger or making the seas have more life in general? 
With weapons, will we be able to throw the spear at some point? After throwing it we could go retrieve it, where ever it may of stuck into.
Lastly, is there currently any plan to implement farm animals? Raising them, breeding them, etc.? 

Thanks for all the great work!

Edited by Antimidation

9 hours ago, Antimidation said:

I have some thoughts on upcoming features. Is there any plan to make the map larger or making the seas have more life in general? 
With weapons, will we be able to throw the spear at some point? After throwing it we could go retrieve it, where ever it may of stuck into.
Lastly, is there currently any plan to implement farm animals? Raising them, breeding them, etc.? 

Thanks for all the great work!

The map will probably stay the same, though we are looking at the 'Connected Worlds' feature and will be working on that after release. Seas, on the other hand, should get a lot of new life in the water update coming hopefully in first half of 2020. especially resources and a way to extract them from the seabed will be a part of this ?

We haven't considered throwing weapons yet, but I'll suggest it ?

And farm animals will also arrive into Ylands next year with a huge animal update we are planning with everything you'd expect from Farm Animals ?

• Like 3

How about making the player map auto updates as players build or a staff command that can update it. or if there is a way in the editor please share ;)

40 minutes ago, Mcloutier87 said:

How about making the player map auto updates as players build or a staff command that can update it. or if there is a way in the editor please share ;)

How do you mean it? Sorry, a bit thick today ?

Okay Adam let me make it easy for those of you with that tiny brain. Haha jk, but i'll try to explain it a little easier. 

As everyone knows there is a map in the game that can be crafted using a Pencil. Well something that would make the game 80% better would be for that map to update when a change is made in the world. Lets say Someone wants to venture out in the open waters and place sand or dirt in the water. this would create a mark on the map showing the dirt that was placed. I created something like this on a game I created a long time ago. It was a world atlas. I ran cron jobs to update it. So what this did was saved images of the world. Im pretty sure that is the way your doing it now due to the fact the map is created when the seed is created. Basically all that needs to be done is re-update the map. I would say do it live but I think it would be fine to let the Admins run a staff command to update it as this will put stress on the server. Minecraft has done something like this. It honestly wouldn't be too complicated to do something like this.

On a side not please add in something to the editor where if I walk into a trigger the NPC will walk to you. The code is there as it works if you put yourself in the vector. But Lets add NPC as well. I have ideas that I need this option for.

Or just let me take over all source code and I'll program the editor for everyone to use

8 hours ago, Mcloutier87 said:

Okay Adam let me make it easy for those of you with that tiny brain.

Maps will have a total rehaul on release, so we can revisit that then. 

https://ylands.com/community/topic/25773-dev-diary-98/

8 hours ago, Mcloutier87 said:

On a side not please add in something to the editor where if I walk into a trigger the NPC will walk to you.

There will be much many more possibilities with the NPC's on release (including setting waypoints), so this might help you.

https://ylands.com/community/topic/25970-dev-diary-101/

Okay so that looks good... but please make it so you can make the map show by pressing M only if you have a required item. At least in the editor. Having a map always available wont fit into my roleplay. 

5 minutes ago, Mcloutier87 said:

Okay so that looks good... but please make it so you can make the map show by pressing M only if you have a required item. At least in the editor. Having a map always available wont fit into my roleplay. 

I think that could be scripted into the editor, that the 'M' key could 'unlock' only after getting a certain item.

okay great to hear ;) off to work. 4.5 hour drive for a job site. only will take 10 minutes and then back home. 

best of luck on the Ylanders

• Like 1