kimbuck

invisible avatars and objects cause rubber-banding...game becomes unplayable

Question

Severe rubber banding ... avatar  wont  move   just spins and  bounces ... so   click in esc...menu...and then back to the game    suddenly an avatar ...or  ship  that was invisible before  now  appears  nearby , and rubber banding  stops ....   so ok,  move along  and    boing! happens  again...  same  procedure ..same result.   Makes   game unplayable 

i include  4  screenshots ... in the first i started rubber banding  near a  house... after     going to menu and returning ..and  avatar  appears  sitting  offline on top of the building ...and rubber banding stops ..see  screenshot  no 2 

i head  back  home and  suddenly   rubber band again ..see  screenshot  3 .. there should be a ship at the dock   but its  invisible !    Go   to menu , and    back ,,  wait  a second   theres a  "whump"  sound and  ship appears ...refer  screenshot 4

This was happening  all around the   island ..invisible  ships and  avatars    causing rubber banding  until  they re appeared  after   the    esc..menu,,ret    action.  The   game  became  unplayable.

output logs  also attached ..also reported in game

output_log_clean.txt

output_log.txt

20191111172250_1.jpg

20191111172331_1.jpg

20191111172506_1.jpg

20191111172541_1.jpg

3 replies to this bug / suggestion

a server restart fixed the issue...it  might be linked to the piles of  offline  abandoned avatars  clogging up the server ..and  memory....affecting  loading. Theres a lot of  bodies  on spawn!

counted  42  abandoned  avatars  on  NA P1  spawn ...no wonder there is lag.! All these bodies  are only the ones i could see .. theres  more  in  underground   rabbit holes...

Of  course they were i all in starter  gear   or  wearing a helmet ...no PB set  up ...    and  most had not  moved  in the last  48  hours.

what is needed in game is a "clean up" facility where an avatar without a PB set up  will de spawn ...but   can be  respawned  at the spawn pint  should they  ever return

This   can be scripted  into  the  game ,  but  would be better as  part of the default  game.

It would force  new arriving players at least to   craft  a hammer and  iron ingot  and repair their   barrier ..otherwise  they  "cease to exist" after a  24 hour logout.

I did not  count those who had a base and  set up their barrier... there were at last  8 on spawn in that situation ...so theres  50  bodies on the island who have not moved in 48 hours

Edited by kimbuck
added extra info.

13 hours ago, kimbuck said:

counted  42  abandoned  avatars  on  NA P1  spawn ...no wonder there is lag.! All these bodies  are only the ones i could see .. theres  more  in  underground   rabbit holes...

Of  course they were i all in starter  gear   or  wearing a helmet ...no PB set  up ...    and  most had not  moved  in the last  48  hours.

what is needed in game is a "clean up" facility where an avatar without a PB set up  will de spawn ...but   can be  respawned  at the spawn pint  should they  ever return

This   can be scripted  into  the  game ,  but  would be better as  part of the default  game.

It would force  new arriving players at least to   craft  a hammer and  iron ingot  and repair their   barrier ..otherwise  they  "cease to exist" after a  24 hour logout.

I did not  count those who had a base and  set up their barrier... there were at last  8 on spawn in that situation ...so theres  50  bodies on the island who have not moved in 48 hours

Hi. Thanks for reporting this. There might be something wrong here, because some of these 'corpses' should be disappearing ? Could you please send over the server logs and the savegame? Might be we could do something about this.