Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #11 - Marci

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we talk to the word wizard Márton 'Marci' Magyar @Marci Magyar. Also check out our 'bonus question' video on our Facebook page ?

Ynterview Marci.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what’d you do before you joined?
I’m the brand/marketing manager, meaning it’s my job to make sure people hear about Ylands and that they hear the things we want them to hear.
Before this, I’ve filled various nebulous marketing positions at GOG, Green Man Gaming and other places that have nothing to do with gaming and as such not worth talking about.

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on when you joined?

A little over a year. The first I thing ever did was to create an overarching marketing strategy for the game, which then served as blueprints for other overarching marketing strategies for the game, which then served as blueprints for other overarch...what was the question?

What do you find most exciting on Ylands in general?
Its ability to surprise you over and over again. When you thought you’ve seen it all, it revamps a feature to make Explore(ation) exciting again or improves the graphics so much that you fell in love with it again. Or you see a new game created by the community that just blows you away and you want to live inside that world. Ylands has this “...anything can happen in the future” attribute and I just love it.

And what is for you the most exciting feature coming in the near future?
The release of the game and the FLOOD of new players and creators bringing their own creativity to the mix.

What are you working on right now?
I bet you are thinking, “he’s gonna say an overarching marketing strategy for the game”. Hah, the joke’s on you! It’s actually an overarching marketing strategy for the game AFTER release!

What was the most difficult thing to achieve to date?
Coming up with the update names. 

What do you do in your free time?
Coming up with overarching strategies on how to play more games while role-playing as an adult with a mortgage.

What is the greatest animated series ever? The Simpsons, Family Guy, Archer, BoJack Horseman, The Mézga Family or some other series?
Obviously, all of these are classics in their own right, but the one I’m going to go with is the one I have the sweetest and fondest memories of: Ed, Edd & Eddy on the old (=good) Cartoon Network.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Nice to put a face to the name :D

I assume things are very busy atm. I'd love to hear more about your marketing plans and even how such plans are constructed if you have time! How do you deal with not knowing what happens in the week post-launch, as-in how players will receive it, and still balance out how much to push for paid media. 

The plan is constructed using a highly scientific mixture of:

• previous experience (both personal and company-wide)
  • industry best-practices
  • stea...taking ideas from anywhere, where they worked
  • a hint of outside the box thinking
  • a good dose of good ol' gut feelings
  • creating a bunch of KPIs and making sure every action we do, push the game towards achieving those
  • coming up with other three-letter abbreviations using our communal tomato soup with alphabet noodles

And as a rule of thumb, we always start with an initial plan and a budget and when we see how a given action is panning out we make adjustments to either that given plan real time (if it's possible - like old fashioned digital advertising) or making sure we modify the next stage / iteration of the plan if it cannot be so easily modified while it's actually running (like influencer marketing).

And as an EVEN MORE general answer: we are planning to support Ylands for many years to come - so the 1.0 release - though important - is "just" another step along the way, so we are not treating it as "this is our one and only chance" situation. We'll do our best - learn from the mistakes / successes and import those into the next update :)

What WILL change however, is that with the release of the game, community feedback and needs will be EVEN more important to us than before and will serve as the main guiding force behind an increasing number of our actions and directions with the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marci Magyar said:

The plan is constructed using a highly scientific mixture of:

• previous experience (both personal and company-wide)
  • industry best-practices
  • stea...taking ideas from anywhere, where they worked
  • a hint of outside the box thinking
  • a good dose of good ol' gut feelings
  • creating a bunch of KPIs and making sure every action we do, push the game towards achieving those
  • coming up with other three-letter abbreviations using our communal tomato soup with alphabet noodles

And as a rule of thumb, we always start with an initial plan and a budget and when we see how a given action is panning out we make adjustments to either that given plan real time (if it's possible - like old fashioned digital advertising) or making sure we modify the next stage / iteration of the plan if it cannot be so easily modified while it's actually running (like influencer marketing).

And as an EVEN MORE general answer: we are planning to support Ylands for many years to come - so the 1.0 release - though important - is "just" another step along the way, so we are not treating it as "this is our one and only chance" situation. We'll do our best - learn from the mistakes / successes and import those into the next update :)

What WILL change however, is that with the release of the game, community feedback and needs will be EVEN more important to us than before and will serve as the main guiding force behind an increasing number of our actions and directions with the game.

Awesome :D, thx for the detailed reply!

• Like 1