kimbuck

Making resources harder to find, and how it will affect the game

The  idea behind the making of  certain resources  hard to  find  to add challenge to the game  has potential problems.  Never  expect  players to  stick to the rules and be  nice and  sociable ..there will always be the  ratbags who come  into a  game to disrupt and destroy, and have no intention of playing the game.  Yes  idiots  who get their thrills by killing all the animals  including other players  tamed horses,  destroying  anything  thats  not locked   down inside a PB  and   stealing  whatever they can ..not to use  but to dump somewhere  

But now we have  limited  resources   that you have  to search  for ,  often inside caves  and  you have  to search ost of the time  do battle   to get them

But  with what?   most  weapons  are inadequate pre  iron.   Iron is   essential but   hard to  find ...so is  coal..

But  what do you do when some  smartypants  blocks  up a cave entrance, then places  a PB  so  you cannot  remove the   blockage?  ..and then that player goes offline, never to return.

How are you  going to   mine coal r  other surface  materials  when  griefers  arrive and place   their PB  so  you cannot   dig the  resources?  ..and yes, they don't  stay, they  go offline  to wait for another game they can do the same destruction to.

Sure makes the game  frustrating,  when you  cannot get  the  necessary material  to  advance because of   idiots...  ( there always will be idiots! ..tis the nature om the  human race! )

Not  every player  wants to  run around shooting things  etc .. they  are here for the exploration and creation. But   the   game is no longer the same as when it  first  started.

You  can never make  100%  of the  people  happy 100% of the time, but  consider those who came to this  game because the liked the initial concept and it was different to other games. The   game  has  changed so much that  the  strategies   have  changed . if   you have to  go  from island to island to find things ,  then  there's no need   for a base,  and  therefore  no need for  a PB. 

At the moment  i am  ambivalent  about  Ylands.  Yup , the  new  promised  1.0  release  looks  pretty,  but still has  functional issues to be ironed  out, but is it what  everyone  wants?

truthful  answer:  NO

Hopefully   there will be   some  modifications  to  make the game  more  playable,  be  less like a  arcade set of  games,  and convince  those  who saw the original promise  see it fulfilled  as such.

Meanwhile  i   wait and  hope  that 1.0  and a few   hot fixes  make it  worthwhile to stay.

I am not  alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

I wish I could upvote this more than once.  I have the same concerns.  I fully expect for trolls to come in and kill all the animals, cut down all the trees, and generally make the game unplayable.   I am building failsafes on my servers.  

• Like 1

if you have to go from island to island to find things , then there's no need for a base, and therefore no need for a PB. 

I would like to stress this one out. Alongside the change "all crafting recipes are now shown" I'm kind of losing the drive and goal of the game. To be more precise, it shifted so much it feels like a different game. It used to be about building a base and gradually improving it thanks to new unlocked recipes found thanks to new materials found exploring (pretty Minecraft style). I thought that the new changes will change it just a bit. I thought that we will see a clear objective before us (get to the next island tier) but won't be really pushed about that. Casually building base and when we feel like it, conquering another island, stripping it of its valuables and treasures and returning home. Where we feel like Kings for a bit. And then we casually upgrade the base with new materials. And after some time, we conquer again. And then home. And then conquer. Maybe building one extra base to be closer to some resources (gameplay similar to Subnautica). Mind you, I've generated just two Exploration maps in 0.15.1 but the islands on both of them were pretty far from each other. Definitely not visible from one another. Caves yet to be found (are they only on Tier 2 and 3?). And according to other posts here on the forum, even basic resources are scarce on the islands. Seems like the best course of action is to build no base at all on the first two islands then. You just go forward and pillage with no place to call home. I don't know if I played any game with similar gameplay to that yet, but ambivalent sums up my feeling pretty well about it. 

• Upvote 3

I think it would be nice if this was a toggle that the server host could select (resources respawn, yes/no?) as when i play singleplayer, i like the fact that they don;t respawn which forces me to keep exploring further. But I can see how on multiplayer this would be an issue -- if you are not one of the "early" players, they you end up losing out on a lot of resources, in addition to griefing potential.

I'd like to see server host have a lot of options. Resources scare/plentiful? Resources respawn yes/no? Game difficulty low/high? Players get a PB yes/no?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sprout said:

I -- if you are not one of the "early" players, they you end up losing out on a lot of resources, in addition to griefing potential.

This is  one of the reaqsons you see piles of abandonded  avatrs on spawn ... theres nothing left for them to  use to craft   equipment to survive or  travel to another  place.

Late arrivals  ( even 2 hours  after a map  is loaded)  can find very little ...and  even less after the  griefers  slaughter the animals  and gather  all the flint  or destroy   food  crops. 

Yea not having enough resources is even difficult on solo mode. I've literally spent hours trying to find iron, the best I could get was from destroying a plane wreckage. The option to show all available crafting recipes just cheapens the experience. It make sense to have that setting only decided by the server admin thought, I'm not sure how this works on multiplayer since I play offline. I suggested they turn those mine able stone rocks into mine able ore rocks that respawn. Maybe they can add the option to make them respawnable through the server admin settings. The only foreseeable problem I can see, is if an ore rock is spawned on top of someones house. So obviously they would have to make them respawnable in caves and make the caves a restricted build zone so that they can't be blocked by other players. Also I would suggest to procedural generate those crystal lights at the entrance of every cave so that they are easier to spot. I appreciate the challenge thought, just not to this extent...

Edited by 1ZombieFan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, 1ZombieFan said:

Yea not having enough resources is even difficult on solo mode. I've literally spent hours trying to find iron, the best I could get was from destroying a plane wreckage. The option to show all available crafting recipes just cheapens the experience. It make sense to have that setting only decided by the server admin thought, I'm not sure how this works on multiplayer since I play offline. I suggested they turn those mine able stone rocks into mine able ore rocks that respawn. Maybe they can add the option to make them respawnable through the server admin settings. The only foreseeable problem I can see, is if an ore rock is spawned on top of someones house. So obviously they would have to make them respawnable in caves and make the caves a restricted build zone so that they can't be blocked by other players. Also I would suggest to procedural generate those crystal lights at the entrance of every cave so that they are easier to spot. I appreciate the challenge thought, just not to this extent...

Thanks for the great suggestions. We are working on a form of respawnable resources and this would be a great way of implementing it.  

If they want them to be underground, maybe islands should have more than one cave.  One large cave system filled with mutants and high value resources, and some smaller caves and holes with basic resources.  A couple could even be RE, such as a small mine with someone guarding it, although that would require integrating terrain into RE generation.  Just a thought.

46 minutes ago, Indomitus said:

If they want them to be underground, maybe islands should have more than one cave.  One large cave system filled with mutants and high value resources, and some smaller caves and holes with basic resources.  A couple could even be RE, such as a small mine with someone guarding it, although that would require integrating terrain into RE generation.  Just a thought.

Not bad suggestion, thank you, I'll pass it on.

22 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

Which is one of the reasons we NEED non persistent avatars.

Non-persistent avatars will happen in 1.1 ?

• Thanks 1

ooh  great   !!!!! :)  Now i will not have to build  my base out over water to dump  avatars through the  floor when they insist  on  going offline  blocking doorways      ......   ?

• Haha 1

Maybe we can have dynamic events such as plain crashes, which can be broken up into resources? I've had a quick glance over the 1.0 release update list but it seems that there's still not really a way of opening a server and set it up in such a way to block most forms of grief, basically limiting you to coop with people you know only. I hope we get a change in this soon!

yesterday  i  visited p1   spawn and replaced   stones   grass  flint   and  sticks ....today they were all gone..  there were about  20  smelters   scattered  around,  100+  bodies   and  tree stumps     and few trees.    most of the trees had  been cut to make  wooden  spikes  to be planted around  avatars in the  spawn area    the  ground looked like a teenagers face suffering from  acne  :)

humans  are lovely  people ...   :)

• Haha 1