Sprout

Runaway boats

I would like it if boats that had no captains, would automatically slow to a stop after a certain distance.

I have been trying to be careful but I keep having an issue where I am under the assumption i am doing one thing (driving forward, disembarking, stopping) and suddenly i am in the water and my boat racing ahead far faster than i could ever have hopes to catch it.   It makes me so irritated i usually just quit that game entirely, and come back later to a new fresh game, but eventually it always occurs again.   I am not 100 percent sure whether it is some sort of lag-glitch that I can't entirely control,  or something I am doing wrong. I've played this game for 2.5 years now, since well before it went to Steam,  and it just periodically always happens to me. Maybe I am a slow learner, I don't know. 

But I think a boat with no captain or crew should eventually slow to a stop.  

edit: Ok once I logged out and when i logged back, the sails were unfurled meaning I could catch it. Another time I could not. Not sure what was up with that.

Edited by Sprout
  • Like 1

several times i have had   time out/  freezes / crashes on a boat  in the open sea ( on  0.15.1)...and when i managed to log back in ,  my ship was well and truly  run aground on the  island i was aiming at..  .if i was not aiming at an island , i would  find my ship aground  at spawn ... sometimes with  new  arrivals trying to  hijack it ( but as i was still at the controls , they couldn't, other than   try whacking me  with an stone axe..)

Before,  if  you fell off  your ship it  would stop  just out of sight and  swimming after it    you could retrieve it ..if  a shark didn't get you ! same with a  crash etc . when you returned swim in the last know  direction and it  would pop into view

I have also  seen  ships   sail past  me  at high speed with a non responsive  captain on board... apparently  offline...   i wonder where they ended up?  :)

So, it pays to aim at  a possible  island  location asap when  sailing  in case you get the "time out"  or  "ylands not responding message" ...   who  knows  where you will end up when you return ... maybe on an ARMA  battlefield?   :)

Well, I give up again for now. just had yet another boat zip away out from under me and off to where I can never catch it. It's too far for me to swim anywhere.

I will come back and look at the game again in six months maybe.

The boats issue is just too much of a gamebreaker for me for now, especially on top of issues with ores etc.

There are other games that are enjoyable to play, this one is just too much frustration.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, Sprout said:

I would like it if boats that had no captains, would automatically slow to a stop after a certain distance.

I have been trying to be careful but I keep having an issue where I am under the assumption i am doing one thing (driving forward, disembarking, stopping) and suddenly i am in the water and my boat racing ahead far faster than i could ever have hopes to catch it.   It makes me so irritated i usually just quit that game entirely, and come back later to a new fresh game, but eventually it always occurs again.   I am not 100 percent sure whether it is some sort of lag-glitch that I can't entirely control,  or something I am doing wrong. I've played this game for 2.5 years now, since well before it went to Steam,  and it just periodically always happens to me. Maybe I am a slow learner, I don't know. 

But I think a boat with no captain or crew should eventually slow to a stop.  

edit: Ok once I logged out and when i logged back, the sails were unfurled meaning I could catch it. Another time I could not. Not sure what was up with that.

I have to say I think that is a great suggestion! :)