Indomitus

RESOLVED [YLD-20879] [YLD-20880] Stealth horses? (not sure if it's a bug or intentional)

Question

I've found that, any time I want to explore an island without having to deal with predators or enemies, I simply get a horse.  They won't react to your presense at all, until you dismount.

...and can we PLEASE fix the horse AI so they're not crowding around the player as if it's a celebrity autograph session?  That's so irritating I've started killing them.

15 replies to this bug / suggestion

The "overly friendly" part happens with both, but at least with a tamed horse you can mount it and ride it to another location, out of the way.

• Thanks 1

NO!  I like the autograph seekers.  

Another thing with horses that is new.  When you summon them, it triggers the predator music.  Sometimes it doesn't go away.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

Another thing with horses that is new.  When you summon them, it triggers the predator music.  Sometimes it doesn't go away.

We'll look into it ?

40 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

They block workstations, and pretty much everything else that doesn't involve them.

hard to shoot an attacking  mutant  with a crossbow   when  a  horses head  gets between you and the target!  :}

So we have fixed the horse crowding issue and it'll be fixed in 1.0.1. Still deciding on Stealth Horse issue. It is as designed but we are rethinking it...

That would be nice.  Being able to use ranged weapons like bows or rifles while on horseback, maybe melee weapons.  Of course those would all need new animations and combat mechanics.

Fair to say, I think this one might take a couple updates to get balanced just right.

It's not cool to have a part of the game where you can be attacked but not defend. Sharks need to be addressed in this aspect before returning them to the game.  There needs to be a harpoon or something you can attack them in the water.

If I can be attacked on horseback without being able to defend, I will probably stop using horses again. 

10 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

It's not cool to have a part of the game where you can be attacked but not defend. Sharks need to be addressed in this aspect before returning them to the game.  There needs to be a harpoon or something you can attack them in the water.

If I can be attacked on horseback without being able to defend, I will probably stop using horses again. 

The thing is with a horse you can outrun most predators. And since a survivor isn't a trained cavalryman, he would probably do himself more harm than good trying to swing a sword from horseback. If a survivor wants to fight, it's better to dismount anyway. But we'll look at cavalry combat (though that will influence a lot and hunting would be much easier too).

@Adam Snellgrove is water combat with sharks being looked at? Historically, you can't even punch them. All you can do is die. Then spend hours getting your stuff back.

Just now, bojo2736 said:

@Adam Snellgrove is water combat with sharks being looked at? Historically, you can't even punch them. All you can do is die. Then spend hours getting your stuff back.

It is getting looked at ?