RedEagle_P1.

Not enough resources for multiplayer

Question

Multiplayer maps have become a rush to get the resources. Pushing that respawning in resources might be a solution. 

• Upvote 1

11 replies to this bug / suggestion

perhaps there should be a way of    respawning  some of the   materials  in limited amounts  on the surface    ...preferably  in an area that  is  not able to be   blocked by a  PB.

Would be a start to making a  fairer,  playable  game. This  should be standard , and  not something   to be added  by  server owners  through  scripting.

I noticed this as soon as i made a new game in 1.0. There is very little to no minerals, are they perhaps found randomly underground too? My beginning island had no metals which is fine but the second island had none as well. I think they might have to make minerals more common then the current setting for sure.

It's definitely out of balance.  With the mutated predators that spawn at night, it's actually easier to farm ylandium on a tier 1 island than to get resources like iron or coal, which are pretty much essential to progressing in the game.  Even something like sticks, if you need to craft weapons or arrows, can be relatively hard to find.

I am building in resources to my map.  I am not counting on this getting fixed soon (or at all.)

I always find myself wondering if the devs really ever play the game.  Let's take for instance the choice to  discontinue the sticks and wood from trees.  In the early game, sticks are pretty important. In the later game hardly at all.  Yet they are concerned about the unlimited resources.  Because players clearly do hoard stacks and stacks of free sticks, wood and bark.  Taking up as much as FIVE slots in a very scant inventory.  

That doesn't happen.  

Edited by bojo2736

there's a difference between playing  a game with like minded  friendly players testing  things    than there is on an open server  with  idiots,  griefers,  kiddies  and  those who simply  join in a game to wreck it for others.  perhaps the   devs   should get  testers to  come into an open server and   try to survive.

Maybe  then they would appreciate  the  input  players  have   provided  about making the game suitable and playable.

Listen to the  feedback !!!! . 

Poor  Adam seems to be shoveling water uphill with a fork, handling  suggestions/feedback  as to basic functionality,  whilst  shiny pretty  things  get added to the game  instead ...

Edited by kimbuck
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 3:32 AM, bojo2736 said:

Let's take for instance the choice to  discontinue the sticks and wood from trees.

In newly created games we have made the appearance of sticks on the floor mcuch more prevalent, so there should be enough (but not in old previously created games unfortunately).

• Haha 1

Should be enough? Not if you cant replenish them.  All it takes is one troll with a little bit of time on his/her hands to pick them all up.  Now new players can't make tools. In probably less than an hour on a server, game dead.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not to mention that even without the trolls, if one player needs to make arrows, they're consumed 10x faster.  I had a rough time with that, just playing on my own.

For sticks, a happy medium could be to make the trees interactable again, but only a limited number of times per day.

I think we've solidly established that even though the new explore maps can be fun for solo or small groups, the situation with resources is not really viable for larger public servers.  I really think we need an alternate form of explore map, specifically for the public servers.

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 1

The trouble is Exploration was never designed as a persistent sandbox game where tens of players join in to build and create but as a survival to enjoy with your group of friends (4-8). We are trying to figure out, how to avoid griefers more, but we don't want to do that at the expense of gameplay itself. There of course is the option for people to lock their games but not everyone does that. At least it is possible for guys like you to make a Explore game with a ton more resources (because you can just paint on the resources) for players who just jump in and don't know better ?

We will be looking into ways to combat griefers, but first we have to get the gameplay to a spot we want.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Indomitus said:

Not to mention that even without the trolls, if one player needs to make arrows, they're consumed 10x faster.  I had a rough time with that, just playing on my own.

For sticks, a happy medium could be to make the trees interactable again, but only a limited number of times per day.

I think we've solidly established that even though the new explore maps can be fun for solo or small groups, the situation with resources is not really viable for larger public servers.  I really think we need an alternate form of explore map, specifically for the public servers.

I agree on all points.  If trees would at least give say 5 sticks or wood (bark is pointless, especially when there are THREE kinds to take up slots in your inventory.) And have a cool off time.  Or if surface resources respawned daily.

So then put the choice into the host. Make it so we can set up whether sticks can be taken from trees like it used to be. At a minimum though, no knife, no teching upward. Running out of Flint on that new starting island is just way too easy. Instead of griefing problems, you have a recipe block that new players can't even get past, whether on an open server or not.

Some options prior to setting up an exploration game, would mitigate much of this and at the host's decision. It's not really a fair comparison, but there is a few games that allow you to set up survival maps and toggle on certain features on or off before creating it. Can't the same be done for this game?

Edited by mid endian
Misspelling with autocorrect.
  • Upvote 1