Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #107

Hey there Ylanders!

So…we have released the game! You can now play Ylands in 1.0. There are new Exploration adventures to be had new Editor features to play around with but most importantly there will be a host of new players coming in trying out your games Creators, because of going Free-to-Play, there should be an influx of players and we need to capture their imaginations ? We are really looking forward to seeing, what you come up with and since you have been with us the longest, we are doubly excited, what new mini-games and even proper games will pop up in the marketplace because you guys know more about the Editor than anyone else ?

It will really be quite exciting in Ylands now, so hold on to your socks. And while I’m sure you’ll all be tinkering with the game now and enjoying the new features, I’ll cut it short and add the facts we were teasing 0.15 last week with for those, that might have missed some.

• Did you know, that Ylands wasn't supposed to have deformable terrain? So Ylands were made out of huge hexagonal blocks that randomly generated glued together.

• We started out with five devs, two of which are still working on the project. Aleš as Creative Director and our Lead Artist Karel. Now there's almost 10 times more of us.

• Did you know, that as the crew grew bigger and bigger, we moved or did a major office layout change seven times ? Most of the team is now stationed in Prague, the capital of Czech Republic.

• There were 4 major UI overhauls before we found the one we like the best…hopefully ?

• There are Currently around 150 Random Encounters that players can run into while exploring. The newest addition were aggressive NPCs.

• In the last two years, we've optimized the game so much that some scenarios increased from running at just 10 fps or less to now running at a steady 60 fps and more.

• Hardly a day goes by here without someone quoting the TV show Red Dwarf.

For instance, Marci and I use this one pretty often:

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."
- Rimmer, Polymorph.

or

"I've been so worried I haven't buffed my shoes in my two days."

- Cat, Marooned

And this has been circulating the office since Adam started doing the Western series… not quite sure why…

"I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy." [Steps up to the bar] "Dry white wine and Perrier, please."

- Rimmer, Gunmen of the Apocalypse

• Did you know, that for the first prototype of the game (that had very little to do with what the game is now) we used a soldier borrowed from the Arma Tactics game as our main character...now we're stuck with Major General ?

And that’s that, so enjoy yourself Ylanders and remember, this isn’t the end, it’s not even the beginning of the end but rather the end of the beginning. Now we’re off again to prepare the next big update, to fix what needs to be fixed and to make the game even better, than it is now. Stay classy Ylanders.

Changelog: https://ylands.com/community/topic/26346-10-ylands-yncoming-game-released/

• Like 5

Congratulations for the final release! Very proud of your hard and passionate work!

Please dont forget about accessibility options like high contrast / or night mode for menus. It needs work! Please! ❤️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBoss87 said:

Congratulations for the final release! Very proud of your hard and passionate work!

Please dont forget about accessibility options like high contrast / or night mode for menus. It needs work! Please! ❤️

Thanks for the kind words. We'll look into it more. Thank you ??

• Like 1

I am pretty sure this is the first time I've logged in and posted, what made me do it you wonder...

Lister: Yo, I didn't know you had any medals. What are they for?
Rimmer: Three years long service. Six years long service. Nine years long service... Twelve years long service.

How many years of service have you given to Ylands?  ? I am not quite at 2 years and looking forward to a 3rd!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Litl Daffodil said:
I am pretty sure this is the first time I've logged in and posted, what made me do it you wonder...

Lister: Yo, I didn't know you had any medals. What are they for?
Rimmer: Three years long service. Six years long service. Nine years long service... Twelve years long service.

How many years of service have you given to Ylands? ? I am not quite at 2 years and looking forward to a 3rd!

Well I am relatively new (4 months) but most are veterans. Aleš has been here from the beginning for instance ?

57 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Well I am relatively new (4 months) but most are veterans. Aleš has been here from the beginning for instance ?

Well in those 4 months you have become a veteran! You really gave social media for Ylands a huge boost! 

All I can say is: it has been a great pleasure looking at all the progress that has been made over the passed few years, I remember back in the early days (first few months in the BI incubator) keeping track of the game and eventually @RaptorM60 got me to play it! Never regret it for 1 day! 

Congratulations to the entire team, still some challenges ahead as a lot of people (including me) are waiting for a console version, but with the PC and mobile 1.0 release the first milestone is set for the future! 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, A3_Melle said:

Well in those 4 months you have become a veteran! You really gave social media for Ylands a huge boost! 

All I can say is: it has been a great pleasure looking at all the progress that has been made over the passed few years, I remember back in the early days (first few months in the BI incubator) keeping track of the game and eventually @RaptorM60 got me to play it! Never regret it for 1 day! 

Congratulations to the entire team, still some challenges ahead as a lot of people (including me) are waiting for a console version, but with the PC and mobile 1.0 release the first milestone is set for the future! 

Thank you so much Melle and to be honest, it was easy joining the team with such a great community to work and play with. 

I'm so glad you're enjoying the game and I am looking forward to meeting you in Prague ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Thank you so much Melle and to be honest, it was easy joining the team with such a great community to work and play with. 

I'm so glad you're enjoying the game and I am looking forward to meeting you in Prague ?

It will definitely be a honor shaking your hand and many others from the Ylands team who I have not met personally yet ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dead8Eye said:

is it now the end of development for ylands? :o 

Can't imagine so, the road map also has 3 things planned on there but not yet implemented 

On 12/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, Adam Snellgrove said:

so enjoy yourself Ylanders and remember, this isn’t the end, it’s not even the beginning of the end but rather the end of the beginning. Now we’re off again to prepare the next big update, to fix what needs to be fixed and to make the game even better, than it is now. Stay classy Ylanders.

2 minutes ago, leo_chaos said:

Can't imagine so, the road map also has 3 things planned on there but not yet implemented 

this is why iam a littlebit confused :D "isnt the end, its not even the beginning of the end but rather the end of the beginning" .. this means "we arent in EA anymore but now we are in EA" XD this is whats them calling me.

30 minutes ago, Dead8Eye said:

is it now the end of development for ylands? :o 

No.  They still have a lot of things planned, including better water simulation and the return of the sharks.  (that sounds like a movie)

Speaking of sharks, there was mention of an exclusive pet for the early access players.  How do we claim our special flying friend?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dead8Eye said:

this means "we arent in EA anymore but now we are in EA" XD this is whats them calling me.

I assume it's more like, they've got Y-Lands to a point content wise that it can be released as a finished game, BUT they're still working on it and adding to it regardless

1 minute ago, Indomitus said:

Speaking of sharks, there was mention of an exclusive pet for the early access players.  How do we claim our special flying friend?

Mine was automatically in my inventory in game

3 hours ago, Indomitus said:

No.  They still have a lot of things planned, including better water simulation and the return of the sharks.  (that sounds like a movie)

Go to where you can choose your pet.  Hit I for inventory, upper right corner.  We got two pets and special costume.  Which I wish we could pick our colors or at least color it in the dye station. 

Thank you for all your great work! Looking forward to what YOU all create next! Here's to an exciting year ahead of you. Stay classy, Bohemia.

• Like 2