Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #14 - Tomáš

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we talk to one of our designer wiz (and a bit of a Mobile expert), Tomáš Pavlík!

Ynterview - Tomáš Pavlík.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what’d you do before you joined?

I'm a designer. I pitch ideas to others and they tell me they like them while looking like they just bit down on a lemon. Before I started working here, I was just gaming a whole bunch and doing odd jobs to survive until my next online fix.

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on when you joined?

I've worked here for 2 and a half years, time flies when you're old, and the first thing I’ve worked on was I believe the painting system. Which has turned out as quite overcomplicated when I look back on it now. But at least there is freedom to choose any colour, which was not always on the table.

What do you find most exciting on Ylands in general?

Probably the visual scripting. What players manage to create there sometimes just boggles the mind. But when I first got into it, it was just about the exploration aspect for me. Creating my own ship and turning it into a moving base and then just sail from yland to island. Bliss.

And what is for you the most exciting feature coming in the near future?

Well now that the game released and we consider it somewhat feature complete, I'm most excited to see what players manage to create with the tools in the editor.

Other than that I would like to see some polish of some features in the upcoming months and I look forward to it one day being as fun and as user friendly as possible.

What are you working on right now?

Right now there is a load of minor issues that need to be thought out before some code magician takes a crack at it. Editor logic related things and mobile version camera behaviour are some that spring to mind.

What was the most difficult thing to implement to date?

Honestly it's hard to say. I feel like every task has its challenges. And there is always a lot of conflicting ideas about how to tackle it elegantly. Game detail screen is still fresh in my mind because it has been done recently. It's surprisingly convoluted and difficult to comprehend for a UI feature. A lot of eventualities to consider. Although the difficulty of it makes it more interesting in a way.

What do you do in your free time?

I try not to game as much as I used to because it’s just not compatible with having time in my case. When I get into a game it’s a binge marathon of red eyes, backpain and oversleeping.
I try to do as much physical activity as possible. I've taken up rock climbing several years back and I feel like it’s the best sport for me. The combination of puzzle solving, physical strain and fear for your life strikes the right balance between madness and enjoyment.

What is better? A fruit salad with potatoes or Pizza with pineapple? Why?

I will never support such a heinous sacrilege against potatoes. The pizza with pineapple is better because pineapple contains the enzyme bromelanin that is actively digesting the ham that it's placed on. So the food is essentially eating itself on the plate. Which is both metal and also convenient, because I'd never eat it. It looks gross.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3