Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #16 - Xeniya

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we talk to one of our wizarding programmers, that through a series of incantations keep the game working, Xeniya Vondrášková!

Ynterview - Xeniya.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what'd you do before you joined?
I'm a gameplay programmer and previously I also worked in the gamedev industry in a smaller Czech indie studio. In fact, I've never worked anywhere else than in the gamedev industry. :)

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on when you joined?
In February I will have worked here for 4 years. The first thing I worked on, if I remember correctly, was the first ragdoll iteration.

What do you find most exciting on Ylands in general?
I really like the options the game provides, that you can do almost anything in it. From time to time, I browse the Workshop and I'm amazed by all the things that players are able to create in the game.

And what is for you the most exciting feature coming in the near future?
I'm personally looking forward to a working water simulation. Waterfalls would be really awesome. :)

What are you working on right now?
We're still improving the general AI, but I personally mostly concentrate on NPCs now. Also, I - as almost everyone else in the team - do polishing and bug fixing here and then.

What was the most difficult thing to implement to date?
I don't think there are easy things to implement, but if I had to choose the most memorable ones, that would for me probably be the recent AI overhaul and the new combat mechanics.

What do you do in your free time?
I'm a passionate gamer (I love epic RPGs where you have to save the world or, preferably, the whole universe and everything that lies beyond) and apart from video games, I also enjoy playing board and pen and paper games. I like reading as well, mostly fantasy, sci-fi and murder mysteries.

Would you rather spend a holiday in Greece with a really chatty ostrich or go to Starbucks with George Clooney (he will be moaning, that you didn't go get a Nespresso instead)? Why?
That's an easy one - definitely Greece with the ostrich because I love travelling so much that I could easily survive a chatty ostrich (even the chattiest one).

• Like 3

Hey Xeniya, nice to read your intervew:

". Waterfalls would be really awesome.  "  hooooo yeeeaaah.

• Like 1

Hey Xeniya, great job on learning all the hard math to implement nice features in Ylands!

What games are you currently playing? (If you aren't, I would suggest Ori the blind forest forest, it has beautiful art)

Hello and thanks! :)

What games are you currently playing? (If you aren't, I would suggest Ori the blind forest forest, it has beautiful art)

Right now I am playing Crusader kings 2, which is - despite of not being the rpg - a great game :) My latest additions to the finished games were Call of Cthulhu and Disco Elysium (amazing one!). I will definitely check out Ori, thanks for the tip!  

• Upvote 1