Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #111

Hey there Ylanders! 

And we’re at it again. A new feature is coming and here I am to talk about it. We have a small update coming your way soon. It will mostly be fixes and polishing, but the team managed to sneak in a few cool features too. And today I’d like to show you the upcoming Editor Wizard

Wizard.jpg

So this guy will pop up after you open any new Editor map. For a lot of people (me included) opening the Editor can be quite daunting and it isn’t immediately obvious, what should one do to get started, but the wizard is there to help out. It will take you through the first few steps of game creation to get everything set up and ready for your creativity. He’ll show you where to set up Universal or PC only options, how to pick a map type and he’ll even offer you a few templates. For the experienced creators, he is just one button away of vanishing into thin air ?

Ylands_4x_200116_124222.pngYlands_4x_200116_124143.png

And you might’ve noticed I mentioned templates. Yep, that’ll also come in this update. We’ll have a few templates ready for you: The City and Oasis. More will be added pretty much with each update and this will give you an easy way to set your game in a certain setting without building everything from scratch. The maps will be optimized and welded, but you can unweld what you want and play around with it ? We’ll also be adding a few Editor Showcases, maps you might have seen in the marketplace but ready for you to properly explore in the Editor and see, how everything works and what’s is under the bonnet of these games. This should help some with formulating their own scripting ideas and using techniques, that some of our talented designers came up with.  

image (3).pngimage (2).png

With these features, we’d like to make the Editor more accessible to more players because while it all seems very complicated, it really isn’t once you get into it. It’s just those first few steps, that are the most difficult.  

So, hope you liked the new Wizard and until next time, 

stay classy Ylanders! 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

And the Nitrado servers?

Actually could have some news soon, even though it's been dragging like a monstrous desert slug.

• Haha 1

I shall tell you ffrom a friend of mine, that he finds very sad that the map of the exploration mode was made smaller

15 hours ago, PercyCreeper said:

I shall tell you ffrom a friend of mine, that he finds very sad that the map of the exploration mode was made smaller

It makes us all sad, but it was a technical/Unity necessity. We are working on a way to combat this though.

• Upvote 1

How was it a necessity?  There has been no improvement in stability or performance since the old, larger, maps were replaced.

I note that you are looking at introducing a way to expand the maps (perhaps by linking worlds together?). It will be interesting to see whether or not we have to pay for this feature.

2 hours ago, TheSparkPlug said:

How was it a necessity?  There has been no improvement in stability or performance since the old, larger, maps were replaced.

I note that you are looking at introducing a way to expand the maps (perhaps by linking worlds together?). It will be interesting to see whether or not we have to pay for this feature.

It will be included in the Exploration DLC. 

On 1/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, Adam Snellgrove said:

We’ll also be adding a few Editor Showcases, maps you might have seen in the marketplace but ready for you to properly explore in the Editor and see, how everything works and what’s is under the bonnet of these games. This should help some with formulating their own scripting ideas and using techniques, that some of our talented designers came up with.   

This is a good idea. The hardest part to getting started that I am finding is Googling or finding scripts to see what and how scripts work so I can learn from them.  When the in-game editor [?] wiki button fills out, then that will help too. All the games are protected in the workshop. A filter to show any protected games  (for tutoring help) would be welcome even though there might not be any at the moment. It would help finding the few that there are, when they become available. 

• Like 1