Sign in to follow this  
Malaka135

Collision Detection

Any way to add a way to detect collision between two entities? Such as in the event listener. Regardless of speed, just the fact that two objects touch each other. I want to be able to handle two vehicles hitting each other or a vehicle hitting a wall and detect it. The alternative of using triggerzone or raycast right now is too complicated and unreliable.

Collision detection between two entities is sadly not possible right now, and is not planned in foreseeable future.. :/ 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NaruTheHuman said:

Collision detection between two entities is sadly not possible right now, and is not planned in foreseeable future.. :/ 

Could we request something else in its place?  We could create our own collision detection with Trigger Zones, but making them follow a player close enough to work would require animation techniques that could have bad side effects.  (Putting timers or loops at 0.03 seconds gives a smooth animation but can cause performance drops.)

Would it be possible to have a tool or command to make an entity or logic automatically lock onto and follow a player, maybe with an optional position and rotation offset?

(Of course, I might have missed something that's already there.  I haven't done much with the animation scripting yet.)

Edited by Indomitus

Well, I have a triggerzone using the FOLLOW TO player. 

But as you say, having many of them can cause performance drops, maybe? I haven't tested with a lot of them, tho. 

I tried this.  (I had not noticed that tile because I don't use much animation.  I really need to explore more in the Editor.)  I think that it should work fine.

I would worry about performance only IF they were animated manually.  The FOLLOW TO command works in a different way, and should not have that problem.  As long as Speed and Acceleration are high enough, and Distance Start and Distance End are both 0, it should follow the player perfectly.

Edited by Indomitus

On 1/21/2020 at 2:40 AM, Indomitus said:

I tried this.  (I had not noticed that tile because I don't use much animation.  I really need to explore more in the Editor.)  I think that it should work fine.

I would worry about performance only IF they were animated manually.  The FOLLOW TO command works in a different way, and should not have that problem.  As long as Speed and Acceleration are high enough, and Distance Start and Distance End are both 0, it should follow the player perfectly.

Yes, distance is set to 0 and speed&acceleration is high enough to have the triggerzone always at middle of the player. 

off-topic: in some cases, instead of using Animators l, you can use the tiles MOVE TO and ROTATE TO

My current alternative is just setposition/setrotation on vehicle but since its constantly moving, it doesn't trigger properly. Vehicles are already wonky as they are so doing a collision detection like this just failed horribly. It is also very inconsistent, sometimes it'll trigger when the front or wheel of the vehicle enters the zone, sometimes it only triggers when the center of the vehicle enters. I don't quiet understand fully myself how it operates but it can't work for me as it is since different vehicles have different sizes, hence I can't fine tune the zone sizing to get it to trigger only on collisions. Large vehicles would hit before their "point" hits the zone and smaller vehicles will trigger before even colliding.