Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #17 - Naru

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we talk to one of our designers, that is responsible for some of the neat things you see on Social Media, @NaruTheHuman!

Ynterview - Naru.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what’d you do before you joined?
 Professional henchman and office mascot! Besides that, I am currently a junior designer. Before I joined, I was just an amateur henchman and since this is my first job, nothing else, really. ? 

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on when you joined?
I have worked on Ylands for nearly 2 years now, but most of that time I was here just as a part-time tester. I don’t really remember what I did a week ago, so I have honestly no idea what I worked on when I joined. Something in the editor for sure, though. 

How did you get your nickname Naru?
 Well, my first cosplay was Naruto, and it just kinda stuck with me.

What do you find most exciting on Ylands in general?
 In one word, Editor. There are so many possibilities and potential, that it allows you to turn any idea of yours into reality, no matter how unrealistic it is. Well, nearly any idea... ?

What are you working on right now?
 I am currently working on some new features for the City Shootout and on one new game that will hopefully appear on the workshop soon.

What was the most difficult thing to implement to date?
 Probably the terrain map generator table, since there was a lot of moving parts and raycasting together, so making it run smoothly was quite a challenge.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

What do you do in your free time?
 I like to wander around in nature, even though it mostly just leads to me getting completely lost. I also like playing and creating games, of course, watching movies and cosplaying. There is probably way more, but this should do.

Would you rather listen to Adam talk to you about, what he thinks about anime (even though he only ever saw three episodes of One Punch Man and a bit of Pokémon) or go one on one against Kaguya Otsusuki? Why?
Definitely one on one against Kaguya! Because odds of me surviving that are still greater than surviving even 2 minutes of listening to Adam. I am probably gonna suffer for this, aren't I... (Editors note: yes he is)

• Like 5

Oh look the guy with weird hair  ?? I like it eheh

Uh oh, that would be a fun fight. I won't bet on you tho ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bob Salvador said:

wow love the map that creat bloc after bloc, look realy nice. 

I think the technique used is called "procedural map generation".

Is commonly used to generate maps/land/groung/hills randomly

That map thing is cool and all, but do we players have access to the small blocks?  I need those. 

I used round steel rods. :) They are hexagonal, so they create quite a nice pattern when you put hem together. :)) As far as the map goes, I first generated a grid above the terrain, used raycast from individual points on the terrain, and then assigned the elevation to the rods. ^^ Will make some kind of a tutorial, as soon as I have a bit of a free time. :) 
Little tip, using LERP between green and red color for different elevations makes the whole thing way better. :) Here I used small trigger zones instead of the rods, with the colors. x)

zonees.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NaruTheHuman said:

I used round steel rods. :) They are hexagonal, so they create quite a nice pattern when you put hem together. :)) As far as the map goes, I first generated a grid above the terrain, used raycast from individual points on the terrain, and then assigned the elevation to the rods. ^^ Will make some kind of a tutorial, as soon as I have a bit of a free time. :) 
Little tip, using LERP between green and red color for different elevations makes the whole thing way better. :) Here I used small trigger zones instead of the rods, with the colors. x)

zonees.gif

I speak for myself, I need that tutorial. I'm lazy enough to think about it and try for myself ??

On 1/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, bojo2736 said:

That map thing is cool and all, but do we players have access to the small blocks?  I need those. 

They look more like recolored large steel rods than blocks.