Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #117

Hey there Ylander!

Today’s Dev Diary is going to be pretty ‘Fantastic‘ (PLEEAASEE excuse the pun). We’ll have quite a lot of new creatures joining us in 1.2 and they truly come from a different realm. We already hinted that the upcoming update will be the ‘RPG update’ (official name WiP ?) and here is part of what we meant.

So in 1.2 Golems will make their rumbling entrance being a real challenge for any Adventurer. These larger than life creatures are great for protecting valuable treasures, being part of elaborate puzzles or a great way to just scare the bejesus out of any player.

Ylands 2020-02-27 11-34-00-08.jpg

But these won’t be the only enemies entering the fray: The Wendigo and the Goatman. Both will be a superb addition to any dungeon or creepy ritual ring in the wild. These monsters behave uniquely in that they prepare and then charge ferociously towards their prey. They usually hunt in packs, but even a single Wendigo can ruin a player’s day.

Ylands 2020-02-27 11-48-26-78.jpgYlands_4x_200227_151209.jpg

From the misty shores of far off lands the Elves have made their grand entrance. They are a new type of NPC, which will make any fantasy setting come alive with these graceful inhabitants. Sure, you can make them aggressive towards the player, but they are a great new addition for colourful quest givers, traders or just inhabitants to meet on your travels. Also with a bit of innovative colouring you can make Dark Elves or Vampires and other creatures ?

Ylands 2020-02-27 11-11-59-45.jpgYlands 2020-02-27 11-50-45-42.jpg

Of course, you’ll also be able to find the Golem, Goatman, Wendigo and the Elves in countless new Random Encounters, which will spawn in newly created Exploration maps. You’ll get to meet the new Elves, battle the fearsome Wendigo and complete puzzles to satisfy the watchful Golems. Also, the crystal Golem will randomly appear in caves to give even the most experienced explorer a run for his money (and his life).

Ylands 2020-02-27 11-12-27-19.jpg

And that’s it for now, but keep a close lookout here and on our Social Media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) for more information regarding our plans and updates ?

And until next time, stay classy Ylanders.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bojo2736 said:

I see new doors. 

Also ? Definitely the focus of the update ? But nice spot ? Also there is one more creature I didn't mention in the Dev Diary in the video ? Wonder who spots it first ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

I saw something that looked like a shaggy Rhino at the beginning.

Yep, it's the woolly rhino ?

7 hours ago, jchob said:

I feel somethingike D&D can be made now

That's the idea ? 

How cool would it be to be able to tame rhinos and bears and be able to ride them?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

How cool would it be to be able to tame rhinos and bears and be able to ride them?

How right that is! :)

Nice additions!   MiniPyelot immediatley translated the runes. "ZFDAGNO"

What can this mean? Some secret Elvish message??  or nothing in particular...?

Runes2.jpg

2 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

From what I see, that is coming "soon", I believe. 

7 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Yep, it's the woolly rhino ?

That's the idea ? 

Turn based and dice roll might not be much "interesting" in ylands. But the basic role-play could be made. Like spawning encounters with the new monsters, adding more damage to weapons (mage would be harder to handle the effects, but...). 

For example: D&d castle ravenloft, legend of drizzt, etc. 

• Like 1

It's look like there is a new terraformation system too, no ? the hole of the cave is clean comparing to actual caves. Am I crazy ?

4 hours ago, Bob Salvador said:

It's look like there is a new terraformation system too, no ? the hole of the cave is clean comparing to actual caves. Am I crazy ?

In a post that I started about height of terraforming, Adam mentioned that will be some changes concerning terraforming.

• Thanks 1