Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

Wacky Painters (in need of testers!)

This game mode was going to be one of many in my "Multi-Mode Party" game, but after playing for a while in Playlands this weekend, I think it can stand on its own.  In fact, I kind of think a polished version of it could be Playlands material if it survives multiplayer testing.

Wacky Painters

Each player is assigned a color.  You have 60 seconds to paint as many blocks as you can.  Look out, because other players can repaint your blocks!  As a special treat, you can watch the painting come to life on the wall!

It needs:

• Multiplayer testing and feedback.
  • Some design TLC.  It's supposed to look like a museum.  I'd like to replace the stone fence with a red velvet rope, for example, and replace the "pole" frame around the painting.  It's supposed to look classy.
  • Honestly, I'd like more frantic, fun, upbeat music to go with it (and not PVP ominous) but that's on Bohemia.

I've been pretty lazy about getting my other ones tested, but I think this one needs the attention first.  (The other ones are good, too.)

Quick edit to say:  It is Mobile compatible, and I'm pretty sure I set it to cross-platform.

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 2

That looks awesome.? If you want us to test the game or help with anything, PM me and we can make it happen. I'll look into the music and I can help with the map as well.?

I'm going to try to check in on P1's Discord to get things started, if there's anyone there evenings.  I don't normally get home from work until after 6pm local time (Eastern Standard).

I'll make a point of stopping in.  That actually gives me a little time to optimize and add little touches to the script, like assigning random colors from the list instead of sequential as the players join.

Would it better for me to try and host it, or make a share game?  (I haven't tried using the B.I. servers yet.  Just Nitrado, when that was an option.)

Got a wild idea today to help with decorating this game, and it might be something fun for creators to play with as well.

I'm going to try using the same technique from this game to make another game that can make actual paintings, using a large canvas of blocks and a paint gun, and it will transfer it to a smaller size so they can capture it and use it as decoration.

17 hours ago, Indomitus said:

I'll make a point of stopping in.  That actually gives me a little time to optimize and add little touches to the script, like assigning random colors from the list instead of sequential as the players join.

Would it better for me to try and host it, or make a share game?  (I haven't tried using the B.I. servers yet.  Just Nitrado, when that was an option.)

Send us the file and we can host it during the party. We have a rig for it. 

I think the testing went really well today.  And no surprise to me, I didn't win any rounds.  I can make them but I can't play them, lol.

That was fun.  I need to stop in more often.

So from here I think the plan is to work it into 2 versions.  One version would play on repeat until someone wins a certain number of rounds, and would be posted in the Workshop for players to host their own games with friends.  The other will be stripped down to a single round, which would better fit the Playlands format (if B.I. is interested in it).

@RedEagle_P1. suggested showing player totals during the round.  To keep the code fast and efficient, I decided to just show the leader's score beside the leader icon at the bottom (and I turned off that ugly crown).  That code runs every 0.2 seconds, and I want it as short as possible since I also have potentially several dozen blocks being triggered at the same time.  Plus I don't want to clutter the UI.

You also suggested it could be used to make a game like Scribbl.io.  The big hurdle on that would be how to create the list of words, make it long and diverse enough to be fun, and (of course) translate it.  It might be possible, but I'm not going to try that one.  When I share this one, others can try whatever they want with the techniques I used here, and I'm sure they'll do some really cool things.  I'll move on to other stuff.

• Like 1

@IndomitusI found a android game called Ins and Outs, and I realized that maybe your system could be implemented to create it. I think I have an idea how you Made your system that is why I giving you that idea. You don't loose nothing looking into it.

And from 1 idea, you get the wacky painters Ins and outs. 

Maybe it doesn't sounds fun, but that's me that I have fun with boring games(the android game). 

?

Edited by jchob