Hi, I wanted to ask you how you Made the biomes for the Ylands, because I also want to make a little open world game with Unity, but dont know how to make biomes. 

Hi, I wanted to ask you how you Made the biomes for the Ylands, because I also want to make a little open world game with Unity, but dont know how to make biomes. 

On 3/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, PercyCreeper said:

Not sure how ylands system works, but in general, to crate a open world, to generate maps, there is a technique called procedural generation. 

Just Google or YouTube for unity procedural generation map. You will get a lot of tutorials. 

I sometimes like to play with Unity but I just make very simple stuff. 

Hope that helps on your path ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jchob said:

Not sure how ylands system works, but in general, to crate a open world, to generate maps, there is a technique called procedural generation. 

Just Google or YouTube for unity procedural generation map. You will get a lot of tutorials. 

I sometimes like to play with Unity but I just make very simple stuff. 

Hope that helps on your path ?

I also heard about it, but couldn´t find a tutorial for biomes or something like that :/

1 hour ago, PercyCreeper said:

I also heard about it, but couldn´t find a tutorial for biomes or something like that :/

Well, a biome is going to be something that's partially randomized.  You'll have a definition for that biome, a set of objects and attributes that the biome should have such as plants and animals, terrain and resources.  Determine what region of your map it will cover, then randomize locations for those things within that area.

I think it's worth mentioning that things like this are never 100% random.  There's always boundaries and parameters, but with certain things randomized just enough to make it look naturally random for the player.  A sandy beach, for example, isn't going to have a jagged shape, but a rocky cliff face might.

• Upvote 1